This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth wolfie View Post
    WTF? From what you're saying, it sounds like person "A" creates a mod and releases it free. Person "B" downloads a copy, re-uploads it as a paid mod, and sends a DMCA takedown notice against person "A" for distributing "pirate" copies of the mod?

If that's what's happening, person "B" needs to be slapped down HARD - a lifetime ban from Steam (including cut-off of access to everything they've bought) sounds like a good starting point.
    Even without that, there's the problem of people taking an existing free mod and either not changing anything or just doing the tiniest of alterations and then uploading them and charging for it.
    I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

From what I heard over 2000 mods have been taken down from Nexus by the authors due to being stolen and put up on the workshop as paid mods. Several prominent mod makers have also stopped working on mods because of it.

To say this is a mess is an understatement.
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Newell even replied to this, elsewhere, as he was on a flight when the story/controversy broke.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Well, the practice is now dead, and anyone who paid for a mod will be receiving a refund.

Comment

Came in here to post this. Probably for the best that it's gone.

That didn't take long. Newell got raked over the coals because of this (understandably). In a thread on ...*ahem*...that site that I "red," He had a big Q&A session, where one thing he claimed was that the costs of all of that incoming email had cost them some preposterous amount of money -- something like 10x the amount of money brought in by the mod service. To his credit, when he was told by users in the thread that they had been banned on Steam forums for complaining about this by the mods, he took action and had the banned accounts reinstated, saying that he doesn't want the boards to be censored.

Oh well. It's gone now. C'est lat vie, C'est la morte (sp?)
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
            X