Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Working for the Postal Service sucks. . .

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a little postscript about my short time with the Postal Service.

They are trying to cheat me out of my last paycheck.

I worked for 5 days of in-classroom training from a Monday to a Friday, with about 31 hours on the clock for that.

The week after that, I spent 4 hours on-the-clock being trained to drive one of those little postal trucks.

The day after that I went to the post office I was supposed to work at and did 3 days of field training, for about 25 hours on-the-clock.

My last training day was a Tuesday. I quit when I went in Wednesday morning. Payday was on Friday. I walked in on Friday and got a paycheck for 30.75 hours of work, which was clearly my paycheck for my first week working there, my time in the actual classroom. I was told to come back 2 weeks later for my paycheck for the other time I was with them.

That 2 weeks later was last Friday. I go in, they don't have a paycheck for me. The clerk at the counter asks for my contact information so they can give it to a supervisor. I leave my name and phone number, I don't hear anything.

I go in on Monday morning since I didn't hear back. The manager refuses to come out and talk with me, or have me into her office to speak with me, and just relays via the clerk that I've been paid for all my work and I won't get any more paychecks. It includes a quote that my check should include all work up to the 24th, so it would clearly have all my worked hours on it.

I worked on the 25th for 8 hours, and resigned on the morning of the 26th, so that was a lie.

Now I'm trying to get my paycheck for the last 29 work hours or so from the postal service. I'm going in with a letter to the manager laying all this out, and including a photocopy of my pay stub showing how many hours I was paid for, and thus how many I haven't been paid for.

It's a $400 check, roughly, so I'm pestering them about it, but they seem to have the attitude of "You quit, so tough luck."

Comment

You worked those hours, you have to be paid, no employer can unilateral change that law.
      Google: last paycheck <your state>
      That should give you enough amunition to light some fire under their <expletive deleted> behinds.
      No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

I think I realized why they are stonewalling me on this issue.

I think it's a matter of whose budget it comes out of. I think the classroom training time comes out of a different budget than my field training at the post office, under the manager who is stonewalling me. The paycheck I got way for my classroom time.

She doesn't want to pay me the money for the time I worked, but wouldn't have a problem putting in the hours I worked that don't come out of her budget.

Comment

I believe the Fair Labor Act applies to the Post Office as well. You are to be paid for all hours worked in a timely manner. Go to your local Labor Board for help.

Comment

A conclusion to that little saga:

On Friday I went to the Post Office. I was ready to put up a fight. I had a letter printed out with my complaints clearly listed, spelling out my grievance, including a copy of my other pay stub. Since the last two times I'd gone there I'd been told they had nothing and I had been paid all I was going to get paid, I was ready to walk in, present a letter explaining my grievances, and if I didn't get resolution, go to the Labor Board (and see if the letter carriers union could help as well, it is a unionized position, albeit one with a rather weak union).

I walk in to the Post Office. The clerk behind the window recognizes me and asks if I ever got my last paycheck. I say that's what I'm there for, and I have a letter with my complaint elaborated. Well, the clerk goes and gets a manager.

A manager shows up about 5 minutes later, check & pay stub in hand, with a scowl on his face. It's clear he's not happy about giving it to me. He hands it off and leaves, the clerk tells me he is NOT surprised at the difficulty I had with my last paycheck, I would have chatted more, but there was a line behind me, so I went on.

There, it's settled, I had to gripe a few times, but I got my last paycheck from the USPS.

Comment

Quoth silverstaff View Post
              There, it's settled, I had to gripe a few times, but I got my last paycheck from the USPS.
              That's good to hear! Sorry they made it so ridiculously difficult, but at least you got what you worked for.
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Agreed, it shouldn't have been a fight but I'm glad you got your due.

I would still send that complaint letter in, stating the extreme lengths you had to go to in receiving that check. And that this is not only illegal but a good way to get bad press...

Comment

You may still have legit cause for a grievance -- 72 hours from either your last day is the normal limit for when they can give you your last paycheck once you've requested it.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                  X