Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minor victory, finally going to college!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minor victory, finally going to college!

After almost a year of fighting the college I was trying to apply to because they kept losing my papers (high school transcript, test scores, etc), they finally seem to have them all! I'm going Thursday to double-check, and registration for classes starts in a couple of weeks.

If anyone wants to know, I'm going for an Associate's in Web Design. I took a web design class in high school and loved it, so hopefully this will work out well.
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Congratulations!

Comment

NOOOO!!! Everybody thinks the Zombie Apocalypse starts because a certain place gets full.. no, it is from College. They suck out your soul!!! Now on a serious front..congratulations.
      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Good luck on the registration.
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Update here.

The college had none of my paperwork except my admission form, but I was able to retake the entrance exam for free and I'm hand-delivering my high school transcript first chance I get. On the entrance exam, I missed one too many questions in the Algebra section but got perfect scores in Reading and Writing, though I expected to be a bit rusty after *muttermutter* years since high school. I'm retaking that section next week.

I really think I should have gone up to the college in the first place because I spent about two hours there, most of it taking the entrance exam. I managed to get enrolled, get a student advisor who registered me for classes, and even go so far as to get a student ID. Classes start for me on August 17.

All in all, I feel pretty damn good.
          The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

Comment

Congrats!!!! I just started working on my Bachelors in Web Design and Development

Good Luck
            Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

I wanted to go for my Bachelor's but there's not a single college in the state that has the degree, from what I can tell. It's all generic computer classes (like "Computer Science") that touch on the basics of Web Design.

Comment

Quoth Aragarthiel View Post
                Update here.

The college had none of my paperwork except my admission form, but I was able to retake the entrance exam for free and I'm hand-delivering my high school transcript first chance I get.
                *twitch*

i had this problem with my immunization records finally had to have them mailed to me then fax them myself then call 2 hours later to make sue they not only got them but applied them to my records.

Comment

Sounds like an experience I had with a (favorable) court date at the beginning of the year. They had needed certain records of mine, which I provided less than a week after their request for them; they acknowledge having received the items. Fast forward two months to the actual court date, and they say they don't have anything. It was slow, so I ask them to go through a nearby mailing rack. Turns out that they got the stuff in that first week, recorded them as having been received....and then promptly left them in the incoming mail rack to gather dust instead of scanning them in as they were supposed to so.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I actually had to retake the placement exam (I had taken it at another college, though I didn't actually take any classes there because of financial aid issues, and had requested my scores be faxed over), and I went back to my high school to talk to the guidance counselor and get a sealed copy of my transcript. I'm going to deliver that Thursday.

On another note, if someone with any experience in web design could PM me, I have a few simple questions about electives.

Comment

HUGE update!

I doubled my score on the section of the placement exam that I had missed, and added another class to my schedule so it's finally exactly the way I want it.

Not only that, but some of my financial aid award info came through. I'm getting a scholarship and a grant. I'm still waiting on the scholarship info, but the grant stuff came through. It alone will cover everything I need for school, so the scholarship will be pretty much leftover. And the way it works at my school, any financial aid money that doesn't get used for tuition/fees/books gets given directly to me, to use for whatever I want. As in, I could go get a collection of Beanie Babies if I so choose. So not only do I get to go to college without spending any of my own money or going into debt, there's a good chance I'll actually be getting money from it.

Comment

Working...
                      X