This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Blue Ginger View Post
    I also spent a lot of time watching movies during school holidays and weekends growing up. I have probably seen every Elvis movie, most of the movies with John Wayne, Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis, Doris Day, Marilyn Monroe, Shirley Temple, Katherine Hepburn, Audrey Hepburn, Humphrey Bogart, Errol Flynn and a lot of the song and dance movies from the 40's, 50's and 60's.
    My parents loved the older movies and always watched them on network TV (before cable). I grew to enjoy them too. Abbott and Costello, Elvis, many classic Hollywood musicals (mostly Rogers & Hammerstein stuff) and Danny Kaye were favorites in our house.

Husband and I moved to another state right before the economy went belly-up. We relied on the free movie rentals from the local library for entertainment, and they have mostly foreign, BBC and older movies, including silents and black-and-white movies. I saw Metropolis, The Great Dictator, A Night At The Opera and loads of others.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I started getting into old movies when I was 24. Before that point, the oldest film I'd ever seen was The Wizard of Oz. I borrowed the movie Chaplin from the library, which stars Robert Downey, Jr. as the lead, and I was fascinated by it, and I saw that it was based on Chaplin's autobiography, which I immediately borrowed and devoured.

As I was reading his autobiography, he kept mentioning different films of his, from the early ones, to The Kid, City Lights, Modern Times, The Great Dictator, Monsieur Verdoux, and Limelight to name a few, so I realized I needed to watch these to catch the references. My first was City Lights, and I was hooked. From there, I watched all of Chaplin's movies that I could get my hands on, even the very early silent ones, all the way up to A King in New York.

I watched nothing but Chaplin's films for about a year, then I stumbled on a clip of Groucho Marx's show You Bet Your Life, and thought that was quite funny, so started looking them up, too, and started with A Night at the Opera, and realized that it was a lot like a film I'd seen when I was a kid called Brain Donors. I later came to find out that Brain Donors was indeed inspired by A Night at the Opera. I borrowed Marx Brothers movies from the library, and watched not only their first five, Cocoanuts, Animal Crackers, Monkey Business, Horsefeathers and Duck Soup, but all the way up to Love Happy.

I discovered Eddie Cantor from perusing IMDb, on Groucho's page - the part where you can discuss the actors/movies, etc., and someone had linked a YouTube video, saying that this guy danced like Groucho, and it was Eddie in the movie Whoopee!, which was in color, made in 1930. So then I had to watch his movies, and found that none of them were on DVD, probably because of him doing at least one song/scene in blackface in each of his movies, just like Al Jolson did.

I've also read the autobiographies of both Harpo and Eddie Cantor; some interesting stuff, it really brought the history to life.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
        One of my favorite old movies is The Court Jester. Danny Kaye and a very young and drop dead gorgeous Angela Lansbury. It's a musical comedy.

The pellet with the poison is in the vessel with the pestle, the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true!
        I love that one though I never caught that that was Angela Lansbury before. I also loved his Walter Mitty and very much did not want to like the new one as a result.

In elementary school, I remember getting confused reactions whenever I would tell people my favorite movie. None of the other kids my age had heard of Bringing Up Baby
        "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Working...
        X