This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cancer and tinfoil

So my company has started their annual fundraiser for a local group; scratch tickets to help cancer research. This year, shift leads have 'teams'; not sure what that's about. I don't mind selling tickets, but the first time someone goes off on a rant (which I know they will)...no. I'm not on register that much anyway (how am I supposed to sell tickets on SCO? ask each customer who calls me over for a problem?) As part of our uniform all frontend people have to wear these cheap looking, pastel green t-shirts. The front says "Ask me about curing childhood cancer". This led to an amusing WTF yesterday.

I was bouncing back and forth between standing in the main aisle (can answer questions but impractical when it gets crowded and hard to get to someone who needs help) and the service desk (out of the crush, can see what's being scanned at all kiosks and more importantly customers can see me; they tend to look toward the front when calling for help anyway). ASM sees me by the desk and complains at me to get back in the aisle to answer questions...if I'm answering dumb questions I can't watch SCO.

So I'm standing back there trying to avoid being rammed with carts *wonders if I can get the store to reimburse me for shinguards*. A customer comes up to me and before I can say anything asks "Do you know where aluminum foil i--" Looks at my shirt. "Oh I'm sorry, you're curing cancer, you don't know anything about tinfoil."
    (who knew that research was being conducted in the grocery store? ...I guess we could use the rats/mice in the trash room as subjects)
    Me: *at this point I'm way overdue for my break and a bit snarky* "Oh no, tinfoil is very important to curing cancer; the researchers use it to wrap their lunches and also line the autoclave. Can't have the research without fed researchers and sterile equipment after all. It's on aisle 8."
    Customer parses this for a second and then bursts out laughing. "You better not be hoarding it all for the research, I need some to cook dinner!"
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
    I was bouncing back and forth between standing in the main aisle (can answer questions but impractical when it gets crowded and hard to get to someone who needs help) and the service desk (out of the crush, can see what's being scanned at all kiosks and more importantly customers can see me; they tend to look toward the front when calling for help anyway). ASM sees me by the desk and complains at me to get back in the aisle to answer questions...if I'm answering dumb questions I can't watch SCO.
    For managers (like yours) who expect you to simultaneously do 2 jobs which physically can't be done simultaneously by the same person, tinfoil is important - as a raw material for their milner to use.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Technically I'm doing 5 jobs...4 cashiers (way too many people expect me to hold their hand on SCO) plus loss prevention. While a frontend job description does say "other duties as assigned", I'm pretty sure LP is outside the scope.
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
      X