This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CW says I should've done more

So i was working one day and I was feeling hungry, so I ordered food online. This was during the day so a lot of other guests were also ordering, but I put "front desk" so the delivery guy would know it's for one of the employees there.
    Which he ignored.
    When the delivery guy came he said that it was for 'Room 123'. We looked and there was no one in that room. At this point I said, it was most likely my order, but he looked at me like I was joking and insisted it was for Room 123. 123! 123! Even though we told him that there was no one in there. He got on the phone and called his supervisor, and I guess his supervisor told him to just leave it there because that's what he did and left. I peeked inside the order, and sure enough it was mine.
    I called the guy's restaurant and told them what happened, and they admitted that they didn't know who it was for, even though I put my name online! So what they did was figure out the last person who ordered from them and stick their room number on there. WtF? Is this common practice? Don't know who it is so you stick the last person's name and room on it? I don't get the logic.
    I've ordered many times from other place and this is the first time one has screwed up. My CW says it was my fault, tho...that I should've insisted it was mine 'harder'. The food wasn't great so I'm not gonna order from there again :\ I can take bad service, but not bad food. =P
    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

First most food delivery places use phone numbers as the primary field with address the secondary. Did you use the hotels main number or perhaps your cell number?

This creates some problems as this happens at my pizza place all the time. we have multiple records for the same phone number ie. a hotels number. IF you placed the order on-line the POS system at the store may have just picked the last record used when someone (assume a guest ordered ) and used that AND that record was for room 123. and by your description of the way the in-store staff handled the "order" I would say their POS system sucks at on-line stuff.

The next time I would suggest that you use either your cell number OR an little used/unknown to the general public number that your hotel has that will be answered by staff AND use your name with the words FRONT DESK in the last name field AND put the words " FRONT DESK" in an special instruction field (either on an item OR in the delivery instructions field).

We have one hotel we have that literally has 20 records associated with the main number.

Sorry the delivery person was rude but then again their POS system sucks.
    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

did you ask if the order had your name on it?
      Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
      Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

I say this falls on the delivery person.
        Having done the job before, several times as it happens, its in my best interest to get the order delivered and paid for obviously, so i'm going to make a bit of an effort for that. Desk says room is empty? Check the name. Name isn't there, or when sent to them or if the desk calls, they say they didn't order? Then it goes back, unless the desk clerk offers to pay for it, since if i bring it back, its either going to have to be remade when we find the customer, or i'm going to be dealing with an unhappy customer that won't tip, and prolly request a discount, so best option is to sell then and there.

No matter how screwy the POS gets, there's usually a solution ifn you make the effort.
        Seph
        Taur10
        "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

My dad used to have an issue ordering pizza online. It would tell him that there was only one location that delivered to him, X miles away. When he placed the order, he would ALWAYS get a call from the pizza place saying "We don't deliver there, try the other store." Other store was three miles closer, in the same direction. He liked to order online because he could determine what time the pizza was delivered (for parties and such), but ordering online or outright calling the closer store always meant the pizza was late.
          The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

I feel sorry for the poor sap who gets stuck with doing takeout to our complex. My unit is detached from all the others, but there's 2 stories (they really need to block off the balcony but refuse to) and the door on the top floor is completely sealed. Needless to say, this has resulted in more than one delivery guy (including a few who aren't even delivering to us!) knocking on the top door and then looking very confused. I've had a few calls from different guys saying "Hey um, I'm here, why won't your door open?"

Since then, I've always put down in the delivery instructions "USE THE BOTTOM DOOR ONLY DAMMIT!"
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth HotelMinion View Post
              So what they did was figure out the last person who ordered from them and stick their room number on there. WtF?
              That's just idiotic.

If they don't know the room number, they should have left it blank and called ahead, asking for your name,
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I had so many problems ordering from Dominos at my old address, even though we were literally 2 blocks away from them. Because our town and the next town over shared a main street AND a zip code, they would consistently obey their GPS and go to the next town over.

I would put notations in my online orders saying we were in *town* and even then they only followed instructions half the time. Hello? The "special delivery instructions" are on the box for a reason - READ THEM!

I finally had to call their corporate number and complain. We rarely had any problems after that.

Comment

Working...
                X