This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another chiming in with "ain't nothing wrong with being on food stamps!"

Hell, my Dad and I used to be in a situation (in the 90s) where we qualified for the things, but just never filed for them. Maybe out of pride, reluctance, or fear of being stigmatized, I dunno. He and I both worked, but our net income was still low enough that we qualified as a household. We still got the bills paid (thanks in part to a very patient landlord) and usually had food on the table, even if it meant shopping at the discount bread outlet store (that's where the day-old loaves end up -- what scared me is that they usually also had stuff like Twinkies that were actually close to expiring...how old were THOSE damn things?!? o_O) or the old "salvage" grocery warehouse (as in, where dented food packages and the like ended up before the proliferation of dollar stores), so we didn't feel the "need."

That all changed when we got to the point that literally the only food available in the house was a jug of milk and a frozen party sub that my aunt had given us recently. Only problem was, she failed to mention that said sandwich had been sitting out on the counter for several hours AFTER the party in question had ended, prior to being frozen...Long story short, Dad nearly ended up in the hospital from eating it, and I didn't feel too hot, myself. We headed over to the SNAP office as soon as they were open after that weekend >_> We never trusted leftovers from that aunt again, either ~_~

I still feel a little weird when all I need are drinks, and I go through a line with my EBT card, water, and some 2-liters of soda...but ya know, I've been lucky, I suppose. No cashiers nor fellow customers have ever given me any shit about it. Nobody here will do that to anyone here, either ^_^ So feel free to keep right on venting!
    Last edited by EricKei; 06-20-2015, 04:20 PM.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

That's super embarrassing. I work practically full time, and I make well above minimum wage, but do to the cost of living, I get food stamp benefits for my daughter and I. I have been a tax paying American since I have been seventeen, and I dont feel bad. I would definitely rather not be on ebt, but due to my transportation situation, working a second job isnt an option right now.

What really embarasses me is when my mom sends for cigarettes when I go to the store. I know cashiers and the customees behind me are judging. I get so upset I wanna cry when she asks. Now I just put my purchases away and go to a different lane or get my bf to pick them up.

Comment

Dunno if the swamp accepts EBT. What I would never want the swamp to jump into is WIC.

For one thing, I know of at least one cashier who would be tactless enough to basically announce "THIS PERSON'S ON WELFARE" if ever she had a problem ringing out somebody on the program.

For another thing, knowing what I know about our hilariously bad replenishment processes, we'd have a hell of a time meeting the requirements for minimum quantities of qualifying items on the shelf and in the store at all times.

If we can't do it right, I'd prefer we not do it at all.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I've been trying to get the boyfriend on Snap for YEARS. They keep fucking up his phone call interview and won't give him a in house interview. They won't let him use my phone number, but his doesn't get reception in the house and the last two times we got the mail for the appointment AFTER the appointment so he wasn't outside the house and down the street, where his phone gets reception, to take the call.

We need it, mostly him, but we just can't get the appointment now. Took me forever to break his pride down enough for him to try and get it. He finally caved when he, quite literally, passed out walking home because he hadn't eaten in two days. I try and keep food in the house but he doesn't have time to cook it so anything I have has to be quick and dirty. We work opposite shifts so I can't make dinner for him before he leaves for job two and even with both he's well under the household income poverty level.

Pride is something that is fine to have. No one should have their pride damaged for asking for help though. That is what we pay into things like that for. For people who just need that little bit of help because they can't make it work otherwise.
          Last edited by HiddenMica; 06-23-2015, 04:52 AM.

Comment

I think you can opt to go to the local office for an interview. See if you can push for that.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

In every state I'm familiar with, the applicant can designate a representative to speak on his or her behalf. He could designate you and you could do the interview for him if he's housebound without reliable phone service.
              At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Look up the rules. The people who answer the phones at our human services office are about as dumb as bricks (or at least very badly trained). You have to quote chapter and verse of the regulations to them to get them to follow the freaking LAW. We sent our re-determination paperwork in a few days ago. I'm trying to find out if it got mysteriously lost again.
                "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
                  The people who answer the phones at our human services office are about as dumb as bricks (or at least very badly trained).
                  That sounds like the ladies at our local office. 90% of what they do is "Phones are in there. Call this 1-800 number where you'll probably spend 3 hours holding before they hang up on you." The other 10% is faxing papers.
                  The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Working...
                  X