This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great. Just lovely.

Not a huge deal, just more stress and waste of money.

Was apparently supposed to receive a package through USPS today. I thought it was sent regular mail, but I got a text asking if it got here, and a copy of the tracking number. It was sent (by my well meaning mom) first class next day delivery, so it should have been delivered today.

When I look it up, it says attempted delivery, notice was left. Oh hell no. I was home all day today. I HEARD the mailman. Our mailboxes are old school metal slots on the entryway wall. Which just happens to be directly on the other side of my living room. If I'm home I can hear it open and shut, even if I'm in the shower. It's an old building.

I heard him come and open the boxes, shut and leave. If I had known it was supposed to be here today, I would have gone out and asked. But I assumed it was sent regular and wouldn't be here until tomorrow or next week. He didn't knock, on my door or any other unit, and there is no notice anywhere.

Now I wouldn't care if it was like UPS where they try to deliver the next day. Since it's USPS now I have to call them, or fill out the email redeliver form which looks quite long. Oh, and I have filled out a form for them to always leave packages, they should have left it anyway. The post office is pure agony, but now I don't know if I trust him to actually deliver it.

So yeah, I guess the thing that made me mad is that I know he didn't even try to deliver it.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

I've had that happen before -- especially the "didn't even try to deliver" bit. If need be, contact the regional Postmaster General's office, they'll light a fire under their butts if that is what it takes.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
      I've had that happen before -- especially the "didn't even try to deliver" bit. If need be, contact the regional Postmaster General's office, they'll light a fire under their butts if that is what it takes.
      I don't remember this happening before, though I've had other weirdness for sure. Delivered to the wrong address, or delivered but not to the front door, etc. Few and far between, to be fair.

Now that I think about it, I remember a month or two ago I was pretty sure the mail didn't get picked up at all. I could tell because we just have an open cubby for the outgoing mail,* and the stuff in there stayed all day.

*It says "Outgoing Mail - Not an ashtray!" It in no way resembles an ashtray.

Comment

I had one time where, after some calling around, I was informed that the delivery person had their truck stopped in front of my house, and simply didn't feel like lifting the box. They didn't even ring the bell.

I've only ever had one major mis-delivery that I know of: a PS3, back when they were current. I only knew about it because the person who got it recognized my name (it had gone to (e.g.) 254 Mystreet instead of 245 Mystreet) -- she was an elderly lady who couldn't pick up the box herself.
        Last edited by EricKei; 08-01-2015, 04:08 PM. Reason: apparently i even spoonerise numbers x.x
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          (it had gone to (e.g.) 254 Mystreet instead of 254 Mystreet).
          um... I presume you meant to give different numbers.

But I've had a similar problem with packages delivered by Royal Mail. If I don't see the postman coming, and open the door then I get a "sorry you were out" card and have to retrieve the parcel from the post office. Which pissed me off once when I was waiting in a room right next to the front door- indeed, you actually have to TRY not to be noticed not to be spotted on your way to the door from this room- and I juts got the "sorry, you were out" card through the door. ( it turned out that we had a substitute postman for a few weeks, who it seems redefined laziness. When the regular postman returned, things went back to normal)

Comment

I've had this happen before with the brown truck company. Sometimes they'll actually stick the post-it on the door (no windows that way in this apartment complex) but won't bother knocking even though someone is home all day. I'm guessing, based on stories from a friend who worked for them, that it's a case of someone loading their truck improperly that day and they don't want to fish out an erratically-located package. It annoys me to no end! (Especially 'cause the truck shows up anywhere typically from 1pm to 8pm, so when it's an important package and we're taking time to arrange our schedules to make sure someone is home for it, it's frustrating.)
            Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

ss - thanks! fixed ^_^;>

My big issue is that, I've been told more than once that the USPS delivery peeps are *required* to knock or ring. I've had times when I was sitting in the front room, too, and only knew that something had arrived (or not arrived...) when I heard their truck revving up and pulling away. I can count the number of times they actually knocked/rung on one hand, at a place where I lived for over twenty years.

