This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shark tank

Or for those in the UK, dragons den! Who watches it?

The aussie version is currently airing and I'm weirdly enjoying it. My partner and I are having fun guessing if they'll actually get an offer or not and some of the products or businesses are interesting.

Having said that though, we also at the number of people who screw things up royally. For example, in tonight's episode alone:

-a food-truck coffee/pasta van had a good concept and were doing semi well, they just wound up wanting too much for so little (they were the only guys to walk away with any sort of offer, they asked for 250k at 15%, one of the sharks wound up offering 50-50 split instead.)

-a "boys deodorant that also acts as a fabric/shoe deodoriser" had a semi good concept (all natural deodorant) but wound up screwed from the moment they mentioned that to get a single bottle of this shipped to someone cost $17 total ($10 for a roughly 500ml pump bottle of the deodorant plus $7 shipping) and their business was still "fledgling" (their market research and the like also sucked a bit). They at least asked for a fairly modest amount ($50k and 20% stake off the top of my head)

-a woman was selling a "tongue scraper" that honestly had a slightly poor concept to it (one of the sharks mentioned he does do a tongue clean, but has a one handed thing, her thing needed 2 hands) and her presentation also sucked.

-the crux of it though was a guy who had a sound concept (basically a database of different classes, so for instance if you wanted to find an Italian class in your area, you could search and book through this guy's website instead of having to arrange things with the tutor directly. This had the extra benefit if the tutor did not have their own website) but completely fucked up his presentation, came in asking way too high (200k for 2.5%) and mentioned that he couldn't make a decision without his other business partners being present. On his way out, he then had the balls to ask the Sharks for advice on what he should do next time. That was the only thing he got right all night!

Anyone else watch their versions? Anything you like/dislike? One I did like was the two women who set up a family daycare that caters to kids with disabilities...except the whole time I was screaming at them "your staffing levels aren't right!" (they did get an offer.) I say that their staffing levels were a bit off because they were aiming to have no more than around 5-15 kids to a room (off the top of my head) and 3-5 staff per room. Except for the fact that depending on the age of the kids, they're going to need more staff than what they were quoting.
    Last edited by fireheart; 03-29-2015, 12:31 PM.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

I watched a couple episodes, and all I remember is one pair who lost their offer because they didn't hold the patent, it was a third person who didn't want to be involved, and they couldn't understand why that was a problem.

And another one who even though the investor was willing to provide capital, his own manufacturing facilities(and raw materials), his own distribution chain, and his marketing team, the owner didn't want to give up any percentage of the business. You generally don't get good results asking for the moon and offering nothing in return.
    Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

for those curious of the Aussie shark tank here's a link

http://tenplay.com.au/channel-TEN/sh...ogle_SharkTank

Comment

There was one lady who was doing quite well as a chocolate wholesaler and wanted to open a retail brick and mortar store. Her presentation was good and she wasn't quoting a stupidly high figure (I think it was 100k for 20%) but the Sharks all backed out, citing the issue with darrell lea as why (similar concept and they wound up closing their brick n mortar stores. A shame really...I used to love doing their pick n mix!). On the plus side, they did encourage her to focus on the wholesale aspect, so even though she didn't necessarily get money, she did walk away with some sound advice.

I have noticed that while the sharks might be somewhat ruthless, they are at least polite and willing to help those who want the help-even if it's not necessarily giving them money, they are at least helping them get somewhere.
        Last edited by fireheart; 03-30-2015, 07:23 AM.

Comment

The Canadian version (also called "Dragon's Den", and it had O'Leary and Herjavec before Shark Tank started) had a great one where a guy wanted to build a self-contained apartment complex that would launch itself into space when the environment tanked on Earth. I believe the ask was something around $1 million for 2%.

There was another guy asking for money to copyright a cellphone that was implanted beneath the skin behind the ear. No business plan, no prototype, no research, couldn't answer basic questions about it (how do you plug the battery in to recharge?), nothing, just an idea.
          "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Quoth El Pollo Guerrera View Post
            There was another guy asking for money to copyright a cellphone that was implanted beneath the skin behind the ear. No business plan, no prototype, no research, couldn't answer basic questions about it (how do you plug the battery in to recharge?), nothing, just an idea.
            I think I heard about that one...that was VERY squicky

Comment

Working...
            X