Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If only I had known your groceries were bursting into flames...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If only I had known your groceries were bursting into flames...

Customer bagged his own stuff at my register. He bought some soda six packs and other misc stuff and tossed them into a single bag. He immediately dropped the bag. Lots of 'fizzing' noise started coming from the bag, along with a puff of vapor. I assumed the soda cans had burst. Too soften his embarrassment, I let out a lighthearted chuckle and said, "Don't worry, we'll take care of it. It happens." He gave me a mean look, wrapped his arms around the bag and ran out the door full speed. I wasn't sure what had just happened. I thought he might have taken my comment wrong, so I followed him out to offer help.

He was standing just outside the door, with the bag on the ground. That's when I figured it out. He had also purchased a box of matches, and they had begun to ignite. He gave me a mean look again. I don't know if he was mad at me for some reason, mad at himself, or just embarrassed. Anyway, I found myself uttering a sentence I never thought I'd have to say. "I'm sorry sir. I didn't know your groceries were on fire." He gave me that mean look again, rolled his eyes, and muttered an obscenity. I didn't want him taking out his frustrations on me, so I went back in and left him alone with his smoking bag.

This is why people should not buy strike anywhere matches unless they have a legit need for them....
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Figures, an idiot can make those matches ignite just by dropping them. Me, I've got boxes where the scratch pad on either side has been completely worn off from my attempts to light them the safe way. I've had more luck using one of the decorative rocks from my garden.

Comment

Usually when I light bags on fire, they don't contain groceries.
        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Limescale View Post
          Figures, an idiot can make those matches ignite just by dropping them. Me, I've got boxes where the scratch pad on either side has been completely worn off from my attempts to light them the safe way. I've had more luck using one of the decorative rocks from my garden.
          Next time try dropping the match box instead of using the scratch pad.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I had about 20 strike-anywhere matches ignite in my front right jeans pocket when I tripped in the snow running over to my BFF's to check out his XMas loot. Still have two scars on my leg 60 years later.
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
            X