X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hairdo Advice?

Hi everyone.

As most of you know, we recently moved (west Denver yea!). As a result, I now have to be out the door at 5:30 on weekdays (and 5:15 on weekends) to catch the train. So I shower at night and need to figure out something to do with my hair.

Does anyone have any 5 minute hairdo ideas? I work the front desk at a hotel and it's vital I look neat (no messy styles). My hair is a few inches below my shoulders, light brown, and naturally curly. I will turn into a nicely-shaped crown of ringlets, but ONLY if I let it dry completely naturally without touching it or moving around much (no drying on the way to work in the wind). Otherwise it's this weird combination of waves and "did you wake up like that?"

I can straighten or curl the night before, but I need something quick to finish up in the morning. Halp?
    Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 09-12-2015, 07:16 PM.
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Headbands are my go to for finishing off a hairstyle, especially in the morning when I'm too tired to really fuss with much. I'll dry it the night before and straighten it or let it dry in natural curls, and then in the morning I run my fingers through my hair and put a headband in to help keep my hair off my face. Unless I wake up and my hair doesn't look too bad because then I'll just leave it alone.

Comment

I'd go with headband and/or tying your hair in a ponytail for a quick fix.

Also, if you don't mind looking like Elsa from "Frozen", braiding two rattails and THEN tying them together at the back shouldn't take long.

How long a commute do you have? Would it be possible for you to do your hair while on the train?
      A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

I wear mine in a ponytail every day. I'm so used to it that I don't even think about it anymore. When it's hot I use a claw-type hairclip to keep it off my neck.

This type of thing:

Click image for larger version

Name:	clip.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	2030589

These work great to get your hair under control and they come in different sizes for different types of hair.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I have waist-length naturally curly hair. I put it in bun held with a stick when I'm lazy and it looks nice and professional and keeps my hair out of the way. You could let it air-dry on the way to work and put it up in less than a minute when you get there. I use chopsticks! I got a pair for $2 at World Market. Here are some instructional vids on a couple of diff buns I do:

--https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fzn4gNWIVQ
          --https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5gTy1gCyqE
          --https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez2luyA-eD8

If I have time at night I set it on curlers. I either wash it or spray with water first. If I wash it I blowdry a bit to get excess moisture out. I use sponge curlers, but have thrown out the plastic bits and have put each sponge inside a knee-high stocking. I roll up and tie once and they stay with a hair net on. I tend to put them on the sides of my head since I sleep on my back. I often do my bangs in pin curls. That set will last a couple of days if I don't get it wet. It takes me less than 10 minutes to take the curlers out and brush through. I do vintage styles, BTW.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

As a fellow curly girl, gel is my friend. A good one will tame most frizz and leave you with a bun like mine. I wet it, gel it, and smooth it with a bristle brush. It makes me look a bit severe but it's better than the alternative (looking like a wild child).
            Can't reason with the unreasonable.
            The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

I second the bristle brush. I use oil with mine, though.

Comment

Quoth NorthernZel View Post

How long a commute do you have? Would it be possible for you to do your hair while on the train?
                I love the Elsa look, that's a great idea, especially with clear hairbands. I could do hair on the train, my commute is about an hour (that's two trains and a bus, but I spend 20 minutes of it on one of the trains). My hair is cut in a face frame, so the front side bits tend to fall out of a regular braid, but two smaller braids should be tight enough to keep everything in, and if they aren't, there's always bobby pins. Thanks for the idea!
                "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

I love twin braids. I haven't done them in a while. I always get funny comments, which I love. There are references to Swiss Miss or Dorothy. I think I'll do them at work tonight; I'm in food, so it has to be restrained anyway. And I think retro style with a big bang curl and flower might be cute. Thank you for the idea!

Comment

I am boring when it comes to my hair at work.

Reception - pony tail twisted into a bun. Fringe either pined back or if I feel fancy I will use my straighters to make it wave to the side. Lots of hair spray and some Bobby pins.

Night audit - pony tail that I then use a claw clip on. Quick spray of hair spray and maybe a Bobby pin if my fringe won't stay put.

I miss being able to braid my hair but since I injured my wrist (in 2012) even just straighting it cause me pain. I have hot rollers that I used when my hair was around shoulder length but I find my hair to long for them now.

Comment

I like to do my hair in a Gibson Girl style complete with a fascinator of whatever colour I'm wearing that day. Of course, that means my makeup must be en pointe too.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                        I have waist-length naturally curly hair. I put it in bun held with a stick when I'm lazy and it looks nice and professional and keeps my hair out of the way. You could let it air-dry on the way to work and put it up in less than a minute when you get there. I use chopsticks! I got a pair for $2 at World Market. Here are some instructional vids on a couple of diff buns I do:

--https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fzn4gNWIVQ
                        --https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5gTy1gCyqE
                        --https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez2luyA-eD8

If I have time at night I set it on curlers. I either wash it or spray with water first. If I wash it I blowdry a bit to get excess moisture out. I use sponge curlers, but have thrown out the plastic bits and have put each sponge inside a knee-high stocking. I roll up and tie once and they stay with a hair net on. I tend to put them on the sides of my head since I sleep on my back. I often do my bangs in pin curls. That set will last a couple of days if I don't get it wet. It takes me less than 10 minutes to take the curlers out and brush through. I do vintage styles, BTW.
                        LOVE the bun ideas. Sadly, curlers are a no-go for me. My hair wants to curl so badly just by virture of existing, if I give it any more help, it will turn into a knotted, ratty puffball worthy of Diana Ross' heyday (only not as classy).
                        Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 09-18-2015, 03:15 AM.

Comment

I've been doing the L-infinity bun with marcel waves in front consistently. I sometimes sleep in the wave clips but it's easier to spray with non-aerosol hairspray and then put them in for a while until it dries. Finger/marcel waves are great with natural curls.

I like this for instruction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gUt1vYaj38 Notice the bonus kitteh in the background. squee!
                          I just don't always set the back of my head, preferring to braid that portion before bed so it doesn't tangle. I braid every night that I don't set on curlers, actually.

Here is a finger wave set that came out very well:
                          http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/t...37489421.2.jpg

Here is what happens when I use 3/4 magnetic curlers on my front layers: No puffball if you use curlers big enough. This day I just put the back in a hair net. But if you curl the whole head and do a good brush-out, it won't be puffball, I promise.
                          Last edited by Food Lady; 09-18-2015, 05:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X