This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Same work for less money? Nooooo....

Recently one of the departments has gone to a piecework based program (where you get paid by how much you do vs by the hour). Yay! This is great for me too, because even though I'm not even in that department, I always have to go help them out at the end of the day. So I'll get a little bonus too!

Oh wait, the bonus only applies to the top 20 workers. So me and my crew will never, ever have the opportunity to get this bonus. Also, there's no overtime while working in this department. Which is fine if you're a hard worker and can produce more than the OT wage anyway, but for someone who's ineligible to receive said piecework bonus it's pretty weak.

Time for a new job. I'm so tired of this place. It's my third year there and some of the supervisers still treat me like I'm a rookie. I'm lucky if I can get one of them to say good morning to me.

Quoth deysongrey View Post
    Oh wait, the bonus only applies to the top 20 workers. So me and my crew will never, ever have the opportunity to get this bonus. Also, there's no overtime while working in this department. Which is fine if you're a hard worker and can produce more than the OT wage anyway, but for someone who's ineligible to receive said piecework bonus it's pretty weak.
    No, it's not *weak*. The word you are searching for is *illegal*.

Overtime pay is *not* optional. Not unless you are salaried and making above a certain amount per year.

The piecework bit doesn't really change that. Not if they are only giving it to some of the workers.

I think you need to get this policy in writing, then run a copy past the wage & hour board of your state/province.

Comment

By "no overtime" do you mean "nobody works enough hours to fall into overtime" or "you work overtime but don't get paid overtime"?
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

My impression was you got overtime but deysongrey and their people were not eligible for the bonus, which really stinks...

Comment

My understanding of it is this: all my time spent in my department is standard pay, overtime as well. But for the hour or two a day that i am in the other department, i get piecework pay but thlse hours do not count towards my overtime or as overtime. If i do not make the required piecework rate, i still get my regular hourly wage. And since the piecework pay is only for the top twenty highest performers, i will never ever get the bonus so im stuck at my base wage. V

If that makes any sense

Comment

Yes, if you're on the clock you're due overtime if it's required by law. Doesn't matter what department you're in or what they call the task.

Comment

Quoth deysongrey View Post
              My understanding of it is this: all my time spent in my department is standard pay, overtime as well. But for the hour or two a day that i am in the other department, i get piecework pay but thlse hours do not count towards my overtime or as overtime.
              So "you work overtime but don't get paid overtime" then.

Yeah, no bueno. The hours you work determines if you get overtime, not which department you work those hours in. Sounds like a scheme to get out of paying overtime.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
              X