X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Don't Look Chinese.

No Sales Taxes
    This lady didn't want to pay sales tax and wanted fifty percent off a purse she bought. I don't want my state's Department of Revenue breathing down my ass about not charging sales tax when we should have.

"You don't look Chinese."
    Me: I am Chinese. (I am technically Chinese American. I was born in America, speak only English, and visited my parents' home country as an adult.)
    SC: You don't look Chinese. You're tanner.
    Last edited by Water; 06-17-2015, 06:35 PM.
    It's called common sense for a reason

1. I got one of them a few months ago. She had made a few purchases in the past but hadn't been in for about 2 years.

She wanted to get a pair of computer speakers cheaper "just because" and then didn't want to pay tax if she paid for them in cash. No to both, sweetheart.

2. Tell them you're from the South Side of China. Kind of like Worf from Star Trek.

Comment

Your Star Trek reference lost me.
      Last edited by Water; 06-13-2015, 09:48 PM.

Comment

As my 11th grade Geometry teacher often said, "You can't go by looks!"

Comment

Quoth Water View Post

"You don't look Chinese."
          Me: I am Chinese. (I am technically Chinese American. I was born in America, speak only English, and visited my parents' home country as an adult.)
          "I'm still capable of playing joke and going pee pee in your coke."

Okay, I'll show myself out.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Water View Post

Really? I mean, he might as well have said "you all look alike" because that's how rude that is. Also, I feel like the vast majority of people have no idea how large countries like China and India are. The other day I was making some remark about curry, and how I used to only like some curries, and the person seriously said "what do you mean, kinds? Isn't curry just curry?" And I was like I do not have energy for this. (I used to dislike curry with coconut milk in it, but my tastes have changed and now I challenge you to find me a curry I don't like.)
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

So true

Quoth Estil View Post
              As my 11th grade Geometry teacher often said, "You can't go by looks!"
              So true. Reminds me of the phrase "Don't judge a book by its cover".

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                Really? I mean, he might as well have said "you all look alike" because that's how rude that is. Also, I feel like the vast majority of people have no idea how large countries like China and India are. The other day I was making some remark about curry, and how I used to only like some curries, and the person seriously said "what do you mean, kinds? Isn't curry just curry?"
                I think my brain just broke. I used to live in a town a half-hour train ride from London. Between our large Indian, Bangladeshi, Pakistani, Jamaican and Turkish populations (not to mention small pockets of Chinese, assorted Arab countries plus a recent influx of Egyptian people) and the many cultures I ran into in London I can confidently say I've eaten curries from (or influenced by) at least a dozen cultures, all with their own unique twists.

There are exactly 2 things I miss from the town I moved from. My friends and the food. Around here going for a Chinese is considered exotic
                "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth Water View Post
                  "Don't judge a book by its cover".
                  But that's how I've picked some of my favorite books.
                  The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Quoth Water View Post
                    So true. Reminds me of the phrase "Don't judge a book by its cover".
                    In my geometry teacher's case though he was referring to whether a geometric shape/line is "congruent".

Comment

Quoth Aragarthiel View Post
                      That's how my dad bought me a series of romance novels on accident when I was 12. He thought it was historical fiction.
                      How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                        There are exactly 2 things I miss from the town I moved from. My friends and the food. Around here going for a Chinese is considered exotic
                        I know the feeling.
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

"what do you mean, kinds? Isn't curry just curry?"
                          I have to admit that I used to think that "curry" was just the name of a kind of spice. That was until I met a couple from Nepal in college. They invited my roommate and me over for dinner one night and served rice with seven or eight different curries, served in their traditional style (sit on the floor, eat with your fingers). I liked all but one of them and learned to think differently about other cultures' foods.

But, when I was starting junior high school, my family moved from the big city to a rural town in Utah where the population was about 75% Caucasian, 23% Hispanic, and 2% Vietnamese (who mostly kept to themselves). So I didn't have much exposure to other cultures for a few years.

Quoth Aragarthiel View Post
                          There will be times when you might leap before you look.
                          There'll be times you like the cover, and that's precisely why you'll love the book.
                          Do it anyway.
                          - Ben Folds Five, Do It Anyway
                          I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
                          - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
                          - IPF

Comment

I might live in a small town, but there's more variety regarding restaurants than most large towns. XD Chinese, Indian (about three different areas, too!), Portuguese, Mexican, Italian, Thai... it's amazing.
                            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                            My DeviantArt.

Comment

SC was a lady

Really? I mean, he might as well have said "you all look alike" because that's how rude that is. Also, I feel like the vast majority of people have no idea how large countries like China and India are. The other day I was making some remark about curry, and how I used to only like some curries, and the person seriously said "what do you mean, kinds? Isn't curry just curry?" And I was like I do not have energy for this. (I used to dislike curry with coconut milk in it, but my tastes have changed and now I challenge you to find me a curry I don't like.)
                              The SC was actually a lady.

Comment

Working...
                              X