This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Shangri-laschild View Post
    We get this on the phone a lot... just tell me who you need to talk to. And yet, it happens plenty.
    Yeah, that's where I got my bad habit of interrupting students. Oddly, only one has ever minded, most just seem glad that I'm solving their problem/answering their question.

I can't even imagine how much this would happen on a phone, you know, aside from reading posts here.

I've requested that next time I have to train someone on a computer, I be allowed a laser pointer because of how much this has happened. "See the thing your cursor is on? Directly to the left of that" *they then move their mouse all the way to the other monitor on the right* "here?"
    Yeeesssss, this idea pleases me. Especially if I should aim the reflection juuuust right...

This is why I sometimes commandeer the computer mouse. Some people apparently never should have gotten their Mouse License.

The bookstore here used to be right next to my office and without fail ever summer Friday that we were closed someone would come in, stand and stare at the sign showing the hours, and after 5 minutes come and ask me if the bookstore was closed.
    It's scary how few people seem to observe, and read.

I'm hoping it's actually that most people do that, and immediately disappear so that I/we never notice them. That makes me feel better about the world.

Don't worry, they won't figure it out any time soon.
    I've been doing it for a decade now at various jobs, and the only person to ever notice and call me on it was a family member.

Apparently I've a decent actor, cause I should have been caught long ago. :/

The number of times I've had to reassure someone of this is crazy. No amount of saying "the week of x date" seems to clear it up.
    Yeah, it just doesn't seem to translate. I eventually just look at days of the class, and tell them that the first day of class for that class is BLANK.

They don't learn, but, I don't get a headache, so. Meh.

Quoth Ophbalance View Post
    One of the reasons I got married was financial aid. I was 21 at the time and it let me skip the parents income bit. You can also likely do the emancipated minor bit to skip it as well.
    Yep, also works if parents are in jail. But, I never get anyone with this problem who can actually use any of those exemptions. Just: Hard working people who have been effectively abandoned (But not actually unfortunately) and have to make their way on their own despite a system that, while not working against them, isn't doing them any favors (Just as their parents aren't)... and people who aren't hard working whose parents haven't so much abandoned them, as wished to god they would leave, and that maybe they hadn't exchanged genetic information about two decades earlier.

Edit: Did some searching, and near as I can tell, the requirements originate in the "Higher Education Act of 1965", but a good synopsis can be found here on Wikipedia. The FAFSA webpage isn't as good oddly enough. XD

Quoth Aragarthiel View Post
    I was confused as to why I didn't have to fill that out if it was necessary. That explains it.

I know that some financial aid is more strict than others. I'm getting a scholarship from the state that covers all of my tuition, but you have to keep at least a B in your classes and they're rather strict about people dropping classes. Hubs got the grant version of the scholarship (he didn't do as well as I did in high school), and when he dropped one of his classes because of a scheduling issue, his parents (he was 17 at the time and still living at home) had to pay back what the grant had paid for the class.
    Those are vaguely what's supposed to happen. The tuition fee waiver just started doing that. The Grants work the same as your Husbands, but if you don't care about the debt, and I've heard of no mechanism for retrieving that debt, Aside from: "No more classes for you!", and as you can appeal to have classes again, and apparently people were somehow managing to sign up for more classes despite having debt on their records like that... (Shrug)

Honestly, it seems like they're getting their act together, but wow, they waited a while.

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
    I worked with a perfectly lovely lady from Nunavut. She was 75, came to the US as a war bride in the 40's, had never seen a car before moving.
    War bride? Wasn't aware of any Canadian ones with (Presumably) American Serviceman in that time period. That led to some interesting googling/wiki-ing. Love learning stuff like that, thank you.
    Last edited by Tee; 08-01-2015, 02:39 AM. Reason: Combining posts.
    I am a Blank Space for spacing purposes, ignore me.
    In order to treat someone as your equal, you first need to believe both: that they are your equal, and that you are their's.

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
      I worked with a perfectly lovely lady from Nunavut. She was 75, came to the US as a war bride in the 40's, had never seen a car before moving.
      Quoth Tee View Post
      War bride? Wasn't aware of any Canadian ones with (Presumably) American Serviceman in that time period. That led to some interesting googling/wiki-ing. Love learning stuff like that, thank you.
      That lady definitely wasn't from Nunavut. Nunavut is a fairly recent creation (IIRC, no earlier than the '90s - carved out of the Northwest Territories), so anyone who left the Great White North for the U.S. during the '40s couldn't have come from Nunavut.

On a related note, was the Kaiser's summer palace in East Germany or West Germany?
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Might have meant, "the area that eventually became Nunavut". /shrug
        I am a Blank Space for spacing purposes, ignore me.
        In order to treat someone as your equal, you first need to believe both: that they are your equal, and that you are their's.

Comment

Quoth Tee View Post
          Might have meant, "the area that eventually became Nunavut". /shrug
          That's what I thought. My family tree lists my great-great-great grandparents as coming from Hungary, but at the time it was actually Transylvania. It's just easier to explain that they came from Hungary, though telling people I have Transylvanian blood is waaaaay more fun.
          The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Related to Tee mentioning that college isn't for everyone:

College isn't even for all the bright/intelligent people. Some of the smartest people I've known have gone the trades route for their careers!

My niece is a professional ballet dancer, and we couldn't be prouder of her.
            My brother became a sparky.
            I've known brilliant plumbers and bricklayers, and a very good friend of mine (before he moved to the other end of the country, waaah) is a sparky.

We-as-a-community will fall apart if all our bright, intelligent, and/or competent people go into college, and none are left to build and maintain our infrastructure.
            Or to grow our food, preserve it for transport, ship it (via however many warehouses) to retail, and provie it to consumers.
            Or ditto for all the other products we need. (substitute 'make' for 'grow'...)

The 'throw enough people at a job and it'll get done' corporate philosophy can only take a company so far; and it's incredibly wasteful. Better to play tetris with your staff, putting the right person in the right position.

(I'm one of the awkward zig-zag shapes you hate to see coming up)
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
            X