This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Finding a Will.

I'm hoping you guys can help me. I'd like to find a will that is legally binding, that would be legally binding in whatever State I lived in, that an idiot could fill out, and that doesn't cost a whole lot of money.

Yes, the will is for me.

No, I am no ill. Nor am I dying. Well, anymore than any of the rest of us are.

But I am getting older (45 last month), and since we all know anything can happen at any time for absolutely no reason, I'd like to have this part of my life squared away, and to make it clear who my legal heir is, and who would be in charge of dispersing my assets, if such things become needed.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Quoth Jester View Post
    I'm hoping you guys can help me. I'd like to find a will that is legally binding, that would be legally binding in whatever State I lived in, that an idiot could fill out, and that doesn't cost a whole lot of money.

here, they even tell you how to write it
    Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

State laws differ. If you move back to Arizona, you will need to write a new will.

However, there are a lot of do it yourself options. Try Legal Zoom, you can get forms there that are compliant with local state laws for simple wills. It doesn't have to be that complicated.
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Barnes and Noble will have a wills for dummies book I'm sure. All you have to do is write out what you want to have happen with your assets and get it notarized. This is based on tx probate so ymmv but its a start

Comment

States differ. For my ethics class, though, we had to cover Five Wishes which is binding in most states: https://www.agingwithdignity.org/five-wishes-states.php

It's more focused on living will stuff but it'll also cover some of the basics at least, such as leaving info on where to find and how to access your accounts and funeral arrangements and stuff.

Not sure about a full-on, split up your assets will will, though.
          Last edited by bhskittykatt; 07-06-2015, 04:05 AM.
          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

There are quite a few legal software products which work quite nicely. They ask a series of questions that don't require legal training to understand.
            I had our lawyer review the ones I prepped for my in-laws and he stated that they were legal and had some overkill (i.e. provisions already mandated by the Illinois Probate Code). You can find them at most big-box office supply stores.
            Mrs. TGK & I have a legal insurance plan which includes free (OK technically not out-of-pocket) wills.
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Having a will and setting up a trust usually makes things so much easier for any of your beneficiaries when you pass away. This something I've learned since I started handling calls on the survivor/beneficiary line for our client. Things are so much quicker when we know who to send the information to - ie. beneficiaries/trust on file - instead of hoping that our team of researchers can manage to find any next of kin the hard way. Even if we do have next of kin information but no beneficiaries on file there is a whole rigamarole that the people handling the estate information have to go through in order to claim any funds.

I cannot state enough how important it is to have a will drawn up, and beneficiaries in place for any life insurance you might have. Good on you, Jester, for being ahead of the ball on this! I can't really recommend any software or what-have-you to help, but the other folks seem to have listed off likely posibilities

Comment

Working...
              X