Comment

We have a designated substitute mail person who tends to leave our mailbox wide open. While it's a good way to tell if there's mail in the box without leaving the house, I'd rather not have the neighborhood see the package crammed in there or risk having the mail get wet if it rains. And I swear it rains Every. Single. Time.
                The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

I used to hear them ring the doorbell, get up and by the time I got to the front door (I live in a second floor apartment) UPS/FEDEX would be driving off. Or I'd have to chase the mailman down the block.

This sort of thing is why years back I got fed up and printed a sheet that I tape to the inside of the glass on the front door of the building.

It's in really large print and says something like "UPS/FEDEX/etc
                  If you have a delivery for Apt #[mine], I <u>AM</u> home. But I'm on the second floor and it'll take a few minutes for me to get to the door.

Funny thing, no more ring & dash deliveries.

I've *once* had the driver for some lesser known company leave the box by the door. If that ever happens again, I'll add something about *not* leaving the boxes, but waiting for me.

I suspect that having the notice on the door puts the driver on notice that if they try a ring&dash, I *will* complain to their company.

Comment

So I probably didn't get the redelivery form filled out right. At one point it asks for the article number and I checked the box that said I didn't have it. According to the USPS lady on the phone, that's where I was supposed to put in my tracking number. But I didn't since I didn't know that "article" meant "tracking". Essentially the call didn't tell me much, I'm just waiting to see if it shows up today.

I have filled out forms for every carrier that they absolutely CAN leave packages at my door. It's the hallway of a small apartment building, people have had packages sitting for days, nobody touches them. A couple times the boxes had well known electronics logos on them, like Dell or Sony. I know, someday maybe I'll change my mind when something gets stolen, but right now I'm like leave the damn box.

The mailman had to walk by my door in order to get to the mailboxes, normally he just drops the package, knocks, and moves on to deliver the mail. So why not just dump the box, it would have taken two seconds. Maybe he left it in the truck? Normally when they deliver something I hear some beeping, like they are scanning something, or confirming delivery. I didn't hear that this time.

Comment

I hate to say it, but I got a sub mail carrier in trouble once. I was working in my front yard when he pulled up to deliver the mail. He sat for a little longer than normal and then drove off. I went and got the mail only to find the "Unable to Deliver" notice sitting there. I was at the post office waiting when he got there so I could get my package. The Postmaster wasn't too happy to find out that he not only didn't even try to deliver it, but couldn't be bothered to talk to the person less than 15 feet away. When they went out to his truck to get mine they found that he hadn't delivered any of the packages he had.

Comment

Quoth Arcus View Post
                        I hate to say it, but I got a sub mail carrier in trouble once. (snip) When they went out to his truck to get mine they found that he hadn't delivered any of the packages he had.
                        No, YOU didn't get him in trouble. He got HIMSELF in trouble by being too damn lazy to do his job (or even to "ring and dash" - since you were in the garden, he would have had to go past you, and you could have spoken to him at that point). The sooner he's gone, and replaced with someone who ACTUALLY DOES WHAT HE'S PAID TO DO, the better.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Arcus View Post
                          I hate to say it, but I got a sub mail carrier in trouble once. I was working in my front yard when he pulled up to deliver the mail. He sat for a little longer than normal and then drove off. I went and got the mail only to find the "Unable to Deliver" notice sitting there. I was at the post office waiting when he got there so I could get my package. The Postmaster wasn't too happy to find out that he not only didn't even try to deliver it, but couldn't be bothered to talk to the person less than 15 feet away. When they went out to his truck to get mine they found that he hadn't delivered any of the packages he had.
                          actually, you were pretty much irrelevant to him getting in trouble- I'm 99% sure that as soon as it turned out that he hadn't actually delivered a single parcel, he'd have needed to answer some fairly probing questions.

Comment

Yeah Arcus, when someone douses themselves in gasoline, while wearing cloths made of flashpaper, and carrying a giant torch, it's not the fault of the person they ran into that they got set on fire. XD
                            I am a Blank Space for spacing purposes, ignore me.
                            In order to treat someone as your equal, you first need to believe both: that they are your equal, and that you are their's.

Comment

Update! Time for me to eat some crow, if that's the right expression.

My dear mom didn't write my apartment number on the box! I went out to talk to the guy and he totally had the box. So all is well, and I'm going to call my mom and remind her that I don't, in fact, occupy the whole house.

Comment

Working...
                              X