This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, I won't say anything

This is another story from my favorite karaoke bar. As some of you know, my son turned 21 last winter, so sometimes he comes out to the bar with me. This story involves me, him, and my other friend Mike, who I've posted about before.

Mike, my son, and myself were all sitting side by side at the bar. It was kind of packed, and there were no tables available, or any other spots with three open seats in a row. It's not uncommon to lose your seat when you get up to sing a song or to use the bathroom, and I don't make a big deal out of it if it wasn't obvious that I was sitting there. I'll politely ask for my seat back, sit somewhere else, or sometimes not even sit back down at all. I sit on my ass all day at work, so I can do some standing when I'm at the bar.

However, I've had a few rare cases where someone took my seat, even though my personal belongings -- my drink, my stack of song slips with "Metal Mike" on them, even my coat depending on the weather. And I will get kind of snarky then. Last time that happened, I asked, "Hey, can I have my seat back?" The person just gave me a dumb look as he was getting up and asked, "Oh, were you sitting there?" I just said, "Yeah, that's why my stuff was there!"

It happened to my son a couple of months ago. The weather was finally starting to get warm, and it got a little hot in the bar. My son doesn't deal well with the heat, so he stepped outside to get some air. While he was outside, some drunk girl sat down next to me, where my son was sitting, despite his drink and his takeout food being right there.

I was about to say something, when I saw my son come in the door. I figured I'd let him handle it, since he's better at dealing with people than I am. But he told me he wasn't going to say anything to her and asked me not to say anything either. I later found out that if it had been a guy who took his seat, he would have said something. But for some reason, he couldn't bring himself to ask a woman to get out of his seat.

Shortly after that, Mike also noticed what had happened, and he was going to say something. Again, my son told him not to say anything to her. But he didn't tell us not to say anything around her. I guess this exchange may have been a little passive-aggressive...

Mike: HEY MIKE!"

Me: Yeah?

Mike: ISN'T THAT YOUR SON'S FOOD?

Me: YES IT IS!"

Mike: AND ISN'T THAT YOUR SON'S DRINK?

Me: WELL YES IT IS!

Mike: WHY IS SOMEONE SITTING IN YOUR SON'S SEAT?

Me: I DON'T KNOW!

She had to have heard us, even as noisy as it was in the place, but she was either took drunk to pick up on it, or she just didn't care. At one point, she hung her purse on the one the hooks they have under the bar, and then she got up to use the bathroom. She's lucky I wasn't the kind of person that would toss the purse out in the street and then say, "Purse? What purse?"

Eventually one of the seats on the other side opened up and my son was able to sit around again. I reached over to grab my son's food from where he had been sitting, and that drunk idiot just looked at me like I was doing something I shouldn't have been doing. As drunk as she was, she may have thought it was her food.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

She had to be pretty damn drunk if she left her purse at the bar when she went to the bathroom. That's a good way to lose money, ID and whatever else might be in that purse.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
    X