This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other Olypmic sprinters/timelords...

Another thread which drudged up some rather humorous memories for me: http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...d.php?t=111063

Back during the stone age, when I worked retail, there was a running theme of customers who just had to be somewhere like yesterday so it was imperative that I be quick about ringing them up. 9 out of 10 times though the fallacy of this statement was immediately admitted by them claiming they had mere moments to get somewhere that I knew for a fact would require more time to reach.

The best ones I heard were:

- A woman who absolutely had to be on a plane in 20 minutes. Yes, not at the airport, not at the gate, but physically on the aircraft itself, in 20 minutes, during a time so close to post 9/11 that folk were recommended to allow two hours for check in and security before reaching their departure area.

- A couple who needed to hop on a train departing in 10 minutes, when the nearest train station was at least 30 minutes away even without traffic.

- A guy who was treating someone to dinner in the country, having reserved a table at a restaurant in about 10 minutes. He was planning to travel from the middle of the city to the country (not the suburbs) in 10 minutes, on a weekend, with the expected traffic. Surrrrrre...

- A lady who had to make it to the bank before it closed, on a Friday, at 6 pm.

And finally this person who just flat out takes the cake: she first came to me demanding to be rung up pronto because she had a dental appointment to get to in seven minutes. That alone is bad enough since the nearest dentist to my store was a good 10 minutes away (I know because I used them for my own teething needs) but then she had to go one further with the following: she walked over to our coffee stand, purchased a drink, sat down and began reading a book! I should point out our coffee stand was well within view of the registers so I could see her sitting there, doing nothing to hurry along to her oh so important appointment that required me to be lightning fast in completing her shopping needs.

Who else has had folk flat out lie to their face like this just because they don't want to spend any more time dealing with you than they have to?

Quoth Limescale View Post
    - A woman who absolutely had to be on a plane in 20 minutes. Yes, not at the airport, not at the gate, but physically on the aircraft itself, in 20 minutes, during a time so close to post 9/11 that folk were recommended to allow two hours for check in and security before reaching their departure area.
    A few years ago I encountered a woman like this at the airport. My mom and I had arrived about two and a half hours early for our flight, parked the car, and got on the shuttle thingy to the airport. A woman got on just after us with her young daughter (around 7 or 8), and kept bugging the driver to go faster because her flight left in half an hour.

I hate people that DEMAND things be done NOW. If I really am in a rush, I'll try to ask nicely if we could hurry a bit, but I'm not going to make anyone do more than they can handle.
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

It's Customer Standard Time.

Although the one with the "dental appointment" reminds me of my co-worker "Wanda." She'll say she has to leave at (for ex.) 3:00 for an appt. so she can't take on certain tasks from about 2:30 on....then at 3:00 I'll hear her on the phone, taking a call; then another call; then another call. Finally she'll get up about 3:15 or so and leave. Meanwhile, the work that she didn't want to start before 3:00 could have been done in about 3 minutes.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Aragarthiel View Post
        A few years ago I encountered a woman like this at the airport. My mom and I had arrived about two and a half hours early for our flight, parked the car, and got on the shuttle thingy to the airport. A woman got on just after us with her young daughter (around 7 or 8), and kept bugging the driver to go faster because her flight left in half an hour.

I hate people that DEMAND things be done NOW. If I really am in a rush, I'll try to ask nicely if we could hurry a bit, but I'm not going to make anyone do more than they can handle.
        The last time I flew and checked a bag, using curbside check-in, i had a similar encounter. I got there, the guy took my boarding pass, and bag, and went in to do whatever he needed to do. There's a couple in line behind me, waiting to be helped, and this young chicky gets in line behind them, and asks can she go first as her flight left in like 20 minutes!!! They said no, she asked me, and I said sorry, I'm already in the process, so I couldn't, even if i wanted to!

I always get there early, i hate flying, and the thought of having to rush to make my flight stresses me out even more, so I'd much rather sit at the gate and wait, than have to run around like a headless chicken.

Comment

Had a customer once who was rude to me and another cashier because we weren't serving fast enough, he said he had a bus to catch, he was in a real hurry. Then we just watched as he got in to a car and drove off.

Comment

Uggghh, I got this at the repair center and in most of the cases, it was so idiotic.. This one stood out, because of the product vs excuse.

"Can you hurry up?! I need to catch the bus!"

This was utter bull, because I watched him struggle with it up to the door and opened the door to let him struggle in with it. I had to watch, because at that time, my desk faced the bank of windows that allowed me to see into our tiny parking lot. Think tiny home size and you had our parking lot.

Second off, the product we're talking about? It was a 46" CRT TV. Probably the heaviest piece of plastic and glass I'd ever had to deal with. The size of the thing is actually larger than 46", due to the built in speakers and the protective bubble of hard plastic. Awkward plastic that unless the manufacturer built handles into the sides of, were hard as hell to hold on to. This was one of those that the manufacturer said, "Screw that, we want SPACE AGE" and made it all nice and smooth, except at the bottom, where there was a wonderful ring of hard plastic at the bottom. The kind of hard plastic that draws blood when you put the full weight of the TV behind it. (Our temp electronics tech found out the hard way.)

Now that you have that in mind, here's another fun fact. At the time, our closest bus stop was over a mile away, at the end of our "industrial park" like road. Imagine trying to lug this beast that far.

But all of that is rendered moot anyways. Remember when I said my desk faced the bank of windows that looked out at our tiny parking lot? I watched the ass haul himself out of his pickup and then get the TV out the back. The only thing I could think of was that he was an idiot. But it didn't matter, because the register hated being hurried and if I had tried to hurry it, the tag would have jammed.. which it did. *shrugs* Karma's a bitch, isn't she?
            If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth Limescale View Post
              Who else has had folk flat out lie to their face like this just because they don't want to spend any more time dealing with you than they have to?
              All the time. My (not) favorite are the one who amble about the store, one aisle at a time, carefully scrutinizing every item that catches their eye. They're in the store for a couple of hours, at least. Then they get to the register and it's "OMGWTFBBQ Get a move on, peon, I'm in a hurry!!!eleventy!!!"
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I get this all of the time: people who come into my phone store, need a whole new phone (or 3), contacts swapped, looking for a case, want a screen protector applied, etc., and have to be somewhere in 15 MINUTES !! HURRY HURRY HURRY!!

Yeah, good luck with that. I can sometimes get an easy customer out the door in 15-20 minutes, but those are the ones who just need an upgrade and can do the rest themselves. Literally every other transaction in a phone store (aside from bill payments) takes longer.
                "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
                -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

^^^

Yeah, I think it took us 3 hours start to finish when I switched cell phone carriers. I have 5 smart phones and a tablet on my account. I felt like I needed a coffee break half way through.
                  At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Working...
                  X