Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nesting can manifest in the strangest ways (longish)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nesting can manifest in the strangest ways (longish)

Also, the last month to month and a half of pregnancy take for-freaking-ever.

So our first little Minion is due the second week of November. Since Mr Jedi and I have been married for quite some time without kids, stuff has accumulated and we're having to rearrange our entire house to make room. There's one major project that's holding up the works and I've been on Mr Jedi for months to finish it. In the closet in what will be the nursery is the entrance to our attic. Well, it's more of a crawl space above the house. Over the last few years Mr Jedi has done some work to it so we could actually use it. The last thing he wanted to do was get one of those pull down ladder frame things to make it look pretty. Except when he widened the entrance, he made it too big. Which we didn't realize when we bought the frame. Also, the ladder part was too long for the closet. So he trimmed that down, but now the stuff that was in the closet won't fit back in there and leave room to use the ladder. And we're not sure if the storage totes we're using will fit through the new entrance.

The frame went in several weeks ago which still left patching the remainder of the old hole with dry wall. Which we have, he just keeps putting it off. I'd do it myself, but I don't really know how and I shouldn't be up on a ladder with my balance being so wonky right now. But this is literally all that stands between me and being able to get the rest of the room ready and I'm getting antsy. Heck, I've been antsy about it for weeks now. Technically Minion could decide to arrive any day now and I've threatened to put the kid in a bouncer on Mr Jedi's side of the bed (since our master bedroom is really too small to have a bassinet or co-sleeper thing). He's annoyed at my "nagging" and I'm annoyed I'm stuck without him finishing this project. All the stuff that was in the closet is in the middle of the room and we don't have a place to stash it in the meantime. The bird has also been residing in that room, so he needs to move to the other bedroom (which is our junk room right now so you can imagine what it looks like). I can't move the cage on my own and all the stuff from the closet is in my way anyhow. I need to paint and deep clean the carpets. Put the crib together. Organize things. Mommy Brain is going crazy.

Baby stuff is piling up in our guest bathroom because we literally have nowhere else to put it until it goes into its proper place. So the other day the Mommy Brain took over and I spent an evening putting together the swing and the bouncer. They take up less space out of the box and assembled. I also made my own car seat drape. BFF has started wrapping gifts with fabric and she gave me enough to make the car seat drape and maybe enough left over for a bowtie. Because bowties are awesome. Then the Mommy Brain says to wash all the baby clothes. Y'all, I HATE laundry. So much. My family thinks it's hilarious that I'm going with cloth diapers instead of disposables because, hey, we'll save money in the long run by not having to buy a case every week or so. But that means more laundry. Anyway, back to the baby clothes. We've gotten clothes from friends, showers, and yard sales. My one friend sold us a huge moving box full of clothes. My mom bought clothes to keep at her house. This kid has more clothes than Mr Jedi and I combined. I'm gonna have to cull yet again because I'm not sure all the clothes will fit in Minion's dresser. Or I need another Target run for more storage baskets. I love Target. Target is awesome.

Who else has funny nesting stories? Your own or someone else's. I need to not feel like I'm completely losing my mind here.
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

When I was nesting badly I rearranged the furniture in the entire house And it took nearly a month because I don't have a lot of upper body strength. So I was scooting one end an inch, walk over and scoot the other end, etc.

One thing that I found to help with the ton of baby clothes - I sort them into sizes and store them that way.
    https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

My partner keep asking when the nesting will kick in. I don't think he realises it will cause him more annoyance than enjoyment.

I second the recommendation of storing by size.

My mum enjoyed the washing and putting away of baby clothes (she is weird though).

Most my friends who are nesting seem to decide their bathroom needs a deep clean NOW.

Comment

Back when my store manager was pregnant with her first kid towards the end she brought her nesting to work. Every day she'd either be cleaning or straightening something or putting stuff on our daily task list. She pretty much went down to the last minute, too. I don't remember being the same way with the second one though.
        I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Sad thing is all the clothes are already (mostly) sorted by size. I just have a crap ton of newborn and 0-3 month stuff. Heck, there's a whole 'nother box buried somewhere in my guest bathroom with more clothes. Some of them will have to be my diaper bag stash because the dresser is hereby full.

Also, WTF am I supposed to do with all these blankets? It seems like everybody got me a blanket.
          I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Trust me, you'll use them.

Between one for the crib, one for the car seat, one for the diaper bag, and backups in case they get spit-up, pee or poop on them. Or all 3 if you're lucky.
            https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
              Trust me, you'll use them.

Between one for the crib, one for the car seat, one for the diaper bag, and backups in case when they get spit-up, pee or poop on them. Or all 3 if you're lucky.
              Fixed that for you.
              You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Also, WTF am I supposed to do with all these blankets? It seems like everybody got me a blanket.
                Make a blanket fort?
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I never really wanted to 'nest'. With both our kids they didn't have a proper nursery, just a space for the crib and dresser in the computer/book room. With the first I liked having the baby things but wasn't all about decorating and making everything perfect. The second was 8 weeks early so we didn't have the pack and play set up for him or anything.

Cloth diapers aren't bad (though when they start solids you might want to invest in a water sprayer to clean them off in the toilet before you toss them in the washer). It worked out to about 1 load every couple days, and only because I didn't want them to smell too bad.

PS- you do actually end up using lots of blankets. Babies puke a lot so you will probably rarely a blanket more than once before it needs to be washed. They're usually too small for blanket forts but you can pile them up inside the blanket fort to keep it cozy. Protip.
                  https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                    Make a blanket fort?
                    There you go! Introduce the baby early to the joys of the blanket fort! But seriously, you will use them. Wrap the baby in layers when it's cold so you can remove or add layers if needed, spread the blankets on the floor for the baby to crawl on, burp cloths, etc.

My nesting experience, well, we had bought a house the year previously, was nearly finished fixing it up (all we needed was the kitchen remodeled), so I happily spent my pregnancy putting together furniture for the baby's room and decorating everything in blue. Really, it was actually quite enjoyable, I think my second trimester was the best time of my life. I felt the best I've ever felt, happier than a bird in flight and just got so much done. Then came the third trimester and yes, things really started to drag, so I do sympathize with you.

I also hope Mr. Jedi can get that room finished before the baby arrives. Perhaps he could enlist help from his friends or relatives, or call a handyman if he's not sure how to proceed?
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Progress has been made. I can at least start painting this week. Yay!

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
                        Progress has been made. I can at least start painting this week. Yay!
                        Right on! Glad to hear it. Fingers crossed that you get everything done before the little one arrives.
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Congrats, by the way!

I don't think I really had a chance to nest with my first, since I was working in retail up until a month before her duedate. I did push to redo my computer desk, and make sure the apartment was ready for her arrival. And check again. And again. And a few more times since she came two weeks late.

With the other two, I just tend to get to a point where I push to get my own projects done. We also didn't have a separate nursery for the baby, so I just had one little corner to get ready.
                          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                          - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Painting is done! Woo! I'm actually really impressed with the paint I got. The yellow needed the standard two coats and some touch ups. But the blue only needed one coat and even fewer touch ups. Way to go Glidden paint and primer in one! Now I'm gonna go put my feet up and direct Mr Jedi in moving the furniture around for the carpet cleaning.

Comment

Working...
                            X