This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody watch Undercover Boss

It's a show where CEOs go undercover in their own companies, playing the role of new employees, and see what their workers experience. Usually they end up with some major emotional experiences and make changes that make their worker's lives better. Even though my managers are pretty good (though they allow a lot more sloppiness than I'd like) I find a real CEO seeing what really goes on very satisfying.

Seasons 1-4 are on Netflix.
    Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 06-08-2015, 06:14 AM.
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

I like to watch them when I can. I do enjoy seeing a CEO that thinks their company is running well with the rules they have only to find out that the rules don't work in the real world.

Comment

Love this show! It's always an eye-opener for the boss/corporate.

Comment

That's for sure, Teefies; OTOH notice how almost no one notices that the CEO is away--when front-line staff are out all of hell breaks loose.
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

And I note how they don't usually pick a CEO/etc who is high profile, IE who would be obvious. Like if Sam Walton were still alive, and Walmart was on the show, he wouldn't choose to go in because EVERYONE knows his face now.
          My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

The TV crew usually disguises the CEO in some way. Different hair, facial hair for the guys, different makeup for the gals.

Call me cynical but I don't see their experiences resulting in many (if any) long term changes. Sure they give the employees they worked with money to help out with whatever and that's nice, but really are they going to change any policies? Are they going to give the average employee the tools needed to give good customer service and empower them with ways to deal with the SCs? Cut into their precious profits to ensure adequate staffing levels? Doubtful.
            I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

IMO, the first few seasons before they lock in the formula were better.

Later seasons, they 'perfected' the formula and made the show more obviously fake. The cover stories are thinner than tissue paper, and it's obviously most of the employees are prepicked for their background stories.

Still, there are a few times when the show takes a left turn and the unexpected happens, but more often than not, the later seasons are just too preplanned and basically just an hour long infomercial for the company.

Comment

^ This

Not to mention the bonuses given. Things like $20k, etc. I am not saying that it can not happen, but that it happens just a little too often. I have my doubts about the legitimacy.
                Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Fairly certain the money is real. After all, how expensive is a one hour commercial in prime time showing off how human and wonderful your company is?

That is worth a buttload of money any day.
                  "Announcing your intentions is a good way to hear God laugh." Al Swearingen (Deadwood)

Comment

now you got me watching re reuns. currently watching undercover boss Australia second season.

Comment

Ya, I enjoyed that early episode with Subway where they featured a Church that had a Subway inside.

The Church did that to help people get job training. Give a man a fish, and feed them for a day; Teach a man to fish and feed them for a lifetime.

I no longer have cable, and I have not yet hooked Netflicks up. So it has been a while since I seen the show.
                      I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Working...
                      X