This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Place That Lie Will Never Fly

Currently on a flight to attend my Dad's wedding when I overheard this exchange:

Flight Attendant (FA)
    Little Liar (LL)

FA: Would you like anything to drink? We have (rambles off list of available drinks to the row in general).
    LL: I'd like a Chardonnay, please.
    FA (who wasn't born yesterday, looks at LL, who looks like she might have been): I'll need to see your ID, please.
    LL: ID? (blinks innocently) Oh, I don't have any ID with me. I'm old enough to drink tho.
    FA: I'll wait for you to get it out of the overhead if you need to.
    LL: No, that's, I just don't have any ID with me at all.
    FA: No ID? How'd you get past security?

Yeah, there's no way any adult on a plane doesn't have ID with them. Maybe it's in the overhead, but she disclaimed that excuse. Little Liar didn't get her alcohol this flight.
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

I can't imagine how she thought that would have worked. Every time I have flown as an adult, I have had to show my drivers license.
    This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

A big to the savvy flight attendant who didn't accept BS excuses from LL!

Seriously, has "I forgot my ID, but I'm old enough to drink" ever worked for anybody? Ever?
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
        A big to the savvy flight attendant who didn't accept BS excuses from LL!

Seriously, has "I forgot my ID, but I'm old enough to drink" ever worked for anybody? Ever?
        Yes, but the stories I read usually end in Fines and Fires.

I enjoy reading them with the voice of a "Fire and Brimstone" preacher.

and the LORD sent the POLICE to rain down his RIGHTEOUS JUDGEMENT on those SINNERS who drink the DEVIL'S KOOLAID while underage!! FINES AND FIRINGS RAINED DOWN FROM THE STATE, none shall be spared from HIS WRATH!!!
        I honestly enjoy, and miss, those sermons.

(ps: I am not bashing drinker, I drink on occasion too. I just could not stop giggling at the "Devil's Koolaid" line and had to include it. )
        I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Actually, in all seriousness, this should probably be seen as slightly more serious- IIRC, if a customer doesn't have a passport on arrival, then the airline gets fined (something like $20,000 per person that doesn't have a passport) so I'd say the flight attendant would be justified in demanding to see the person's passport anyway at that point. I COULD see a faint possibility that they had a brainfart and left their passport in their luggage, though. (IOW, their passport is in the hold of the plane)

Comment

If it was a domestic flight, she wouldn't need a passport. She would need one for international flights.

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
              LL: No, that's, I just don't have any ID with me at all.
              It would obviously not show her to be legal.
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

No, she wouldn't have needed passport, but there's no way to get through security if you put your ID in your checked luggage. The only way that the ID could be in checked luggage would be if they made the person gate-check the bag, which they'll do when the flight is crowded. Now this flight was crowded, and it's possible the bag had been gate-checked, but it's more likely from the girl's appearance that she was under age and trying to pull a fast one.
                Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                  it's more likely from the girl's appearance that she was under age and trying to pull a fast one.
                  Serious. I looked at the TSA's site and I guess there are ways you can get on a plane as an adult without ID, but I doubt it would be pleasant. Also I would assume you'd have some sort of paperwork after you got through the process. And you would NOT nonchalantly say "oh, I don't have ID with me." You'd no doubt burst into tears, or start rocking back and forth... Yeah, the TSA scares me.
                  Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                    I guess there are ways you can get on a plane as an adult without ID, but I doubt it would be pleasant.... Yeah, the TSA scares me.
                    I'll just show them my drivers license, thank you very much.

Comment

Quoth catcul View Post
                      I'll just show them my drivers license, thank you very much.
                      If I ever have the occasion to fly, I will most definitely have my wallet with me. If I leave the house, I have my wallet, which of course has my photo ID (ie, license) and my debit and credit cards.

Anyone who fails to do this is stupid, IMHO. Sounds to me like this little girl wanted to pull one over and failed miserably.
                      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

My boyfriend's daughter was able to board a plane without ID recently, so it does happen. She somehow managed to lose her wallet between the house and the airport. Fortunately, this airport isn't too big and she was early enough that they were able to get her on her flight even without the ID. I'm not sure how they did it, but she didn't complain, so I suppose it wasn't too unpleasant.

Also, I actually have been one of those people who managed the perfect storm of accidentally shoving my ID into my carry on bag instead of in my pocket or purse, then being required to gate check said bag. I didn't need the ID at any time during the flight, but if I did, I wouldn't have had it, so I wouldn't automatically assume somebody without ID is lying. In the case of the OP, however, it sounds like that wasn't the case, and she was trying to drink underage. Besides that, in many states, it doesn't matter how old you are: if you don't have ID, you don't drink, even if you're obviously 90 or so. It sucks if you lose the thing, but those are the breaks.
                        At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

I once dropped my ID somewhere past security in ABQ. Younger dumbass me exited the gate area after not seeing it anywhere nearby...can you guess what happened?

Yup. Luckily I had my phone on me and was able to call my dad (who was still in the gate area; we both had flights that day). We have the same last name, so he was able to get me back through. I don't recall exactly what was involved, just that I had to go through extra screening. When we get back into the gate area, we find out that a shopkeeper had found it...I must have dropped it just after getting to the concourse. Someone sat on the ID for 20 minutes before thinking to have me paged. I would think if you find a photo ID on the concourse you would want to turn it in/page the owner as soon as humanly possible, no? Even more luckily, we both made our flights (I suspect the airline held mine for a few minutes).

This is why I keep two valid state IDs, and usually have both on me when flying (whichever one I'm not using is tucked away in my wallet just in case).
                          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth catcul View Post
                            If it was a domestic flight, she wouldn't need a passport. She would need one for international flights.
                            actually arizona licenses dont yet meet federal saftey standards soon if i want to fly domestically i will need a passport because my license wont be enough. so you could have someone traveling with a passport

Comment

SnD: One thing to look into could be a Passport Card. They're a good bit cheaper than a formal passport, and are accepted for limited international travel for a few nearby countries. This may be less of a hassle than a full-fledged Passport (unsure if you need a current "real" PP to get it, though). Maybe those work for domestic flights, as they count as Federally-issued ID.
                              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                              X