This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do i need to pay the mechanic?

My car recently developed a coolant leak. Took it to mechanic. He says its the thermostat. Nine hours of labor and 30 dollars in parts later he tells me he was wrong and its out of his league. He doesnt know whats wrong nor does he have the tools to fix it. And thatll be four hundred dollars please.

$400 for what? To tell u he don't know jack shit?

Comment

I canunderstand the parts but the labor pisses me off. Especially whem he said itd be about five hours. And if he had said five and it only took three i know hed probly bill me for five.

Comment

I don't suppose he gave you a written estimate, preferably with exceptions or discounts to cover this sort of thing? If not -- maybe talk to his boss and at least request a discount/find and fix the ACTUAL problem for no additional fee? E.g. - if you gotta go somewhere else, send this shop the bill (and get this in writing).
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Coolant leaks should be traced back to the source BEFORE breaking out the wrenches and parts. Strike 1.
          Thermostats are usually fairly easy to get to, just follow the upper radiator hose (hot side) to the engine. 9 hours? Did he charge you for that night's sleep? Strike 2.
          Problem not fixed. Problem (with car, AND with him) not even located? Seriously, put down the wrenches and back away from the car as you are NOT a mechanic. Maybe, on a good day, you are a PARTS CHANGER, but not a mechanic.

Check around for your state/province/county Bureau of Automotive Repair. Also, there may be a trip to Small Claims Court in your future. (Bring a REAL effing mechanic(or a written statement from) if you can)

Oh, and thermostats are usually an internal gizmo. There can be a leak at the thermostat, but that would be under seals/gaskets.
          Last edited by Buzzard; 08-04-2015, 06:36 AM. Reason: forgot about written statements & courts

Comment

Tracing a coolant leak to its source should not be that hard. Actually fixing it - especially if it's in a nasty to get at place - might be significantly harder. But you trace it FIRST.

I can understand charging you a diagnostics fee. That fee would cover the time and effort of tracing the leak, and probably a bit of cleaning and degreasing to make the leak easier to find. Possibly replacing hoses that were old enough to be likely sources of the leak, or spring clamps that had lost some of their spring.
            The hoses or clamps might be under 'parts', but should be itemised.

A $400 diagnostics fee for a coolant leak in a car is crazy, though. Small claims, or some other 'WTF' system. Now.

BTW: sensible businesses inform you of a diagnostics fee up front. That way you know what you're in for as a minimum charge.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post
              Check around for your state/province/county Bureau of Automotive Repair. Also, there may be a trip to Small Claims Court in your future. (Bring a REAL effing mechanic(or a written statement from) if you can)
              Yep, I'd get a lawyer and go after the bastards. At the very least, have a strongly-worded letter drawn up, and a copy sent to the "mechanic."

I'm not going to bore you all with it again, but after my car was damaged--by a certain "garage" across town--I did just that. Basically, they damaged my car's hood, wouldn't own up to it, and tried to get me to pay for the repai Pissed off, I had my dad's friend (a lawyer, and a nice guy, BTW) draft up a letter to send to the guy. From what I understand, when the "garage" owner was reading it...the color went out of his face. He'd been caught, since according to PA law, the car shouldn't have passed its safety inspection. Yet it had a new sticker on the windshield...

I used that to my advantage. Simply put, I threatened to turn his ass in if he didn't fix the damage--at his cost. Not only did he have to fix the hood damage, but the scratch on the door...and bolt the seats in properly. Yeah, I know...but installing MGB seats is a pain in the ass. Trust me.

If you do go ahead with this route, be polite but firm in any letter. Even threats have to be carefully worded. No talk of firebombing the place But seriously, I'd at least start on it. Who knows, you could get that $400 back.
              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Well I had already wound up paying the guy. This is a small community and the guy came VERY highly recommended to me or I would never have called him in the first place.

I'm willing to believe that he genuinely thought it was the thermostat, and in good faith put in a new one thinking it'd fix the problem. I suppose its no different than going to the doctor. You pay the doc whether or not the medication fixes you.

Although it still would have been wonderful customer service if he'd say "Sorry I couldnt fix it. I'll take money for the parts and the first two hours diagnosing it. Won't charge you for the other labor."

Hopefully it's not something major. Another mechanic with a real garage and real tools said he's pretty sure he knows whats wrong with it and can get me back on the road. Now there's just the matter of hoping work can tolerate the fact that I have to leave "early" for another week or so (early as in, my work is all done, but not the rest of the factory).

Comment

Working...
                X