This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
    Reminds me of the morons at Gamestore who thought it would be awesome to work there because they'd get to play games all day.
    Probably the same morons who think that working in a theater means you get to sit and watch movies all day.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
      Probably the same morons who think that working in a theater means you get to sit and watch movies all day.
      And the same morons who think that working at a library means that reading books is part of the job. (Which admittedly is kind of true, for those librarians who do the children's storytimes)

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
        I've read about a case (more than half a lifetime ago) where Football linebackers (i.e. strong guys in good shape) were called on to perform in a ballet (it was part of a study) - and had difficulty doing the things the "wimpy" male dancers did, never mind doing it gracefully.
        That's interesting because football players tend to do well on Dancing With the Stars.

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post
          Sometimes I wonder if part of the problem is that people look at someone doing a job and think 'that looks easy' when the truth is that the person is making it look easy. Because they've been doing it for years / have read and studied / done the training courses / used their heads and learned various tips and tricks over time. The other person looks at the worker and only sees them as they are now, not what they've had to experience to get to that stage.
          Probably a healthy portion of the Dunning-Kruger effect as well
          Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Quoth Catwoman2965 View Post
            TOTALLY AGREE! I just left my PT retail job after 9.5 years. We had so many customers who thought it would be "fun" to work there. Not realizing hey, its work! Nights, weekends, holidays, NO ONE is immune. And as a closer, we have to make sure the store is pretty, empty trash, including the nasty customer bathroom, put hangers away, and swiffer and vacuum. We don't have a cleaning service, we do it ALL. Surprising how many didn't make it past a couple of months!
            One of our super-regulars (in the store at least twice a week) took a part time job here once. "She's going to quit as soon as she realizes it isn't fun" is what I said and she didn't even last two weeks. Not that I get the idea of working when you don't have to in the first place.

Comment

Quoth siskaren View Post
              That's interesting because football players tend to do well on Dancing With the Stars.
              Yeah, but ballroom dancing (in the wider sense) is quite different from ballet dancing. The big and strong muscles of a football player limit the range of movement a ballet dancer needs.
              No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Quoth evilhomer View Post
                He didn't say a thing that didn't register as white noise with me until he came up with this gem: "maybe I'll start doing this when I don't feel like using my brain anymore".
                I probably would have said."You can pick up your application at the service desk now if you'd like."

Comment

Quoth Brojekk View Post
                  I probably would have said."You can pick up your application at the service desk now if you'd like."
                  I have been known in the past to comment "We are taking applications if you or anyone you know is looking for a job right now."

Not one taker have I had on that offer so far.
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I in no way think cashiering is easy (it's hard on the body for one thing) but I do sometimes find my job mind-numbing. I'm learning Spanish to put a little mental challenge into my day.
                    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

I think my response to a comment like the OP would be, "Well you're off to a head start"

Comment

At my last job, it was an upscale store frequented by the upper class and those people so looked down their noses at us 'shop girls' (yes, I actually got called that). They came in wanting something with only a vague description and this dumb shop girl could figure out wtf they were talking about and get it for them, while they dithered about how much 'fun' it would be to work in this 'cute little store'. Those never worked hard a day in their lives would not last standing on their feet 8+ hours a day, dealing with shouty people, being called stupid because you wouldn't take back their 5 year old broken fountain pen, dealing with shoplifters, eating your lunch crouched behind a counter between the customers.

And where I am at now, I get from people that it must be just like cleaning your house but with pay. Yeah, 105 apartments that need trash pick up everyday, toilets overflowing, carpets needing cleaned, regular cleaning and praying you don't break any of their 7000 ceramic angels they have all over, constant cleaning of common areas because Lord above these people spill and drop everything. Until it died, I was using a pedometer from the time I punched in til I punched out and would log between 13,000 to 15,000 in 7 1/2 hrs. Yeah..just like cleaning my house my ass.

Comment

Working...
                        X