X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bus Sightings

Ok so as a bus commuter here is my list of SCs I've seen

The seat hog:
    Gets on a crowded bus, goes to the bench seats designed to seat five and manages to take up all five seats by using his feet, backpack, and other misc crap.

The I-spawned-so-laws-dont-apply-to-me
    The mom with a monster-size stroller who brings it onto the bus, ignores the signs and audio announcements that strollers are to be collapsed due to federal ADA laws, and parks her precious sprogs in the wheelchair securement areas (bonus points if there actually is a person in a wheelchair present and she won't move).

The Eminem WannaBe
    "Sings" (or rather talks) along with whatever trashy, violent rap song is playing through his headphones.

The "What are Headphones?"
    Listens to music on the latest version of the most popular smartphone or tablet without even using headphones, entertaining the entire bus with his crappy music choices.

The "I have headphones but I am unclear on the concept"
    A variant of the above, who does in fact have headphones but has them up so loud you can clearly hear his music anyway. Usually said headphones are really bad-quality ones with the name of a certain rapper emblazoned all over them.

The Stinky
    Hasn't bathed in a week. Most often seen on routes that serve the DHS office, though can show up anywhere (I have nothing but sympathy for the homeless, but it doesn't mean I have to be enamored of the odor).

The Meth Head
    Nuff said

The Springer Wannabe
    Has a screaming fight with a significant other (sometimes over the phone, sometimes in person). The Springer Wannabe has a limited vocabulary and must therefore as many swears as possible in as little time as possible.

The Doesn't-Understand-Pull-Cords
    This person doesn't understand what a pull cord is for and therefore has decided to announce his or her intention to disembark by screaming "this is my stop, this is my stop you _________________"(insert insult of choice here) at the driver. A variant may forgo the screaming only to call the complaint line and bitch about how the driver "isn't stopping when he's supposed to."

The Confused
    Boards the bus without any knowledge of where said bus is going and proceeds to quiz the driver about the route. Note this not a simple question such as "do you stop at the corner of X and Y" but rather a protracted discussion, usually had while The Confused is blocking the door. The Confused will be offended if offered one of the paper schedules available on every bus in the city; he or she expects the driver to be his or her personal tour guide. Bonus points if The Confused does this during bad weather.

The Cash Haver
    Not necessarily sucky but annoying. The Cash Haver always pays for his or her fare with exact change, which he or she must pick through for several minutes in order to find the right amount. The Cash Haver is invariably the first person in line and stands so as to block the door.

The Snoozer
    The Snoozer falls asleep on the bus, usually taking up at least two seats in order to do so. Bonus points for snoring.

The Self-Appointed Judge
    Usually a passenger (but sometimes a driver) who considers him or herself the All Powerful Judge of Disability. He or she will argue with a disabled passenger's right to the priority seating area. He or she will often demand fare payment from a caregiver travelling with a disabled person (despite the fact that federal law prohibits this; caregivers have the same rights as service animals).

The No Social Skills
    Talks to you despite your body language indicating it isn't welcome and will frequently engage you in discussions of his or her personal life (haven't seen this one myself but have heard about it...I must look too grouchy at the end of my shift or something).

The Homies
    A group of young men who will set on the very back of the bus and proceed to talk loud enough for the driver to hear.

The Home Girls
    Female equivilant of The Homies. They tend to prefer the middle of the bus and tend to travel in pairs rather than large groups.

The College Idiots
    A varient of the The Home Girls, who are usually (but not always) skinny, in their early to mid 20s, overly made-up, and fans of professional manicures and nail art. They are just as loud but punctuate their conversation with high-pitched giggles and frequent usage of the phrase "oh my gawwwd."
    Last edited by EricKei; 04-21-2015, 08:57 AM.
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

The Preacher

Thinks that the entire bus is there to hear their opinion about any- and everything, from religion to racism to politics. Bonus points if he (all most all ways male) cusses out the driver when asked to keep it down.
    Persephone is the reason for the season.

