This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mood: Foul and Getting Fouler

It seems like everything about the past two days has been calculated for maximum irritation.

Friday:

1 -- I woke up that evening to the joy of... this medical condition. This medical condition is both debilitating and humiliating, and it's really quite difficult to do your job when you have to run to the bathroom throughout the night.

2 -- There were too many arrivals still due to check in when I got to work. I hate that.

3 -- I have a comment war going with a stupid person in my local newspaper. She thinks I'm evil and wicked and terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad because I'm gay. I disagree. She's too stupid to stop and I'm too hardheaded to give up, so the battle rages on.

4 -- In the morning, I was desperately looking forward to getting the hell out of there. Seven o'clock rolled around and... nothing.

5 -- ...Still nothing.

6 -- ...Nothing still. I called the incoming manager and the person who was supposed to relieve me. She called him repeatedly, and finally learned he had slept through his alarm.

7 -- ...I finally got to go home an hour later, which is bad because Saturdays are the days that I definitely need my sleep, because I work both jobs on Saturday. I have to be up at three in the afternoon to go to my other job. My last guest of the shift was a woman who was in house but who had not been checked in. Her reservation had dropped into no-show, and because we have an archaic, third world computer system, it's a ludicrously complicated process to get someone out of no-show and into the system... only to get them back out, so the woman -- who was waiting very impatiently -- could get her receipt.

Saturday:

1 -- The medical condition continues unabated. I got some Imodium on the way home to deal with it, and while it says you're only supposed to take four pills in twenty-four hours, I threw caution to the wind and was taking them whenever a bout hit anyway. Five bouts in, and six pills later I gave up because it wasn't doing a damn bit of good anyway.

2 -- I got drafted to work this coming Wednesday, my one and only day when I have nothing to do. I'll be working at another property, where things are done just differently enough from this property to ensure that I fuck it all up and probably get yelled at.

3 -- To work at that other property on Wednesday, I had to take an online training course so I'll be able to sell overpriced miniature bottles of liquor to obnoxious businessmen. That property has a convenience store attached to it, you see.

4 -- I did not have a security guard. The medical condition makes it hard enough to do one job, let alone two, so nobody's getting their receipts under their door tonight. Too fucking bad.

5 -- The comment war with the idiot continues unabated.

6 -- I have not been able to handle my paperwork tonight without slicing my hands open. I have a ladder track of paper cuts going up the inside of my left hand.

7 -- Due to the medical condition, I've had to wash my hands well over a dozen times. The skin is dried out, flaking, and cracking open thanks to that.

8 -- I'm hoping the Imodium has kicked in because now when I visit the bathroom due to debilitating cramps, nothing comes out. I could really do without the cramping though, but I'll take constipation over the medical condition.

Fuck my life. Fuck it with something hard and sandpapery.
    Last edited by Antisocial_Worker; 03-29-2015, 10:19 AM.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

Oo, deep sympathy. My gallbladder is fractious and gives me bouts of the runs so I have plenty of experience with it =(

I can recommend going to a craft store and buying a brick of the pure glycerin soap that crafters add crap to for 'artisanal soap'. If you don't add all the shit to it, it is very gentle. All soaps work, you do not need antibacterial shit that is doubly hard on your hands. You can keep a small block of it in a small soap box and take it to work with you. Also keep a bottle of a good lotion to use every time you wash. You can use superglue to seal papercuts [I would go for surgical grade if they are really deep though.]

One thing that worked with the last serious bout I had that almost hospitalized me was once I was outputting pretty much nothing but water, the doc fed me 10 probiotic caps over 2 hours, and then kept me full of fluids and started me on about a cup of live probiotic yoghurt, and then segued into 2 days of the BRAT diet. Apparently instead of worrying about the constipation, he used it to give my guts time to build up a colony of probiotics. Didn't bother me, I like bananas and apples, good fiber and very tasty with cinnamon and a dash of honey. We subbed in brown rice for the US standard white crap, and some of the good multigrain bread with lots of good crunchies in it.
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Yah whenever I start to experience that particular medical condition I head straight for the pro-biotic yoghurt in my fridge. Always does the trick for me. It's good to have on hand to keep things running smoothly.

Comment

Try something like Midol for the cramping. I'm serious. I have intermittent digestive problems at certain points in the month, and getting some relief from the cramping helps a lot.
        "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

if you've had antibiotics anytime in the previous few months it could be an even worse possibly serious* medical condition.

*if you consider potentially fatal "serious"
          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
            if you've had antibiotics anytime in the previous few months it could be an even worse possibly serious* medical condition.

*if you consider potentially fatal "serious"
            Oh dear. BlaqueKatt is right. Imodium will not fix C.diff. It's hard to get it to stop. Call the doc, you need to find out if that's what's happening.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I have nothing for the medical condition other than sympathy, but I have a suggestion for the papercuts. My boss at work and I bought some coconut oil. It works wonderfully. We are constantly getting paper and cardboard cuts.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                Oh dear. BlaqueKatt is right. Imodium will not fix C.diff. It's hard to get it to stop. Call the doc, you need to find out if that's what's happening.
                YA, cdiff is *nasty* - though apparently they have been having excellent results with using fecal transplants to repopulate. That is one therapy I hope gets wider research done on it - gut flora is a very interesting field from what I read in my science clippers.
                EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                  YA, cdiff is *nasty* - though apparently they have been having excellent results with using fecal transplants to repopulate.
                  A couple things I've read about the subject (when it hit the local newspaper):

- Fecal transplants have been referred to (by the experimenters) as "repoopulating" the intestinal flora.

- Someone in my local area has a working (lab-level, probably needs more work to get it to a manufacturing-level device) artificial digestive tract to produce usable fecal transplants without the risk of getting "hitchiker" organisms that might be brought in by using a fecal transplant from an actual person.

One of my own thoughts on the subject: would a sample of a customer's brain be suitable for use as a fecal transplant?
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

A couple words of caution for the FMT procedure: it's currently used for the intractable C-Diff cases. FDA hasn't approved it yet, so I doubt that the majority of insurances will cover it. Nobody's particularly sure what the hell is going on with the procedure, only that it usually works when nothing else seems to work.

That being said, there are some... colorfully named "blood bank" type companies where you can purchase a sample if you're comfortable with giving/receiving what's essentially an enema (I'm not recommending, but I've heard stories of RNs with C-Diff and time on their hands). Also, there's some anecdotal evidence that skinny/obese donor patients can cause the recipient to lose/gain weight, though NOBODY is recommending this procedure for that.

Finally, I recommend NOT getting together with a group of clinical folk to discuss this procedure when you're the only one amused by puns and toilet humor.

Comment

Quoth minchazo View Post
                      there are some... colorfully named "blood bank" type companies where you can purchase a sample if you're comfortable with giving/receiving what's essentially an enema
                      My understanding is that it's not done via enema - since the need is to repoopulate the small intestine (enema would get it into the large intestine), the method of administration is either via a modified feeding tube (main modification is putting it in further so it goes past the stomach and into the intestine) or packing dried material into capsules which are swallowed. Don't you wish you could recommend to SCs that they get a fecal transplant?
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                      X