This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coping

I've always been fascinated by genealogy, and my mom had done a lot of work a few years ago, tracing her father's history back to England in the 11th century, and I was content to just listen to her talk about it, until my dad died.

Dad died two months ago, and as a way for me to cope, I signed up to a genealogy site, and started my own research; primarily into Dad's family history. He'd always told me about his father being one of 21 siblings, that a former professional wrestler was a cousin, that a Hollywood actor was a cousin, etc., so I decided I wanted to find out how and who was related to my dad.

It's been fascinating; I've been able to trace three branches of my family history back to England, but can't find anything yet going to France or Ireland. I just wish dad were still here so I could share what I've been finding, so I had to share it with you guys. Thank you for listening.

I love researching and reading family history.

I wish you luck in discovering more.

Comment

It is fascinating. I got a little confused toward the 17th century in one branch, because apparently, that branch of my family were Mormons, with multiple wives, and lots of children, so it's getting very difficult to figure out who belongs to whom.

Comment

Quoth Erinesque View Post
        It is fascinating. I got a little confused toward the 17th century in one branch, because apparently, that branch of my family were Mormons, with multiple wives, and lots of children, so it's getting very difficult to figure out who belongs to whom.
        ? 17th century? Mormonism started in the 19th century in western NY state about 50 miles from where I used to live, I have probably seen the Hill Kumorah pagent a dozen times over the years.]

If you are messed up, then the dating lies in the 1840s to 80s or so, not the 17th century. Your lines should be clear earlier than the start date of Mormonism.

I can get back to the 1030s on one thread of my lineage, the problem can't be resolved in all probability, I doubt even going over to France would work as many churches were destroyed in the revolution. Much devolved on tombstones and wedding/baptismal records surrounding in Belgium, Holland and Germany. I am stuck on an unnamed wife of a brand new Count. Hard to trace someone only listed as Comtesse de *. <shrug> Until someone pops up with a relative married to my Compte, I am stuck.
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

That helps; I must have been messed up on the dates, like I said, it's gotten confusing.

Another problem I have in the French line is that I was always told that my great grandfather was adopted, sometime in the early 1800s, in Canada, and married a Native American woman, my great grandmother. My dad said that he only knew that she was either Mic Mac or Mohawk. I simply can't find anything past them, or much in the census records on her, especially.

Comment

Unfortunately it's very hard to trace women because many times, they were only listed by first name or by their married name. If you don't know the maiden name you're stuck.

I had someone in Germany find some details for me on my great-grandfather's family. She traced back to the 1600's IIRC.

An interesting online resource is cyndislist.com There are a ton of links on that site.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

In most cases, I've been able to find their maiden names, so that hasn't been much of an issue as of yet, at least not until I got into the Canadian branch of my family. This one is tough.

Comment

I got back to the 1600's on my Swedish side. What's great about the Swedes was that the women kept their patrynomic name after marriage, until about the 1920s, so they are easier to trace. I have 1st cousins 5x removed that changed to the Mormon faith and following them and their progeny can get interesting at times.
                Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Yes it is; I just found a site from Canada, which has the whole of my Canadian/French line!! I was able to get back to my 7th great grandfather on that, who came from France!

Comment

Quoth Erinesque View Post
                    If you are stuck at that point, if you can contact one of the genealogy departments at the mormon church, they may already have some of the information on that to help you get going again. They do a lot of genealogy stuff and from what I remember, they are usually willing to share information or get you in contact with someone who can, like a living member of that line who may have already done some of the research.
                    "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Working...
                    X