Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know how much it costs to paint a car?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know how much it costs to paint a car?

This is a little bit of "Sightings" since it is a bit of a customer service story.

I spent a small fortune on a new car when my old Chevy blew a scoot a couple of weeks ago - more than twice what I paid for my last ride. I should have taken more time to do my due diligence, but I would rather rub my body all over vigorously with a cheese grater than spend any amount of time at a car dealership, and have been known to drive a car down to its component molecules rather than be inflicted with the tools of Satan known as car salesmen. (The Chevy was actually an excellent example. The car literally had to die under me for me to be willing to walk onto a dealer lot.)

However, these days, unlike the last time I bought a car, I carry the Internet in my pocket, and can do all the research, from Carfax to KBB to user critiques, right there on the lot - much to the chagrin of the shadier dealers. Every car the dealer showed me was subject to twenty minutes of research to see what was going to break first and when.

This is Maine, and I only drive 5,000 miles a year or so. That means a car is going to rust before its engine goes - the Chevy was an exception to the rule. So I was willing to buy a car with high mileage and a decent body, instead of the other way around. However, I was unimpressed with the cars they showed me that had six figures on the clock, nor was I getting the price I wanted for cars that had been ridden so hard.

I wound up driving off the lot in a 2009 Nissan Versa. The Versa had a couple of rust spots on the quarter panels where a rock had chipped the paint - nothing a trip to Maaco couldn't fix, I thought. We've had a rough winter, and that's a cheap fix.

However, I paid a small fortune for this thing. More than twice what I paid for the Chevy, in fact. The salesman had to figure that someone so squirrelly about a big-ticket buy was going to inspect the car with a fine-toothed comb, as well as send it to his mechanic to see if anything else needed fixing. The more I looked at it, the more rust spots I found - tiny ones, sometimes just a little BB-sized chip out of the hood, but not all of them in places where the rocks had hit it.

A little research turned up the tragic truth - that model-year Versa is a rot-box. For some reason, the paint job on the 2009 was very fragile, and the paint cracked easily, leading to exactly the problem I was looking at. Either I was going to be touching up the paint for the rest of my life, or the whole car was going to want a complete re-spray. If this was what the car looked like now, it wasn't even going to HAVE quarter-panels in five years.

It seems I'm now confronted with a decision - touch it up myself, have it professionally touched up, get the whole thing resprayed, or swap it for something a little less prone to oxidation. (There may be other options I haven't considered.) Each has its own benefits, drawbacks, and - most important, considering the overall investment so far - price tag. I need to assure myself that buyer's remorse isn't making the spots seem bigger than they are, and I'm also a little annoyed at the "caveat emptor" attitude of the asshole who sold it to me when I mentioned it on a follow-up call. (It's the second time I've had an otherwise "nice" car salesman turn into an utter jerk when I called him about a minor follow-up issue.)

What do you think?

Holy crap - that thing's rusting faster than a 1970s Renault.

I didn't think that was possible.

Comment

It can cost as little as $99.95 if you take it to the right place.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

As for exchanging it -- Don't lemon laws require a full refund or credit within 3 days? Check your local laws on that one, if you are considering going that route.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

If you do go for a full paint job, this is one place where you DON'T want to go cheap. The place where cheap paint jobs cut corners is on the prep. Since you're dealing with rust (not just the visible spots, but any paint chips/cracks where it's started but not visible yet), any that gets painted over will keep going underneath the new paint, and look like crap when it breaks through. You need to be sure any rust is either removed or "killed" (e.g. with a conversion primer) before it gets painted.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

The prep is the most important part of a paint job. Especially when the surface being painted already has problems!

Rust spots that are a certain size or less, AND are non-structural, can be sanded out then filled with a putty-like substance. This will do no harm, so long as the rust is all removed.

Larger spots need to be replaced with metal; and all structural rust needs to be handled very carefully and professionally.

No, I don't know exactly how the larger spots are handled, nor how structural rust is handled. But if you're going to have the car made rust-resistant, be prepared to spend on professional skill and labour.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
            X