Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cross that one off the bucket list, I guess...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cross that one off the bucket list, I guess...

The obliviousness of some people will forever astound me. I went to go for my walk today and didn’t even make it out of my cul-de-sac. Why? Because the lady who lives at the end of the block was having some kind of business meeting. There were a shit-ton of cars everywhere, including one that was parked right in the middle of the frelling sidewalk.

Now, normally I could just go around such things. The way this car was parked, though, that would’ve meant one of two options: Go into the road or into the neighbor’s flowers. Neither of which I wanted to do because A) the driveways around here are steep on the bottom and B) it’s not the neighbor’s fault that her colleagues can’t park for shit.

So what did I do besides turn around and come back home? I borrowed a piece of paper and a marker from the guy next door to leave a note on the offending car. I’ve always wanted to do that, tbh, because people’s stupid parking habits and leaving their shit in the middle of the sidewalk are something I deal with all the time. I’ve never had the chance to do it until now, though.
    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Good! People should know when they are being entitlement whores! Around here people get towed for blocking the sidewalk like that (but you can have guests block your own driveway by parking parallel with the street), so that might have been another option.

Comment

One option for athletic types (since OP had issues with steep driveways, this would not be an option for them) would be to continue along the sidewalk. Gee, I wonder why the city built a sheet metal lump into the sidewalk. Helps if you have some gravel stuck in the treads of your shoes.

Where are the neighbourhood kids on their BMX bikes doing their own version of the "alley cat scramble" when you need them?
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
        One option for athletic types (since OP had issues with steep driveways, this would not be an option for them) would be to continue along the sidewalk.
        I normally would, like I said. However, this lady's car was parked right where the sidewalk and the edge of the driveway meet. There was not enough pavement for my wheelchair to fit on without off-roading right into the neighbor's lawn, scratching/denting the car, or both. (See the picture I drew for reference)
        Attached Files
        Last edited by firecat88; 09-18-2015, 08:51 PM.
        "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Ahh, those really big sheet metal speedbumps. Reminds me of my college days. On bar nights, especially on the way back home, woe unto the person who blocked the crosswalk. I've gone dukes of hazzard across the hood, up over the roof, even opened the back doors and gone through the car before. Not especially nice of me, but Appleton usually had such nice drivers, people rarely blocked a crosswalk that had an active walk signal.

Comment

I know this would be not be for everyone, and perhaps not for the OP (and might not have been possible if the OP could not get past their own driveway), but in a situation like this, I would have knocked on the neighbor's door and let her know that one of her business colleagues and parked like a monkey on crack, and ask her if she could have them move their car. If she is as cool as the OP indicated, she would have been mortified that one of her guests did something like that, and would have made sure it was corrected ASAP.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
              I know this would be not be for everyone, and perhaps not for the OP (and might not have been possible if the OP could not get past their own driveway), but in a situation like this, I would have knocked on the neighbor's door and let her know that one of her business colleagues and parked like a monkey on crack, and ask her if she could have them move their car. If she is as cool as the OP indicated, she would have been mortified that one of her guests did something like that, and would have made sure it was corrected ASAP.
              Reasonable reaction. I know I would have been mortified at a guest parking like that. I know that we have parking issues at the farm occasionally [we do have a second drive that leads to our pasture but it can be tricky to use] so if we are expecting guests, we move both our cars down into the field.

Which reminds me, we had a tree come down over the lower drive and we need to chainsaw it into bits soon, we are using the field for parking when the demo crew comes to remove the rubble. A 30 yard C&D dumpster is pretty large and will fill the front yard [we already rented one a couple summers ago to do some major tree clearing.] so parking will be a bit crunched.
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
              X