Comment

I was on a bus once when at the station we stopped and all at once got on: a person in a wheelchair, a person with a walker, a person on crutches, a person with a cane and a person with a stroller.

not sucky or anything but I won bus passenger bingo that day.
      Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
      Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
        I was on a bus once when at the station we stopped and all at once got on: a person in a wheelchair, a person with a walker, a person on crutches, a person with a cane and a person with a stroller.

not sucky or anything but I won bus passenger bingo that day.

If one of them is screaming about Jebus while listening to a Walkman it's a Triple Word Score.

Comment

I'm thinking that alot of those can also apply to the passengers on an airplane.
          Last edited by drunkenwildmage; 04-23-2015, 07:07 PM. Reason: More adventures from Captain Typo.
          Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

Subway passengers count, too.

A non-sucky example would be the band that gave an impromptu concert on the subway ride home. They sang well, and were applauded after they finished their show.
            Last edited by cindybubbles; 04-22-2015, 02:41 AM.
            cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Quoth drunkenwildmage View Post
              I'm thinking that alot of those can also apply to the passengers on an Airplane.
              Reason to re-read for comprehension #184: I originally read this as saying that a lot of those could apply to the passengers on Airplane!
              "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

Quoth BPFH View Post
                Reason to re-read for comprehension #184: I originally read this as saying that a lot of those could apply to the passengers on Airplane!
                Surely your reading comprehension isn't that bad.
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                  I have to admit, that's what I saw first time I read it as well.
                  "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Stories like this remind me of why I don't care too much for public transportation...

We have to control things like this if we want more people to consider public transportation.
                    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                      It's not...and don't call me Shirley.
                      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                        It's not...and don't call me Shirley.
                        OK, Shoiley.
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I also take public transportation and everyday there is a WTF?? moment. We have a high immigrant population in my neck of the woods and they travel at least 10 to a group and they all smell of curry. I swear I smell of it by the time I get off the bus. Because these people were brought here from war torn/poverty stricken countries, and they speak no English they are often confused on paying, but then there was the couple the other night who got on at Walmart after shopping and as the bus is starting to go, the guy tries to ask me in broken English for change for a $20. I didn't have it..he then asked the driver for change who proceeded to go off on him for getting on the bus without having change. They skeeved a ride for free, but these were not just off the boat immigrants. These 2 have been here at least 2 years and the driver says they pull it all the time!

And then there is the meth heads at the clinic down the road. They get on during morning rush on the busway to go into downtown. They are loud, vulgar, smell, and they say they are disabled so we should all get up and give them our seats. That does not happen..

Of course there is slingblade. Slingblade should be locked up in a mental institution, but alas, they closed those so he is out and about. He is loud (he is named due to sounding exactly like that character, and yes, I will take all the credit for starting that), he sexually harasses women, and he also has issues with paying. Most drivers will NOT allow him on the bus but every so often you get a new one on the route who doesn't know better. You hear a collective moan at the stop when we see him coming.

But wait...what would a pleasant ride be without the moms who allow their kids to act like wild animals, the people (mostly women) who feel the need to broadcast their business in loud phone conversations (lady, your yeast infection is definitely not a rush hour packed buses business) and the people whose backpacks/shopping bags are so special as to rate their own seat (there is one woman who sits their with a smug look on her face because she has her bag in the seat. Yup, had a bad day and sat on it.)

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                            I have to admit, that's what I saw first time I read it as well.
                            Maybe if I hadn't capitalized the 'A' in airplane..

Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

There are some routes here in Denver that have a really high proportion of meth heads, but the majority of routes are OK. I had the "kids running around" one the other day (also when I had a headache, yea!) but at least the mom was trying to settle them down (over tired kids just don't settle down sometimes).

Bus drivers here don't put seem to put up with much other than loud talking (there really isn't much they can do about that...it isn't considered causing a disturbance or breaking a rule). They'll tell someone playing loud music to knock it off, and since our public transit system has been sued for not making Stoller Moms move out the way of wheelchairs, they're pretty careful about that now.
                              "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Working...
                              X