This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grocery Store Logic

I would appreciate if someone would explain this to me.

At the grocery store I go to, large 2'x2'-ish support columns sit in some of the aisles. They used to be slightly off to one side, so that you couldn't fit your cart in between it and the nearest shelf, and if two carts were trying to pass each other, forget about it. Well, the store recently remodeled and moved the shelves a bit, so now the posts are slightly towards the OTHER side of the aisle. It really isn't that hard to center them correctly so that people could get by on either side.

I just want to know why they didn't center the posts. It's a minor nuisance, but this confuses me. Any theories?
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

The posts are probably where they need to be for structural support, a remodel wouldn't change that, and it's obviousnthey were taken into consideration when planning the new layout...

Comment

Quoth prjkt View Post
      The posts are probably where they need to be for structural support, a remodel wouldn't change that, and it's obviousnthey were taken into consideration when planning the new layout...
      He means why didn't they relocate the *shelves* to give the most room around the columns during the remodel.

Comment

Quoth ComputerNecromancer View Post
        He means why didn't they relocate the *shelves* to give the most room around the columns during the remodel.
        *She

Don't feel bad, it's not the first time someone's done that, and it won't be the last.
        The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

Comment

I recall the grocery store I used to shop in with my Mom as a wee kidlet had a support column that couldn't be moved, so the aisle it was in just made an abrupt 90 degree turn and ended right there, rather than break up the flow of the whole layout.

Funny how you remember stuff like that... that was 30 years ago, doubt the STORE is even there still.
          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

We have a few columns completely blocking sections of shelf. So customers can't reach the product, and forget about placing tags. There are tags (and product) in those blocked sections...I don't even try to put tags there because there's no way I'm getting my hand in there without injury (I might be able to get it into the space, but getting it out would be tricky). The tags somehow end up on the pole (I didn't put them there), and then customers complain because they don't know what the tag is for, and the suits complain because it looks bad.

We could just use the space behind the poles for backstock of the items around it, we have enough shelf space...but that makes sense, so of course is not allowed Any shelf gaps must be filled by items that never sell but they look pretty (my store does not need 30-odd square feet of mayonnaise).
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Aragarthiel View Post
              *She

Don't feel bad, it's not the first time someone's done that, and it won't be the last.
              That's more common here than you think. Doesn't help that so many names are gender fluid or gender neutral. Same goes for where peeps are located.
              The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                Same goes for where peeps are located.
                I believe that would be the candy aisle.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                  I believe that would be the candy aisle.
                  Or the seasonal aisle.

Comment

Working...
                  X