This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guinea pig help

So my mom has a guinea pig named teddy. Shes getting him a new cage because his current one is kind of beat up and she is moving anyways and she wants to just have something cleaner and in better shape after the guinea pig has been chewing on and breaking things on this one (he broke his ramp) all the cages i can find that aren't like hamster size all have grates on the bottom lifting the animals away from the litter so that their... leavings fall through and they dont.

But these grates are all to big. these cages are multi use and the grating suits rabbits, ferrets and chinchillas, but is a little big for guinea pig toes. But the ramp wont touch the bottom without it.

So do you know of any good liners/ grate covers that are durable (maybe ot be cleaned or just will last a while ) or easily replaced (so i can just change them out when needed) that will still allow the wastes to fall through? basically a rubber mesh?

Safety fence? If the openings are too big, you could maybe use two or three layers, with the openings offset.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

hmm buying another grate and crisrcrossing is an interesting idea. i was thinking of seeing if i can find some rubber mesh shelf liner at homedepot, like you would use in a work shop if you wanted to make sure liquids couldn't collect

Comment

Are guinea pig feet larger than guinea pig dookies?
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I've never used grating with a guinea pig before. Is the grating removable at all? Guinea pig foots are pretty tiny....

Pippin has a home-made pen with a basic plywood base, so maybe even just stick a board down?

The rubber mesh would also probably work well, too!
          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
            I've never used grating with a guinea pig before. Is the grating removable at all? Guinea pig foots are pretty tiny....

Pippin has a home-made pen with a basic plywood base, so maybe even just stick a board down?

The rubber mesh would also probably work well, too!
            right now we have a home made pen too with corragated cardboard and basic fencing. but maybe we could jsut remove the grating at the bottom... or use a board.
            dalesys Are guinea pig feet larger than guinea pig dookies?
            yes usually

just double checked the one i want can have the bottom grating removed so if i figoure out a way to extend the ramp the piggy can still use it. i may just look for a different one though
            Last edited by Sliceanddice; 06-12-2015, 03:50 AM.

Comment

so we origanally like this one http://www.amazon.com/Prevue-Hendryx...0AK9QC0HH0MDCB
              but after looking a bit we decide to go with this one http://www.amazon.com/Living-World-D...0AK9QC0HH0MDCB
              its a better fit for us

Comment

That looks like a good one! I had one similar for my piggies in high school.

"Tip-proof food dish"....hah! I got one of those for Pippin. She tips it daily. Daily.
                Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

we just use a little plastic bowl, teddy tips it while veggies are incoming, eating, sleeping, hiding, and squeeking.

Comment

I've found that the smaller rabbit cages are ideal for guinea pigs, and I tend to steer clear of anything with a mesh/grid bottom because toes can get caught even if you're very careful. If the only cages you are finding have that mesh/grid bottom I would recommend covering it with something along the lines of corrugated plastic with peel & stick tiles over it - I use that same sort of set up for one of my rat cages (I ordered it online and didn't realize what sort of bottom it had, and then couldn't return it so I made it work). My guinea pig is in a small rabbit cage with a solid plastic bottom and it works perfectly fine for her because there is plenty of room for her to run around all her toys and her pigloo, and she's not exactly a tiny piggle either!

Comment

Working...
                    X