X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Give me back the money that I spent

Overdraft options. *sigh*

They are a lot better since the debit card became separated from other types of transactions. So, you can have your account set up to pay into a negative balance to cover things like your rent check, while still having your debit card set to decline if the money is not in your account.

The problem in today's story comes with the third option: overdraw from another account, credit card or a line of credit (if you have one).

SC politely waits until she's in my office and sitting down even before she starts yelling unintelligibly at me. Seriously, I just could not understand her. I did get her to calm down and began to gather that the problem was that we'd "taken money from her savings without her permission". My mind goes at first to fraud, but after she throws her account card and ID at me, I pull up her account and discover that is not the case.

She set up her checking account to be able to overdraw from her savings. She then used her debit card for more money than was in her checking account... and we pulled $100 from her savings to allow her card to keep working and cover the transactions.

But she didn't WANT us to take money from her savings!

So I pull up the overdraft forms. We like getting signatures. And there is her very own signature next to the "please take money from the below account [savings account listed] in the event that my checking does not have the funds available to cover a transaction. If the source of the overdraw is a deposit account (as opposes to a credit card or line of credit) overdrafts will pull in $100 increments and charge a $5 overdraft transfer fee."

WHAT!!!! We charged her a FEE also!!!
    ...it degenerated here for a bit.

Eventually, it turns out that, according to SC, since she set her debit card up to decline instead of going into the negative, she also thought... it would ignore her other instruction to us to first try to pull available money from her savings?

This is actually not an uncommon confusion. When overdraft is not well-explained, some customers think the overdraw from their savings option only applies to checks and ACH withdraws, not to their debit card. For this reason, I refund her the $5 overdraft transfer fee and make certain the pull from savings is turned off for the future.

Does this take care of the matter? Oh no. No it does not.

See, she wants her $100 back.

The $100 that SHE SPENT on debit card purchases. Because she needed the money in her savings, and she should not be responsible for paying attention to her own balances or how much she is spending. Her card should have declined!!!

Refunding a fee, I can do. Disputing fraud, I can do. Giving someone an extra hundred bucks because they overspent... I guess I could have offered to put in a loan application, but something about the conversation made me think she wouldn't have appreciated the offer.

I did make certain to slowly and carefully explain to her all the other lovely ways her card can accidentally overdraw her account even when it's set to decline. Things like pay at the pump gas (we only hold $1) or restaurants who approve the transaction before the tip is added in, or rental ANYTHING where their are charges above the original estimate or delayed shipping where they charge the card so many days after the approval that we aren't holding the funds anymore.

I made certain to give her a very, very complete explanation. And noted her account to that extent. Because can't have her saying she didn't know when one of those things ends up making her owe us money.

And people wonder why I actually READ anything I'm putting my signature on... Pissed off the mortgage officer something fierce.
    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

cb - Keep doing that ^_^ If someone gets annoyed at your attention to detail in matters like this, there's probably a good reason for you to be suspicious.
      Last edited by EricKei; 06-25-2015, 04:23 PM.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
        cb - Keep doing that ^_^ If someone gets annoyed at your attention to detail in matters like this, there's probably a good reason for you to be suspicious.
        Trust me, I have no intention of stopping. I think the mortgage officer just didn't want to sit there while I read 200 pages of legal-ese... Too bad.
        "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
          And people wonder why I actually READ anything I'm putting my signature on... Pissed off the mortgage officer something fierce.
          I have customers who apologize to me for reading the entire thing. I always tell them, "PLEASE read it over. I only summarize because most people go glassy-eyed when I try to explain in more detail than a brief sentence or two." Personally, I like dealing with someone who wants to know what they're getting. They're much less likely to assume the wrong thing and make my life a pain in the a$$ later.

Plus, I like to talk, and being asked to explain more is never a hardship for me.

Comment

I have several steadies who read the entire contract and study the returns I do for them.
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
              same here. dude wanted to head home early, but I was reading every blessed word on every cursed page before signing/initialing anything... at ~4pm on a friday.

Comment

I had one property management place who just pushed the lease agreement at me to sign... Well, my mom was my co-signer, and she reads everything. The lady in the office just stared at her like she was nuts. I mean, it's a college town and everything, so maybe students just sign without reading? My current lease has some really specific and funny stuff in it.

For example, I'm not allowed to use the coin op washer to dye fabric. You might think, wow that's weird, but I might have done so if I hadn't read the agreement. Now all the overdraft options are making me think I should double check mine. I vaguely remember when I opened the account trying to make sure that if I didn't have enough it would decline. But now I wonder, like about the gas station hold. Hum.
                Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I do credit apps and also mobile phone contracts in my store, I tell the customers that they will get an email copy of the documents, but I don't mind if they read through all of the contracts they are signing for

Comment

So she spent her OWN money, and wanted it to be reimbursed?? Isn't she a special one?!

And people wonder why I read every single word of a document before I sign anything....

Comment

Quoth bankworking View Post
                      If the source of the overdraw is a deposit account (as opposes to a credit card or line of credit) overdrafts will pull in $100 increments and charge a $5 overdraft transfer fee.
                      Dang. I think I need to sign up with your bank. Mine charges a $30 overdraft protection fee for every charge that pushes the debit account into the negative. I don't do it often, but when I do, that $30 is really a kick in the face.

Quoth bankworking View Post
                      See, she wants her $100 back.

The $100 that SHE SPENT on debit card purchases....
                      Excuse me a moment while I reboot my brain. Wow. That level of dumb almost deserves a trophy.

Quoth Crossbow View Post
                      And people wonder why I actually READ anything I'm putting my signature on...
                      Mrs. Shirts does that, too. Sometimes she'll even summarize it for me. We just signed a waiver for a zip line course, and her summary was, "Our staff will try to keep us safe, but you can't sue us if you do something stupid."
                      I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
                      - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
                      - IPF

Comment

Would the SC in the OP prefer to have her checks bouncing all over the place?
                        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                          Would the SC in the OP prefer to have her checks bouncing all over the place?
                          She doesn't mind them bouncing all over the place, just as long as they don't bounce back to her.
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

When I played EVE Online, I learned that rule very well.

Always read the Contracts Before accepting

Everyone should learn this concept in school (not that it would help, half would not pay attention, the other half would not care).
                            I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Working...
                            X