This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cops, The Abuser, and The Baseball Bat

I work at several vet clinics. This happened at the smallest clinic a few months back.

Earlier in the day, a new client(NC) called saying her cat(NCC) was not eating or drinking, was vomiting frequently, and was lethargic. We had one last opening available at 7:30pm but this sounded like an emergency situation so the receptionist(R) asked one of the doctors(DL) if we could fit them in. DL told R to have them come in now.

NC came in and DL examined NCC and discovered NCC was moderately dehydrated and painful around the abdomen and recommended blood work to check for infection or health complications(cats can get something called fatty liver disease if they don't eat for longer than 24 hours which can lead to pancreatitis) and x-rays to check for an intestinal blockage. NC was shown the price list, agreed, and signed the document stating that she understands and accepts the charges.

The blood work showed that NCC had fatty liver disease from not eating and several other values were all over the place. The x-rays showed a partial blockage in NCC's small intestine. DL made up an estimate for the surgery to remove the blockage, medications, aftercare, etc. NC said she was not sure she would be able to afford it and asked about euthanasia. DL gave NCC the price for a euthanasia as well as an amended quote for the blockage where DL removed some recommended but not necessary things and discounted a few surgical items (I.V. fluids, anesthesia) to help NC out because DL didn't want to see NC lose her cat due to money issues. NC looked over the quotes and asked if she could leave to try to get some money together and come back later with a decision. DL told NC to take all the time she needs and assured her that NCC will be well cared for in the meantime. Myself and a technician(TK) took NCC in back and put NCC on I.V. fluids and medication to help with the vomiting.

A half hour before closing time, NC calls. She said she can't get the money together and wants to come pick up NCC and take NCC home. R passed the phone off to DL. DL asked NC if she was planning on taking NCC to a different clinic. NC said no, she was planning on waiting to see if NCC recovers on his own. DL tried to urge NC to either get NCC treatment or go through with the euthanasia because NCC will be in a lot of pain. NCC was adamant; no treatment, no euthanasia. DL asses the phone to the manager(M) who was going to go over the documents NC would have to sign and the charges for the fluids and medications we gave while NCC was here. During the whole call, there was a man in the background mumbling things we couldn't understand. Then, he got clearer.

He was telling NC to "make sure those assholes don't scam you" and telling her "they're so full of shit, NCC will be fine." As M talked, the man got louder. He started saying, "I'll go get NCC and I'll bring my baseball bat with me; If they don't give me your money back, I'll break their knees." M was shocked.
    M: NC, you can come get NCC that the man in the background can't come.
    NC: He is her boyfriend and my ride so he had to come.
    M: If he comes, the cops will be waiting and he will not be allowed in the building. He is making threats toward my doctors and my technicians and I refuse to put my staff at risk.
    NC's boyfriend: I will go where I want and she can't stop me!
    M: NC, tell your boyfriend if he tries to enter the building, I will have him arrested.
    NC's boyfriend shut up and NC agreed to come get her cat and leave her boyfriend in the car.

When NC arrived, the cops were there and they passed NCC over to her. DL tried once more to convince NC to get NCC treatment and added that if her boyfriend was not letting her get NCC help, we could set something up to help her get the treatment.

NC left with NCC, the cops followed them home to make sure NC's boyfriend didn't try to attack the staff as we left for the day, and even stayed until we closed up and left and followed us partway home. I sincerely hope NC did get NCC help but we haven't heard anything since.

What a mess. Some people are not fit for society.

Comment

I feel so sorry for that poor cat.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I couldn't finish reading that. I understand her money problems all too well, but to just hope that the problem goes away is not the right thing to do. Bast bless the poor kitty!
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

A pet denied care and left to die painfully as this woman watches, a woman in an abusive and controlling relationship...

Like to see his ass recover without medical help from what that cat has.... -_-
          I am a Blank Space for spacing purposes, ignore me.
          In order to treat someone as your equal, you first need to believe both: that they are your equal, and that you are their's.

Comment

This is just sad...

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
              This is just sad...
              Yes it is. Poor, poor kitty
              Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Our oldest cat stopped eating one day. After a couple of days we took her to the vet who put her on an iv right away. After a few more days of her not eating we had to take her to the university hospital. In the end they decided it was just stress and they gave us some medicine to stimulate her appetite.

Later that year one of our cats was always running fever and having trouble breathing. Our vet told us he had fluid buildup in his chest. Back to the university. They drained what they could but they was fibrous tissue blocking some of it. I took him to our vet every other day to be drained but we had to decide to put him down. Our vet is great and they did not charge us for the draining or the euthanasia.
                We spent over 2500 dollars on them in just a few months.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                  I feel so sorry for that poor cat.
                  It takes alot to bring me close to tears, but reading the OP's story did just that.

I wish I could hug that kitty and get it the care that it needs.
                  If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

I'm heartbroken for that poor neglected kitty. It's a shame that the vet can't just keep the kitty and refuse to let him go to a home where he's going to suffer and die, abused and neglected. iI that were a child, you better believe the ER would hang onto him, and call all of the relevant agencies! But a pet is just property.

For the record, my 'property' rules my life with an iron paw.

Comment

This is so awful I wish I could do something.

*big hugs to that woman and her cat*

Comment

Working...
                      X