This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In one ear and out the other

So at my job, a phone number is the quickest way to pull up someone's account, and as we service multiple states in the Uas, area codes are important, for those not in the US who may not know, number with are code makes 10 digits, and the area code isn't always needed when dialing local.

Me - So can I get your phone number please
    SC - 457-7890
    Me - And the area code?
    SC - 12345 (their postal code)
    Me - And can I get the 3-Digit area code (see, trying to help them narrow it down, aren't I nice)
    SC - 12345
    Me - Again I ask for the area code
    SC - I don't know what you asking me
    Me - What number do you give people who need to call you From out of state?
    SC - 123-456-7890

That wasn't that hard was it?

When I put in a special order at work I need the area code, and many people just assume that I know that their number is the local area code. I guess the area code for here covers a large-ish area... Where I grew up there were multiple area codes for a smaller (but more densely populated) area. Everyone always gave the area code no matter what.

When I am asked for my number I always say "area code 123" and yet often I STILL get asked "is that 125 area code?" Yes I know they ask dozens or hundreds of people each day, but they don't pay attention and assume.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I guess I'm lucky here in Aus, one area code covers almost the whole state

Comment

fun one for me is since i travel so much... and tend to stay in "out in the country" locales.. when places ask my phone number, i always start "area code 123" because if i don't, they invariably automatically plug in whatever the local area code is and when i get to the last 4 numbers they get confused

Comment

Working...
        X