Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks to everyone for all the responses. This is going to be harder than I thought. I'm going to parse some of that dry run ride for context.

1) Long stretches of the ride to work are along "multi-use paths" built for cyclists and pedestrians, including two miles of the Eastern Trail and the Barrier Lane on the Bay Bridge. They're a welcome respite from traffic.

2) Regarding the on-the-sidewalk, off-the-sidewalk thing, Portland has gone to a lot of effort to advertise themselves as a pedestrian-friendly city, which means that for a cyclist, it's impossible to tell whether you'd be safer in the travel lane or on the sidewalk. It is literally a moment-by-moment assessment. The sidewalks are huge and cycling is allowed, but then you see what looks like the entire cast of "Friends" walking towards you abreast, all of them seeing you very clearly yet not one of them deviating their pace in the slightest, and you're going back into that travel lane - whereupon a parked car opens its drivers' side door at you. (Fortunately there was no one in the travel lane.)

3) The "On your left/on your right" thing only works if other people are listening. I was crossing the Bay Bridge and this guy was ambling along without a care in the world, and without a warning my bike was going to be invading his personal space. However, despite saying "On your right," a couple of times, he just continued ambling, until I was trailing along behind him at about 2 MPH. "Hey!"

I heard the buzzing of another cyclist behind me, and heard, "On your right," no louder than I'd said it. For some reason, the guy not only noticed that one, it seemed to startle the hell out of him. He jumped as if stung and flung himself against the suicide fence, staring at me as if he'd seen a ghost while the other cyclist cruised past.

This cycling thing is going to take a certain degree of cooperation. I can't ever remember a time when, as a pedestrian, I stood my ground and glared defiantly at an approaching cyclist as if to say "No, YOU move," but if you're under thirty and live in Portland, this is clearly the hot new game to play.

Downtown looks like the only place where there's any question about where to put the bike. Broadway is usually pretty traffic heavy, but they have breakdown space and hardly-used sidewalks, and everything else is bike path. I think I apologized to more people on that one-mile stretch of Congress than anywhere else.

Comment

The other day I had a green light going straight and some nincompoop on a bike turned (what be left for him) racing straight across the intersection. SERIOUSLY?! I watch out for bikes and I am careful around them but for the love of Pete don't actively try to become a street pizza. I concur with what the others said as well.

Comment

This seemed apropos.

http://www.lamebook.com/no-thanks-2/no-thanks-2/
        Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Her is a short video by Bruno Bozzetto about how to drive safely. Bicycles appear at 1:26.

Be prepared to spend a few hours if you watch his other videos.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Watch this video, and try not to contemplate how many hits of acid went into its production.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth pudddykat View Post
              The other day I had a green light going straight and some nincompoop on a bike turned (what be left for him) racing straight across the intersection.
              Roughly a year ago I had a green light coming out of a shipper in NYC, and a cyclist on the cross street was TICKED OFF that I didn't stop for him. Excuse me? I had both the right of way (green light) and right of weigh (18 wheeler with 40,000 pounds of cargo vs. bicycle). There's stupid, and then there's asking for a Darwin award.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Just don't be a GOOD cyclist of the good indian style....
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Ride as predictably as possible. If people can accurately guess what you're about to do, they can (but sadly, not 'will') avoid you.

Be as visible as possible.
                  - high flag attached to the bike; in reflective safety orange.
                  - reflective spoke clips on both front and back wheels.
                  - reflectors on both front and back mudflaps (or as close as possible if no flaps).
                  - BOTH battery and dynamo lights: the battery lights make you visible when you're stopped (eg for red lights), the dynamo lights are much brighter.
                  - reflective safety orange leg cuffs to keep your pants out of your chain.
                  - reflective safety orange vest, if only a set of straps in an 'X' pattern in summer.
                  - can't hurt to put safety orange reflective tape on your helmet, either.

If your luggage obscures the visibility of any of these, put the lights behind the luggage carrier; and put tape on your luggage.

Get a GOOD bike mirror; and use it.

Have a good bell that's easy to trigger. When you absolutely need it, you don't want it to fail.

Have your bike store help you learn the daily and weekly maintenance tasks for your bike, and the signs that it's time to bring it in for a full service. (Or learn to do a full service yourself.)
                  Some of the chores that keep your bike in good working condition are VERY important for safety; you don't want to skimp on replacing the brake pads, for instance.
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I didn't know the flag served a purpose. I always thought that it was something kids did purely for decoration.
                    My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

As a bike commuter myself (8 miles daily, roundtrip), I can say that there's plenty of good advice given already in this thread, so I'll just summarize my comments:
                      - Be predictable, like Seshat said.
                      - Behave like a car when possible; drivers will have to do less thinking about how to react to your presence.
                      - Be as visible as possible, then assume that you are completely invisible. Might be surprised at how much more responsive to potential dangers you are when in this mindset.
                      - When what you're about to do may affect a driver (like at a four-way stop when you want to go straight and they want to turn), make eye-contact. Most will either take that as their cue to move first or acknowledge your presence and wave to you to go first.
                      - Obey the street signs as if you were driving. You may not be required to by law, but it really is much safer that way.
                      - Wear sunglasses or some kind of safety glasses. I can't tell you how many times my laboratory safety specs (from my microbiology job a few years back) have saved my eyes from tire-flung rocks, windblown debris, and bugs.

Quoth Ben_Who View Post
                      ...Portland has gone to a lot of effort to advertise themselves as a pedestrian-friendly city...
                      I'm going to assume you don't mean Portland, Oregon. I've found it to be both pedestrian- and cyclist-friendly, but any advertising would be heavily in favor of bikes.
                      I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
                      - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
                      - IPF

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                        Get a GOOD bike mirror; and use it.
                        My dad cycled for years, and he told me this was very important.

I know I can easily tell the cyclists who are trying to be safe and those who are trying to make a point. Many drivers and pedestrians and cyclists are firmly in the "I'm not going to move, because I'm right" category, so I guess just watch out for them.
                        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Working...
                        X