This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotel Puzzle

I was recently sent to Glocester, VA, by the bank. What puzzled me was the hotel rates.

In Glocester, there are two hotels. The cheaper one was $109/night. In Williamsburg, a 30 minute drive to the south, I was able to find a nice hotel for $66/night. The hotel in Williamsburg was across the street from Water Country USA and 2 miles from Busch Gardens. Of course, it's not too far from historic Williamsburg, Jamestown, or Yorktown. I have no idea what is interesting in Glocester.

Can anyone explain this to me? This was for a Monday night.
    This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

It could depend on the amenities between the two hotels. There may also be some sort of event going on in the area that is filling up rooms as well.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I agree on the amenities thing. Usually hotels that offer more perks charge higher rates. Also, like another person said, could be a major event nearby. The closer a hotel is to full, the higher the rates will be (rules of supply and demand). It's also labor day weekend here in the states. That tends to cause a lot of people to decide to take a weekend staycation or vacation, but I dunno why they'd choose that area.
      "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Both hotels are middle quality hotels. The hotel in Williamsburg had recent renovations. Neither are posh, but neither are fleabags either.
        This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

As was mentioned earlier, hotel prices vary with demand. Williamsburg sounds like a lot of its business is from tourism, and there's quite a large population close enough to drive there for the weekend, but not close enough to be a day trip. This would result in the hotels having higher occupancy on weekends than on weeknights.

Glocester might get more business travelers, and people traveling on business tend to arrive at the beginning of the week and leave at the end, so hotels would have higher occupancy on weeknights than on weekends.

You said you were staying for a Monday night - this would be a peak night for business-oriented hotels and an off-peak night for tourist-oriented hotels.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Also people going to William and Mary.
            AkaiKitsune
            Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

A good friend of mine lives in Gloucester, and I found it very much "out in the middle of nowhere", but Williamsburg was a history buff's heaven. One of these days, I want to drive back up there and visit both Williamsburg and Richmond.

Comment

Working...
              X