Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a tragedy for historical fiction?

I have an interesting idea for what might make a good short story, but I'm questioning whether or not it's OK to use a tragedy as a setting for a "historical fiction" short story.

Or even a SciFi story.

So, what do you think?

I've seen variations on these, as short "kids" stories in local "big box" stores under "I Survived <whatever>"

But in the case of the short story idea I have, the villains actually cause the tragedy, but eventually get captured/killed.

Although I did think of another idea for a short SciFi story where a tragedy is prevented.

So, what say you?
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

I don't know if you ever read the Pendragon novels, they were somewhat similar to Doctor Who in that it takes place across time and space but they were oriented more towards children. In each story, they have to influence a turning point in a major civilization to save the planet. In the second or third book, they have to influence an event on First Earth, which is Earth in 1937 (Second Earth is present day, Third Earth is in the 51st century). The turning point? They had to blow up the Hindenburg (not prevent it, but actually blow it up) to save Earth completely. It was actually one of my favorite books from that series.

As such, I really don't see why you can't use a tragedy in historical fiction, though more recent events aren't going to do as well with something called the Gump Factor (named after Forrest Gump). The essence of it is, the more people know about a historical event, the harder it is to successfully place a fictional character there. The Assassin's Creed games pull it off to varying degrees, successfully placing a character in 11th century Persia but making it awkward when they have a fictional character influence the American Revolution.
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Quoth Aragarthiel View Post
      As such, I really don't see why you can't use a tragedy in historical fiction, though more recent events aren't going to do as well with something called the Gump Factor (named after Forrest Gump). The essence of it is, the more people know about a historical event, the harder it is to successfully place a fictional character there.
      The idea for my story is set in the early 20th century. I'd never heard of the Gump Factor, but that could come into play.

And this particular event has been done several times, even from a historical fiction perspective, but I haven't seen it done the way I'm wanting to do it.
      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I've seen alternate universe or alternate histories used in fiction, both fantasy and sci-fi. They're sort of a 'what if the outcome of a particular event was different than what really happened' type of thing. I've also seen authors retcon a historical event, change up the timelines and players a bit in order to tell a story.

I'd say go for it and tell the story you want! And then share it with us :P

Comment

You wouldn't be the first to do that, and you won't be the last. Go for it. "What if" is the biggest and most enduring theme in SF.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I'd be interested to read what you come up with.

I recently finished reading The Devil in the White City. Historical fiction, 1893 World Fair, serial killer.
            Your story may not have such a happy beginning, but that doesn't make you who you are. It is the rest of your story who you choose to be. So who are you? - Kung Fu Panda 2

Comment

Go for it. Why not? It's been done many, many times.

By the way, NotMyProblem, The Devil in the White City is not historical fiction. It's nonfiction. It happened. All of it. Erik Larson may take some license with presuming this or that for perspective, but his accounting of both the architect and the killer are both tellings of actual events. Larson just had a very easy writing style that makes it feel like fiction. It isn't.

(For those not familiar with the book, it is a fascinating look at two men, one the architect that designed the 1893 World's Fair in Chicago, and the other a serial killer who used that Fair to prey on his victims. The killer, Dr. H.H. Holmes, is considered by many to be America's first known serial killer. Or at least the first one with major media notoriety. And the estimate of his body count was considerably higher than most modern serial killers. It's a great read, and one I highly recommend.)

I once had a similar confusion. I was 2/3 of the way through Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil when I realized that what I thought was fiction wasn't. That author had a similarly easy, conversational writing style. And I wasn't at all familiar with the story, so that had something to do with it.
              Last edited by Jester; 10-28-2015, 10:58 AM.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

I would say, go for it, too. If tragedy couldn't be used as a basis for a story, you wouldn't have true crime novels like Bitter Blood by Jerry Bledsoe. Just treat the tragedy with grace and respect and you'll do fine.

The children who were killed in Bitter Blood were my school-mates, though I didn't know them very well.
                This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

Working...
                X