Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! - What to ask potential housemates?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a not very big 2-bedroom apartment, so, like Jester, it would feel even smaller if a couple + me in the apartment. And there is definitely not enough room for a parent + child.

The 'no pets' and 'no smoking inside' is a clause in the lease. I will not be losing my bond because of someone breaking those rules. And while I agree a house feels more like a home with a furbaby, again it is a small apartment with a small balcony and that is really not fair for a dog or cat. And birds terrify me. Fish are allowed on the lease though.

I actually live in Oz now. No longer London but I would move back there in a heartbeat.

The website it is listed on allows you to pick anything you would prefer in a housemate. That part is a list at the top of the ad and I didn't copy that into the post.

People that I simply will not share my living space with include:
    -Religious nutters - people who's only goal in life is to 'convert the heathens' with everything from a particular sport to particular diet (e.g.: vegan, no sugar, organic only) to actual religions. I like being a heathen. Don't have a problem with other people's beliefs as long as they are ok with non-believers.
    -Racists and homophobes - I have too many friends that are gay/bi/whatever from all different parts of the world.
    -Party person who wants to have parties at the apartment all the time - I've never really been a party person. I could probably deal with people over once a month and then I would rather a movie night with a few people. And again, small apartment that maybe could fit 15 at most.

Oh yeah and I need to go to the agent with a short list of 3 people and they will be doing the back ground checks for me.
    A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
      even worse is to discover housemate's "friend" trying to crawl into *your* bed because housemate passed out.
      Anyone who tried to do this to me would probably need an ambulance by the time they managed to get away.

I wake up violently when people touch me or move the blankets/bedding. I have long nails and a screech that could shatter glass or eardrums. I also have 2 very thin metal poles next to my bed for the odd times I need to re-enforce my knee when I am having a bad pain night. And yes, I am able to use them as weapons, even though they wouldn't break bones. They were originally for marching and twirling at my dance club, although they are thinner than ones used at most USA cheerleading and twirling comps.

Mr Naked was given 60 seconds to get his clothes and get out before I called the cops. He managed to get out in 54.
      A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Quoth Blue Ginger View Post
        People that I simply will not share my living space with include:
        -Religious nutters - people who's only goal in life is to 'convert the heathens' with everything from a particular sport to particular diet (e.g.: vegan, no sugar, organic only) to actual religions. I like being a heathen. Don't have a problem with other people's beliefs as long as they are ok with non-believers.
        Years ago, while looking for a me domicile, I went to a place that had a room for rent in a shared house. I've lived in such situations before, and am not opposed to them; generally it's just like a larger apartment.

However, in this case, the person I met with would not only be one of the roommates, but was actually the owner of the house. And in comversation with them, it came to my attentions that they did not allow drinking or overnight guests in the house.

Now, I have no problem with people wanting to live a certain way. Especially if they own the house. Goes back to the whole "my house, my rules" train of thought. And I'm fine with that. But I also would never live in such a place. Because, to be perfectly honest, I enjoy drinking and I enjoy the occasional nighttime company of a woman. And any place that has a problem with such things is a place that I am not going to live.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
          I'm not exactly past that stage of my life, as I still not only party hardy, I often put people younger than me to shame. I can throw down, thank you very much, and I often do.

And very, very much looking forward to the day I have my own damn place!
          My apologies, sir! I really should have known better

After I finished up my BSN I decided I was done with roommates. Best decision I ever made.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

As cool as my roommates are (and they are pretty damn cool, as much as I may bitch about them), I stlll look forward to having my own place, but such a situation is not feasible for me while I live in KW, where rent is very high. At least not if I want to do anything but work and go straight home, and never leave the apartment on my days off.

One of many, many reasons I want to move back to Phoenix.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

Jester, I don't think I've ever encountered a question about a roommate having a child. I would think the number of people would count, as in "one person to a bedroom", but a potential roommate bringing along a child is not specifically addressed on the websites. Interesting question though! If that became a concern for anyone, my advice would be to check with local agencies that deal with housing law.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                As cool as my roommates are (and they are pretty damn cool, as much as I may bitch about them), I stlll look forward to having my own place, but such a situation is not feasible for me while I live in KW, where rent is very high. At least not if I want to do anything but work and go straight home, and never leave the apartment on my days off.

One of many, many reasons I want to move back to Phoenix.
                Years ago, I really, really, really wanted to live in San Francisco. It's just such a cool city (even if the Charmed Ones are fiction not fact).

I couldn't afford it. I couldn't even afford to live in the greater Metropolitan area. I lived in Salinas, way south. It sucked. And it was still too expensive. I ended up moving to Chico. Still expensive. I did like it there a lot. But I never could have afforded to buy a house.

North Carolina's cost of living is so much more reasonable. And I like it a lot here, as well.

Have to admit though: if I ever could afford to live in San Francisco, I'd do it.

I liked your home town, too. Did a travel nurse assignment there once. Great town.
                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Ok, so have interviewed a number of people but none are a good fit so far. Well except 1 was a possibility, but she just found out her work is transferring her to another city.

But holy fuck people can't read or look at photos. The photos show a completely empty room and I state twice on the ad that they will need their own bedroom furniture. The amount of people that message me asking what size bed there is is

I've had 3 people asking me if I can lower the rent. 4 asking if bills are included where I have clearly put how much bills are a month. Oh and one with a horse sized dog. Yep nope, not happening. The ad says 'no pets' and that sized dog deserves a backyard.

And hell, if you are 19/20 and your hobbies include 'drinking and partying and getting wasted' do you really think you are going to fit in with a 30 year old housemate that states they are 'not a party person'? Really. Just take a second and think about that.

Someone kill me now.

Comment

Working...
                  X