This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great way to move the clearance items

Was shopping at Real Canadian Superstore, and saw something odd with the V.H. Steamers (brand of frozen meal). Bit of a background: RCS uses preprinted shelf tags for sale items, with a red "X" over the space for the regular price. Frequently, on clearance items that field is left blank, with "D.N.O." printed nearby.

These items are regular $3.98. There's a sale on, and they're marked down to $2.98. Two flavours have "D.N.O." tags, with the regular price field blank, and the sale price $6.04. That's right - the flavours on clearance were marked UP by a more than 50%. I pointed this out to one of the stockers, he took the tag (presumably to bring it to management's attention and get it corrected) and said it was probably a head office mistake.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

I'll notice these goofs on occasion with our closeout tags when I'm wandering by the Clearance Rack to see what the Ass Man has put out there.

Sometimes the closeout price will be the same as the regular shelf price. And this was brought up recently during an area meeting of Ass Managers and DSD receivers. For example one store had a bunch of air fresheners on closeout . . . regular price was, say $4.00 but the closeout tags showed a price of $4.00. And there was simply no way they could clear those out in a timely manner, even worse when they had a ton of these to move.

It was decided in that case, the store could have some leeway and use the handheld to manually reduce the price using the zebra printer labels.

Which is a good thing . . . every month we get a bunch of crap piled up due to the reset team coming in and resetting several sections of the store. We simply don't have the space to hold this stuff in the back for long and we go through another visit from this group every four weeks, so the clearance rack has to be maintained and filled regularly.
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I found some major misprinted tags this week in the batch that is shipped in from head office. Rather than "$2.19 save 30c" the tag read "30c save $2.19". This was a national brand that is never on sale for less than $2 or so. People probably thought it was a clearance tag and threw a fit when they got to checkout and it scanned at $2.19.

I think my company should dispense with the "Discontinued" sale tags entirely and just move all of such items to the table and tag them accordingly...would certainly cut down on someone finding a jumbo can of ravioli on the shelf and thinking it's fifty cents because of a tag that someone didn't take down when we sold out.

I hate resets. For some reason if an item is moved six inches on the same shelf it needs a New Item tag (even if it's something we've carried for two years).
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I was shopping for some OTC meds the other day and noticed that the 300 ct. bottle of ibuprofen was on sale for $6.99, which is a really good deal.

The 100 ct. bottle next to it, normal price $3.99, was 'on sale' for $30.97. By Grabthar's hammer, what a savings! I did check the tag and it was the right tag for the product, too. Then I pointed it out to the pharmacy tech who promised to look into it.

Comment

Was at Walmart once, picking up some things including deorderant. The brand I get, W usually has individually and a 2 pack shrink wrap version. I usually get the 2-pack, but the prices caught my eye.

The individual sticks were something like 2.47$ each. (with what looked like "everyday regular price" pricing stickers.
          The 2-pack was 5.97$ for the two.
          So an extra ~1$ just for annoying hard to remove plastic wrapper that holds the pair together.

I picked up 2 singles of course and they were at that cheap price.

Next time I was shopping for that, the prices were more what you would expect; 3.47$ for the singles, or the two pack for 5.97$.

Comment

I've actually encountered the occasional item at Voldemart (among other places, but mainly there) where a larger/economy size of certain items actually costs MORE per ounce/serving/etc than the smaller packages, even when neither of them were on special.

On another note -- Back at BoutiqueGrocery we sometimes had items with a huge SPECIAL sign on them that had not been discounted in the slightest. When I asked manglement about this, their reply was often "Well, yeah. It's on special...Not on sale." -- A close second was "Don't worry about it" (trans.: "Shut up and go back to work.")
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

One supermarket around here occasionally puts half-gallons of milk on sale for 99 cents while leaving full gallons at $2+.

Comment

Quoth Argus View Post
                One supermarket around here occasionally puts half-gallons of milk on sale for 99 cents while leaving full gallons at $2+.
                Saw that recently at Superstore. 1L ChocoMilks for 1.99 (sale price), 2L for 4.39$ (reg price). I still get the 2L jugs since they're easier for me to haul around and last a bit longer for me than 2 1L's would. (I go through Choco milk fast enough that expiry dates are rarely an issue. )

Comment

Quoth Argus View Post
                  That usually has to do with the expiry on the smaller size being only a day away. That's how I get some of my best deals.

Comment

Working...
                  X