X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Co-worker got in trouble for talking to a security guard

This incident happened on Friday.

Both of us work as porters for a parking company.

We work for an area of garages managed by our employer.

There is a manager over the entire area of garages as well as 3 area managers over a particular number of garages within the entire area of garages whom we all report to. There is also a porter supervisor whom we all report to as well.

Apparently his area manager and the porter supervisor were getting breakfast in the building that is located next to the parking garage that my co-worker is assigned to clean. My co-worker was seen talking to a security guard by both of them.

So later on that day the porter supervisor told my co-worker that he could suspend him for 3 days for talking to a security guard, but he will not because my co-worker is needed to clean the garage since we are short-handed on porters. Apparently the porter supervisor told my co-worker that employees are seen talking to other people, and the parking garages are not getting cleaned. But the next time he is seen doing that, he will be suspended for 3 days.

My co-worker was not a happy camper after that happened.

If you can get in trouble and lose pay over talking to someone, then it is time to look for another job. That is ridiculous.

Comment

Jeez. Who's to say the security guard wasn't passing on vital, work-related, information, like a warning about an armed car thief in the garage or the fact that the wind blew all the crap into a corner on level 4 behind the blue truck?
      Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

EvilEmpryss is right, the conversation could easily have been work-related and this should have been confirmed before all this gossip became "fact"!

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
          If you can get in trouble and lose pay over talking to someone, then it is time to look for another job. That is ridiculous.
          Aye, it is, and is also typical. At many places I have worked (and shopped), many managers seem to be under this bizarre delusion that someone who stopped to talk to another person for two minutes is not doing ANY of the work from their entire shift that day. As for their claim that the garage isn't getting cleaned...? That's easy enough to prove, one way or the other. GO LOOK.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Every time I see your posts about your job, snugglegirl05, I am convinced that you work for a bunch of micro-managers who are just never happy with their staff and are only looking for excuses to bitch at their staff over the smallest thing. I can't figure out why you're all still working for these idiots, to be entirely honest...I'd have walked ages ago because living in a cardboard box under a bridge would be preferable to the crap you and your fellow co-workers go through.

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
              My dad once worked for a lawyer that was like that. This guy actually told employees that if they were "caught" talking to anyone else on their floor (there was another business in another industry next door)...they were subject to immediate termination. Even a simple "hello" or "good morning" and you'd lose your job.
              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                My dad once worked for a lawyer that was like that. This guy actually told employees that if they were "caught" talking to anyone else on their floor (there was another business in another industry next door)...they were subject to immediate termination. Even a simple "hello" or "good morning" and you'd lose your job.
                Yikes !
                At my current workplace, pleasantries and small-talk is actually ENCOURAGED (just as long it doesn't evolve in an hour-long yapping session, that is) since it contributes to a nice and friendly work environment = more efficiency in the long run.

(Kinda sad that I'm only temping there for a month more...)
                A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

I should have been more clear. That is, if the employees of his firm were caught talking to the people next door, they'd be fired. Even a simple meeting in the hallway, or out on the sidewalk, and you could lose your job. Sorry for the confusion.
                  Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

When I first started working as part of the "library shelving staff, we were all but "not allowed" to talk to customers.....most every question "had" to be directed towards either the reference or circulation desk. (fortunately, that mindset has long since changed)

Comment

Working...
                    X