This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't go anywhere!

This week's been eventful, with what, three posts in this forum so far? This one takes the cake though, seeing as I can't even leave my own house without encountering something. Hopefully this will be the last so far.

Background: I was born in Arizona and moved to Georgia as a teen, so I never learned to use "Ma'am" and "Sir." I've been here for almost a decade, and for some reason, things like the following JUST started happening.

I had to call customer service for a club I'm in to cancel my subscription. It was easy enough (no wait time, no phone tree), until I got the snootiest woman I've ever encountered on the line.

Snooty woman: SW
    Me:
    Hubs: Hubs

SW: "Thanks for calling [business], how can I help you?"
    Me: "Hi, I need to cancel my subscription."
    SW: "Ma'am."
    Me: (confused) "I'm sorry?"
    SW: "You didn't say Ma'am."

I was stunned. I've met people in person who did this and it was irritating enough, but this was just unbelievable.

Me: "Could I speak to a supervisor?"
    SW: "Ma'am."
    Me: "Just let me speak to a supervisor."
    SW: "If you use proper grammar, then yes, I will."

Hubs had been listening in (the phone I was using isn't loud but tends to project conversations a couple feet), and he took the phone from me. I could just picture her sitting at a desk with her beak two feet in the air.

Hubs: "Are you giving my wife problems?"
    SW: "[something something] teach [something something] Ma'am."
    Hubs: "Get your supervisor on the line right now, Ma'am, because you are out of line."

I assume she was satisfied with the sarcastic "Ma'am" because she got her supervisor. My subscription got canceled and a complaint was filed against her. According to the supervisor, she's like this a lot, and we got the feeling that they were looking for a good reason to can her.
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Wow, really? I wonder if she's the same lady who called our office a few weeks ago - she got hopping mad at one of my guys because he said "uh-huh" and demanded a supervisor. Her complaint was that he was rude and impertinent.

Do you know how hard it is to go through an entire conversation deliberately trying never to say "uh-huh"?

Comment

Holy shit, aren't we special?!!

She was absolutely out of line. She's a customer service rep, it's not her place to "teach people manners." The first "ma'am" should have come out of HER mouth, not yours!
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Geeze, usually the EWs are the sucktomers, not the employees!

I hope that supervisor comes down on her hard.
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
        X