This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• positive thoughts request

It's been awhile since I've made a post on this subject, but because it has, unfortunately, come up again, positive thoughts and prayers would be appreciated.

To make it short - my daughter is facing another possible pregnancy scare. She has been taking her birth control as she's supposed to, she should be having her period this week, but nothing has happened. Heather was also recently on antibiotics for a UTI, and her doctor has told her that these can reduce the effectiveness of birth control pills. (not sure how much of a myth that is, but not having a period yet is the only reason Heather's worried)

Anyhow, I won't go into all the reasons why it wouldn't be a good idea for Heather to be pregnant, just that I don't have the financial resources to deal with whatever she would decide to do.

Give her a home test to ease both your minds. It's probably nothing (if she's a teenager, teen periods are notoriously unpredictable anyway) but either way you'll know. Good luck!
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

That's what she and I plan to do, if nothing happens by next week. And admittedly Heather is the paranoid type, and she's had other things majorly stressing her out, so I'm not jumping to the conclusion that she is pregnant. (if there were other symptoms, that would be different)

Comment

If she just started the pills, her periods might be really weird for a while. Other than that, there are a whole load of things that could cause missed periods. My body used to skip every third one just for the hell of it. It's more than likely nothing to worry about.
        The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

If you are in the U.S., please consider going to Planned Parenthood. I believe they use a sliding scale for fees. They are not just for abortions - they do medical exams and can advise her on birth control backup, and advise on more than just the one option should she actually be pregnant. Just a thought. Hope everything works out well for her.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

What family of antibiotic did she take? IIRC, it's the tetracycline family that doesn't "play nice" with hormonal birth control (rule of thumb - use a backup barrier method from when you start taking it until the start of your next period). Other antibiotics (e.g. penicillin family) are OK.

As a side note, your daughter should be using condoms in addition to the birth control pill, for STD protection.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

My friend had fibroids and they wreak havoc on your cycle. She'd go from a super heavy, long, painful period to nothing for three months. Good luck and good wishes that it's not a pregnancy.
              Last edited by Sunshine; 03-15-2015, 06:02 AM. Reason: need to learn how to spell

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                What family of antibiotic did she take? IIRC, it's the tetracycline family that doesn't "play nice" with hormonal birth control (rule of thumb - use a backup barrier method from when you start taking it until the start of your next period). Other antibiotics (e.g. penicillin family) are OK.

As a side note, your daughter should be using condoms in addition to the birth control pill, for STD protection.
                It was for a UTI, so I assume it was from the tetracycline family. (My mom was the one who took Heather to the doctor this time, so I don't recall the exact name of the drug) My understanding though, is that it's never been "officially" proven that these antibiotics affect birth control pills, so doctors caution patients to be on the safe side.

And again, if Heather were showing other symptoms besides a missed period, and she had missed one or more pills, I would definitely suspect pregnancy. For now though, she told me she's taking a test tomorrow with her boyfriend there, because they just want to know for sure.

There's a lot I'm not saying about this because it's more into Fratching territory, but I will say one of my concerns is that my mom's side of the family didn't react too well when I got pregnant, and let's just say it would be a lot worse for Heather. (and I do NOT think she realizes that)

*Sorry if I'm rambling, this is just something I need to get off my chest, and I'm hoping/praying for a negative test result*

Comment

An update - Heather took a home pregnancy test last night, and again this morning, and both were negative. Don't think it needs to be said that was a huge relief, but on the bright side, at least she feels comfortable going to me with this sort of thing.

Comment

Great and yes, to have her confidence means a lot. Hopefully the alarms will continue to be false for the next 5 to 10 years.

Comment

Working...
                    X