This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being considered for an internship...

Long story short, I recently had an interview this last weekend for a possible internship starting in early August.

IF I am accepted, I will be working for a minimum of 5 months at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida (Possibly longer if my program is extended - all depends on my work record while I'm there)

I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch, but I can't help but remain optimistic, the interview was EXTREMELY laid back, almost like it was more a formality than an actual formal interview, as if they were just checking to make sure what we put on our applications was true and that we know we are there to work, not just to party and mess around.

The wait to hear back is driving me up the wall though - I should hear back later this week, or the end of next week at the VERY latest since the Australia interviews start at that time and they want to let us know before those begin.
    Violets are blue,
    Roses are red,
    I bequeath to thee...
    A boot to the head >_>

Application rejected. Story of my [censored]ing life. I'm never going to get out of this country.
    Violets are blue,
    Roses are red,
    I bequeath to thee...
    A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Well that sucks.

If you really want to get out of NZ, try applying for a work visa for UK, Ireland or Canada. Or if you are capable of dealing with kids, you can do summer camps in the USA. If you are under 30, it is pretty easy.

I have lived in both UK and Republic of Ireland. I'm an Aussie but the rules for Kiwis are similar.

I went through https://www.bunac.org and I would recommend them to anyone wanting to explore other countries. Basically, this company helps you make sure you meet the criteria and have filled out all your visa application paperwork properly before submitting it. Once you land in your chosen country, they help guide you through getting a bank account set up and register with tax departments. They can also help you by looking over your CV for things specific to that country. They also help with other things like tenancy issues, travel advice/tours, learning public transport and generally how things work in that part of the world.
      A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, but it needs to be USA - Prime reason being my significant other lives there, I want to move closer to her, not equidistance/further away.

Also looked into the whole summer camp thing, those things are a scam IMHO since between insurance, airfares and other "fees" that you are expected to fork out, it worked out all up to over NZ$10,000. I wouldn't even get my money back by the end of the program.

Quoted from one of the sites advertising International Experience/Exchange Programs:

How much does it cost?
        We recommend that you have at least $8000-$10000 to cover all your expenses.

Program fee: $995
        Visa & SEVIS: $195 USD
        Insurance: $1300 to $2000
        Flights: $2200-$2400 approx. It depends on where you fly into (I should note that a lot of places typically it costs less than HALF that, meaning that they are tacking on almost $1,000 just to make it a 'flexible airfare')
        Proof of funds: $1000USD with a pre arranged job, $2000USD without a pre arranged job+
        Last edited by Kagato; 03-31-2015, 08:09 PM.
        Violets are blue,
        Roses are red,
        I bequeath to thee...
        A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Try other theme parks. Cedar Point in Ohio has a very large foreign workforce every year. Any of the seasonal theme parks are probably the same way.

Comment

Working...
          X