This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth fireheart View Post
    CWA=basically women living in country towns who support each other in various ways (because it gets lonely talking to the 'roos ). They're more well known for a cookbook.
    not to mention their scones!

Comment

I should add on this one...

Bogans do not tend to partake in either of these locations. Like Latekin said, Bogans are typically suburban. While they may appear to be patriotic by means of displaying southern cross tattoos, covering their house and vehicles with Australian flags and yelling "AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE OI OI OI", they do not particularly have the time, patience or respect for places such as the RSL, which are often suburban...
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Or Eureka flags.

Note for Americans: 'biscuit' does not mean the unsweetened-scone-like thing that you guys call a 'biscuit'. Biscuits here are more similar to cookies.

Note II: the CWA version of the ANZAC biscuit recipe might as well be official. CWA cookbook recipes are pretty much the Standard Australian Foodstuff recipes.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Question, what do you call the things we call biscuits?
          My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Savory scones.
            Patient has severely impacted cranial rectosis. There's probably no cure. - Overheard in ER

Comment

Quoth Latekin View Post
              Savory scones.
              Or if you screw up the recipe...bricks.
              The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

And if you ever get invited to a CWA function, for the love of all that is good, go. They make the best cakes, biscuits, scones and, well, everything.

I have been lucky enough to go to a few events because my Gran was part of them for a big number of years. She's 91 now and doesn't bake as often, but she supervisors me doing it instead.
                A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                  Question, what do you call the things we call biscuits?
                  We don't really have an equivalent to that.

I second going to CWA places to eat. At the Ekka (Brisbane's annual 'Exhibition' or 'Show'), there's always a CWA dining hall. It's the BEST place in the entire Ekka to eat, and it's almost never actually busy!
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                    Lesser Spotted Island Bogan (Boganus Hobarticus)
                    [
                    Also their lesser known subspecies, Boganus Glenorchius and Boganus Gagebrookii.

Contemporary versions of both subspecies are known to favour flannies knotted around their waists, hoodies, usually in bright colours (females) or black (males). Tooth to tattoo ratio is usually low. Blundstone boots are favoured by the males, although they rarely if ever work in them. Females quite often seen wearing synthetic pink, fluffy, sequinned versions of the uggie, from the KMart Boutique, because they can't afford the real ones. Puffer jackets are often seen paired with shorts, black tights and flats.

Females from both subspecies can be recognised by the frequently uttered call of 'We don't get inter the city much! It's too far souf.' Usually heard at bars, pubs or other establishments selling alcohol.

Right here, it should be noted that when heading north from Hobart, one hits Glenorchy, or the start of the Flannelette Curtain, approximately 8km into the trip.

The Gagebrookii is an interesting specimen. Frequently they appear to develop incendiary properties, which results in fires in their residential premises, or more commonly, unoccupied premises in their suburb.

The classic versions tend to stay in their native areas, congregating at popular local watering holes and hunting grounds (aka pubs and shopping centres).

Boganus Ruralus is another subset. These are the bogans that live in rural areas, small towns and 'blink and you miss it' villages. Not much is known about this group, they tend to stick to themselves, rarely if ever travelling more than 30km from their birthplace. Even less is known about their language, it appears to be standard Island Bogan, however is quite incomprehensible to the casual visitor. If one of them addresses you, it's best to just smile and nod. They'll know you're a foreigner anyway.

Comment

Any hope that part 2 is on the way?
                      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Working...
                      X