This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let it burn

So late last evening, I got a call at the front desk from the hallway phone. It was a guest reporting a smokey smell "like burning paper" on the 4th floor hallway. I immediately sent Security and Maintenance to check it out.

A minute later the guest called back saying they'd found a trash can in our vending room on fire. I updated Security with the info. The guest came downstairs with his family and headed out.

Turns out, someone had lit a paper on fire and threw it in our trashcan in our 4th floor vending area.

Fortunately they were able to catch it and put it out before the fire alarms went off. We would have had to evacuate the resort in that instance. We had a wedding, a corporate event, a birthday, and a family reunion all going on at the same time, so that would have been a disaster of a night had it gotten that far. Since the one guest took the time to track down where the smoke was coming from and reported it to us bought us the time to put it out ourselves and prevent that, he got a free night on us.

Seriously, who the fuck tries to light a trashcan in a resort on fire like that?!?!

Bonus: Young pyro

Two nights ago girl about 10 years old or so wandered into my lobby carrying a decent-sized piece of smoldering driftwood and started to head down the guest hallway. I immediately made her leave it outside and grabbed a water bottle to extinguish it. She came in from the parking area. The beach with our bonfires was on the other side of the building, so at some point she already wandered through the resort carrying that thing once. Where the hell are your parents, kid?!?!
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Errrr... was the young pyro still around for the trash can fire? Cauz that might be your perp
    (I hope not)
    Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
    What's the difference?
    We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
      We had a wedding, a corporate event, a birthday, and a family reunion all going on at the same time, so that would have been a disaster of a night had it gotten that far.
      If not a random act of arson, I might suspect someone at one of those events who really didn't want to be there but wanted an excuse because they don't have the balls to just leave.
      Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Or someone involved in organizing one of the events wanting freebees because "You ruined my $event!". One thing I've learned here - never underestimate the potential suckiness of a customer. Whole resort needs to be evacuated, possibly shut down for a few days while damage is repaired? Who cares - I got my comp!
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Heck, I'd even suspect the guest that reported it. Starts fire, immediately reports it, becomes hero, profit!

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
            Or someone involved in organizing one of the events wanting freebees because "You ruined my $event!". One thing I've learned here - never underestimate the potential suckiness of a customer. Whole resort needs to be evacuated, possibly shut down for a few days while damage is repaired? Who cares - I got my comp!
            Quoth drjonah View Post
            Heck, I'd even suspect the guest that reported it. Starts fire, immediately reports it, becomes hero, profit!
            I know I've been here far too long when either of these sounds more than a little plausible...

Comment

Where the hell are your parents, kid?!?!
              I'm wondering what the hell she was planning on doing with it.

Comment

Turns out, someone had lit a paper on fire and threw it in our trashcan in our 4th floor vending area.

Don't they have cameras in the area? At least to keep an eye out for idiots trying to break into the vending machines.

Comment

Seriously, who the fuck tries to light a trashcan in a resort on fire like that?!?!
                  If your resort was in the Cook Islands, the answer to that would be "Tamariki tute!!!!" With tamariki meaning child, and tute being, er, the brown stuff that hits the whirly thing. So, a little
                  Is it Asshole Day or what? - MoonCat
                  It's ALWAYS Asshole Day. - Jay2KWinger

Comment

Please tell me there are cameras.....that little stunt with the trash can is a felony.
                    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Working...
                    X