This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extremely Rude Waitress Tonight

Friday was my birthday and one of my aunt's gave me a gift card to a very popular Italian chain restaurant (OG). I love their alfredo sauce and my wife loves one of their soups. So we went for a late dinner and there was no wait. I already knew what I was going to get and which wine I'd drink. I don't drink wine very often but I was pretty excited for a nice glass of Riesling. We get seated and order drinks. Waitress comes back and they are out of the Riesling which I asked for. Whatever, only a dollar more for the other one and it was good. We place our orders and as usual, I order salad that I plan on giving to my wife since I don't eat it.

The waitress comes back with soup and salad and notices I gave my plate to my wife. She gives me a plate and when I try to politely refuse, she insists that I try the salad. I try to explain I don't like salad at all but she tells me to try it or she'll take my wine away (jokingly). I grabbed a plain crouton and ate it but apparently that wasn't good enough. I had to eat a piece of lettuce with dressing on it. I should have just requested the manager on the spot but I didn't. Instead I just gave her a death stare and told her I wouldn't do it. I'm 27 years old and if my mom couldn't get me to do it in 27 years, no way she could. My wife wasn't helping things by encouraging me to try salad (I made sure to speak to her about that later).

The whole thing put me off. I barely touched my dinner after that. I've been in a bad mood the rest of the night. I've only left a super crappy tip once before but this was my second time and I definitely left her more than she deserved. I went online and filled out the survey from dinner and ripped her a new one. Requested someone email me back about it.

I've never been so pissed off before because of a dinner at a restaurant.
    "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

I don't blame you in the slightest for feeling that way! What an idiot that waitress was! I don't usually encourage the 'allergies' card but I might have been tempted to play it on that occasion, just to get rid of her.
    "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

My hubby is a super taster and she would have had a mess to clean up after he rejected the salad.
      "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears." – Rudyard Kipling

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

Comment

I would have demanded a manager & then then have gone somewhere else.

Comment

I wouldn't have tipped her at all. What she did was totally out of line. She treated you like a kid. I mean, forcing you to try your wife's meal? Who DOES that? And joking or not, threatening to take your wine away is really really stupid and rude.

Comment

That waitress was being ridiculously rude...I would have not only not tipped her, but I would have complained directly to the management.

Comment

Quoth KatherineB View Post
              I don't blame you in the slightest for feeling that way! What an idiot that waitress was! I don't usually encourage the 'allergies' card but I might have been tempted to play it on that occasion, just to get rid of her.

Please, please, please, please don't ever claim an allergy if you don't have one. It makes it really difficult for those of us who do have allergies to safely eat out.

Instead, use your words:

"<Waitress>, you are being extremely inappropriate. Please go get your manager so we can arrange to have a different person wait on me, as I no longer feel I can have a pleasant evening with you as our server, based on your actions."

It's polite, honest, and drives the point home in a way she'll never forget.
              At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

I personally would've tolerated trying the salad (I too prefer my salads sans dressing), but she's there to be my waitress, not my mom.

And honestly, what she did is just plain bizarre to me.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Rule 1: NEVER comment on someone's food choices or try to force your opinion of such on them. I was force fed potato salad around 2/3 years old and have never been able to go near it since. I also battled an eating disorder. You never know what people have been through or what their reasons are and NO ONE has the right to pass judgment. Even what someone may consider a harmless comment may, in fact, do great harm. Talk about an idiot, what was she thinking?! I am glad you were able to open a dialog with your wife regarding your feelings about that evening. I also agree with mathnerd about claiming allergies.

Comment

What pudddykat said. ^^

Honestly, did this woman think you'd never eaten lettuce before? Once the food is on the table, it's none of her business who eats what. What a twit.
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth pudddykat View Post
                      Rule 1: NEVER comment on someone's food choices or try to force your opinion of such on them.
                      I wish everyone listened to this. I have a hard time eating veggies and any kind of meat that isn't ground or bacon because my aunt and uncle had to force-feed me as a kid when I didn't want to eat what they put in front of me, whether because I was full or just didn't like it. It's turned me into a resistant eater (on top of being a supertaster), which means I gag at pretty much the thought of eating something in the groups I don't eat, and it requires therapy we can't afford to fix. But the point is, even though I can tolerate salads with enough dressing, the idea of ANYONE forcing me to eat something would make me break down and cry. That waitress was horribly wrong and I believe she deserves to be AT LEAST strongly reprimanded for this, and possibly fired.
                      The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

That waitress had no right to demand you try the salad. Frankly, I'd have asked for a manager and let them know what stunt the waitress pulled, harassing you into "trying" something you already knew you didn't like. And that's exactly what she was doing, harassing you. What you eat at a restaurant is your choice, not hers.

All I ever ask of my kids is to at least try something once. After that, I don't push it, because I've had peas, peaches, and grits forced on me as a kid and now I can't eat any of the three.
                        If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

That's just the most... Horrible... Just sucky. And stupid! She won't get any tips that way. My mom never made me eat things. I wanted to try everything! Of course I had things I didn't like, but nobody ever made a big deal about it. For example, I didn't care for steamed veggies, so my mom left some out raw for me. I do remember absolutely hating to eat dinner at a certain friend's house. Her mom made you eat everything on your plate, and she served you. I was totally miserable, which I think is the way most people feel when forced to do something...
                          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I do make my kids try small amounts of new foods a couple times over the course of a couple months or years (tastes do change over time) before they are allowed to declare them unliked. By a small amount, I mean a half a bite or so. But these are kids who sometimes reject stuff just because it's new only to find out they really do like it after they've tried it. If they try it and hate it, then they are allowed to politely decline it in the future. There's a vast difference between that and some stranger trying to force a full grown adult into eating something he doesn't like.
                            At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

I would have gotten up and found a manager myself so she didn't have a chance to spind it in her favor with them. That was so inconsiderate! I don't mind the wait staff suggesting something as I am ordering, but to MAKE me eat something? Oh hell no!

Comment

Working...
                              X