Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I ran out into the street in front of a car. I was in kindergarten. Evidently I was very close to getting hit.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

At three, I wandered away from my family while in a Hong Kong airport.

At twelve, I also explored the fire escape of my condo complex.

At thirteen (almost fourteen), I followed a man to the stairs of the passenger pick-up area where he proceeded to sexually assault me. Luckily, he didn't touch me, but he was almost in a position to grind me with his penis.

At fifteen, I got lost at summer camp when playing Capture the Flag. Someone spotted me and led me back to the mess hall where everyone was waiting. So I didn't scare my parents, but I did scare an entire camp full of kids and counselors!

At sixteen, I wandered far from my group trying to find the area that hosted the outdoor stage adaptation of Twelfth Night.

And recently, I scared my friends when I went to throw away something at the CNE without telling them, and then couldn't find them when I went back. Good thing I had another friend who stayed with me, or I would have scared myself!

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.
      Last edited by cindybubbles; 09-08-2015, 03:11 AM.
      cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Three months ago, when my fiancé had to call my Dad and Stepmom to tell them I'd been hit by a car. The day before our wedding.

Comment

Frequently! Sometimes intentional, sometimes not.

Of course the truly sad (or funny, depending on your perspective) part about it is my intentional attempts hardly ever work while my my unintentional ones (I'm a pretty quiet person) almost always work.
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

When I was three and while sleepwalking was found on the swing at the AFB playground.

When I was 8 and had to be rushed to the ER due to a bee sting allergy

When I was 28 and almost died while I was in labor

Comment

* When I was a toddler, I decided to go and visit my Nan. My mother was pregnant with my brother, and couldn't run, couldn't walk as fast as I could.
              I was happily toddling down a winding mountain road, where drivers would often be completely unable to see me as they came around corners. Mum was afraid that if she called me, she might cause me to run out into the middle of the road instead of the side!

* About age 14, I stepped on a snake. Now remember, this is AUSTRALIA, and noone got a good enough look at the snake to tell which sort it was. I never saw it at all.
              Dad snatched at me and yanked me backwards off the snake. Mum and Auntie Carol screamed. My brother froze. The snake went thataway at great speed!
              (We were bushwalking in a national forest, on a trail.)

* At the same age, I wanted to look down from the picnic area we were at. So I sat on the stone railing that demarked the cutaway that had been made for the road. (This was in an artificial mountain pass.)
              Another time that Dad wrapped an arm around me and pulled me backwards. Then he explained just how bad it would have been if I'd fallen. Which simply hadn't occurred to me!

* Still on the same trip; we went to Hanging Rock. Why you'd take a kid who loves to explore, to a place which is basically pumice stone with giant cave-size bubbles .....
              Well of COURSE I started exploring. It was a fascinating place! Fortunately, I was called back before I poked around the caves.

* My brother's wedding day. I'm the last one in the bathroom. Dad calls to tell me everyone else is ready. I turn my head to yell back at him - and crack my nose against the shaving cabinet. So hard that they hear it out the front. Dad comes RUNNING in, sees me bent over, holding my nose with both hands, crying in pain. I slowly remove my hands from my nose .... and it's perfectly fine. Except that my mascara (freshly applied) is running. Oh well. I fix THAT at the church. It's not like I'm the bride this time (just the groom's sister).
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Wowwww. I guess I'm not the only one to freak my parents out then. I feel a little less guilty now.
                I forgot to tell you 2 more times: when I had my car accident at 25, was an inch of being severely injured. First thing I did was call my mom, which in retrospect was bad, since she started crying. :/
                My sis at 12 tripped and fell THRU a window, and emerged on the other side looking like she'd just been attacked by a serial killer. She went to our parents gushing blood, and mom started freaking and dad just went to call an ambulance. She still has scars.
                I guess bro didn't freak out my parents as much, no wonder he was their favorite.
                Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

How about one time I didn't scare my parents? I collected a pretty little snake ... with red, yellow and black stripes instead of red, black and yellow stripes. Yup, I collected a baby coral snake down in florida at the age of 8. By this time I had been collecting common snakes for about 3 years, and knew how to secure them properly, and it was in a collecting jar, and had been intending on giving it to a zoo that was asking for local snakes ... *snicker* the herpetologist was the one that was terrified when mom and I walked in and told them I had a coral snake for them =)
                  EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

The Sears portrait studio used to make these little pendants with your pictures in them. For some reason, my parents let little baby Strawbabies hold one because it was a picture of myself. Parents looked away from me for a few seconds, and when they looked back, it was missing. Cue parents panicking that their baby had swallowed it. As Mom was trying to put my shoes on so they could rush me to the ER, she found it--shoved into my sock.

When I was 8, we were on vacation in Hawaii, and the hotel had a pool. Why my parents let us in the pool when we hadn't yet taken any swimming lessons, I don't know. I tried to doggie paddle over to where the number 5 was painted on the side, not realizing that was the depth in feet. (As an adult, I'm not even that tall.) Luckily, I was close to the wall, so when I went under, Mom was able to reach down and pull me out.

My sister and I were exploring an old cemetery in Virginia City, NV, and lost track of time. I think I was 19 and she was 17. Our dad was in the car waiting for us. When we made it back, he chewed us out about how he was about to go and report us missing to the police. Dad overreacts sometimes.

Comment

The question in my case is not whether or not I scared my mother, or even how often. The question is how I never gave her a fatal heart attack with some of the nonsense I put her through.

My love of bicycles combined with my sense of daredevilry with the added bonus of not having nearly as much talent as I had daring caused many, many incidents of "What the hell did he do this time?!?" My peak performance came when I was 16 and I managed to shatter my jaw after unintentionally using just chin as a brake off of my worst bike crash. I still have a faint scar on my chin to show for that one. And that was the second time in two weeks I ended up in the local hospital for a bicycle related reason, though of course the other one was not nearly as severe.

In a weird twist of fate, two of my four broken bones were as a result of bicycles, although only the jaw was came from me actually bicycling. My broken middle finger when I was 10 came as I was playing catch with my friend and his father, and I didn't see the bicycle in the middle of the sidewalk, and managed to trip over it and flip on to my unfortunate digit. The only time I can think of that I ever crashed into a bike when I wasn't actually on a bike.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                      Still A Customer."

Comment

When I was 3 and decided to open the door of dads truck (freight truck not pick up) while doing 100km/h on a mountain road. Considering the truck didn't have seat belts I got moved to the sleeper for trips for a while.

When I was 19ish and decided to go visit my cousin who lived out of cellphone range for 4 days. Probably should have told someone I wouldn't be contactable.

Last year when my partner text my mum to say I was having an emergency operation for a ruptured ectopic. Don't feel that one was my fault.

Comment

Working...
                        X