This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another girl mechanic in the works!

As part of my "solve the mystery squeal" in my car's front end, I decided to go ahead and replace the front brakes. I was going to do it this afternoon, but then remembered I was going to have the girl child tonight and decided to wait until after school and give her the opportunity to help. I'm so glad I decided to wait. She was really excited to help, and pretty much did the passenger side by herself after I showed her on the driver's side. Yay! I'm always a bit giddy when women get interested in these things!

Pictures attached, and yes, I know she should have been wearing shoes. I didn't notice until we were pretty much done.

Sorry the pictures are so huge! I couldn't figure out how to do attachments. Grrrrr.

<mod edit - changed to attachments>
    Attached Files
    Last edited by EricKei; 06-13-2015, 02:29 AM.
    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

I know who to call if I need a brake job.

Good for you two. I would have no idea how to do it.
    "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

i don't know why... all i can focus on is her socks and WOODSTOCK!woot!

Comment

Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
        I know who to call if I need a brake job.

Good for you two. I would have no idea how to do it.

If you have any interest, disc brakes are actually a really good place to start learning. They're pretty simple and easy to access. I learned how to work on cars growing up with my father. My grandmother was an airplane mechanic in the Army Air Corps, back when they called it that, so the idea that there was anything off limits to women was not a concept in my father's house. I will admit there were times growing up where I resented having to help, but the skills have served me well as an adult. I'm by no means an expert mechanic, but I know my way around an engine well enough to at least not get screwed over by sleazy mechanics if there's something beyond my skill level that needs to be done.
        At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post

<mod edit - changed to attachments>
          Thank you! I could get one to attach, but not all three. It was weird. I appreciate you doing that for me.

Comment

No problem. You can't multi-select in Attachments, you have to hit browse, open, upload for the first file, then rinse & repeat for each file thereafter Comes in handy for huge images, too -- the WIMG tag is kinda wonky, and using attachments always generates the thumnail view, so I prefer it anyway.
            Last edited by EricKei; 06-13-2015, 03:21 AM.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
              If you have any interest, disc brakes are actually a really good place to start learning. They're pretty simple and easy to access. I learned how to work on cars growing up with my father.
              That's pretty much how I learned how to mess with cars. I'm no expert mechanic either, but I am learning. Brakes are one thing that I usually don't attempt--ever since I lost my brakes many years ago. With that said, the project car did get a full front brake rebuild (rotors, pads, calipers) when I rebuilt the suspension a few years ago. The only issue I had...was I couldn't get the air out of the lines, leading to a mushy pedal. After 3 attempts, I had the car towed to a local garage. Turns out that one of the lines had perished inside...and was plugged.

Back on topic, mad props and to the "girl child" for not only lending a hand, but wanting to do it.
              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

This is great! It's always best to teach these skills early. Getting girls interested is always great.
                My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

I taught all my kids basis auto upkeep. They all can change the oil, fill the other liquids, check their brakes, etc., My wife and I offered to match the kids dollar for dollar on their first cars. The boys elected to buy older trucks to restore. My youngest son has made a hobby of it. My youngest daughter was given her car by my Mom and very nice and trustworthy 2008 Escape. Two oldest daughters elected to buy new used cars that didn't require any work.
                  Congrats to the mechanicette. I've noticed more and more women in the service departments at new dealerships.
                  Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

The thing is I probably could do maintenance on my car (brakes, oil...), but I really don't have the free time to even think about attempting it. If I did, I might actually try to do so.
                    "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
                      The thing is I probably could do maintenance on my car (brakes, oil...), but I really don't have the free time to even think about attempting it. If I did, I might actually try to do so.
                      But if a sleazy mechanic tried to con you into having work done that you don't need, you know enough about cars that your BS detector would go off. That's basically my whole goal with all my kids, including the girl child who's not really mine but is mine as far as I'm concerned. She may never develop enough of an interest to actually do all or most of her own work on her future cars, but she's interested enough to learn with me now, so when it's time for to own her own cars, she'll at least know enough to know if somebody's trying to con her.

Comment

Working...
                      X