Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It wierds me out a bit when people do that, mostly because my parents and now husband only use my given first name when they were / are mad at me. Otherwise they use terms of endearment. So when I hear my real first name, I tense up. Though if I introduce myself, it seems to mitigate that, so I have built "my name is Wishful" into my check in speel.
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

I have regular ones that have been coming in the store for years who know my name. It kinda bothers me when it's a customer I don't know. And it always seems to be at the end of a transaction. I'll hand over the receipt, wish them well. And then it comes "Thank you, Trixie." Eww! Don't use my name! I don't know you!

When I first started this job our names used to appear on the receipts. Then one day the just stopped doing it. I'd be interested to know why, though I'm glad.
      I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

I think it depends a lot on where you work, too. At the little C-Store i work at, for example, the customers are almost all regulars, and all of them are pretty friendly. They expect to have a conversation when they come in, which is fine. It's all part of small town life. A place like that, you expect to hear your name used. Now, in a bigger city, different environment, I can see how the whole name thing could be bothersome. As others have said, don't use it in excess, and don't come off as a creepy stalker, and you should be fine! I'd watch how the waitress reacts, too. Does she seem to like you using her name? If she does, then go by the previous sentence. If she doesn't, then a simple 'thank you' to her will suffice.
        "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

I accept it, I'm not a fan of people using my name but that includes friends. 2 and and a half years with my partner and I am only just getting okay with him using my name.

Comment

In the early eighties I worked as a bank teller. The manager insisted on putting my full name on my sign, even though I begged him not to being a young lady living on my own. Sure enough, the day after the new phone books (remember them?) came out I started getting calls at 3:00 in the morning wanting to know what color panties I was wearing and other fun stuff like that.The sad thing is me manager still didn't see what the problem was!

Comment

The new registers print the signed-on cashier's name on the receipts now...annoying, as anyone who wants to pull a scam that was caught at the register can go to the desk and say the cashier screwed up. Mostly the ones who decide to complain will get their way (and the cashier gets audited for no reason) because "customer service".
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

If I don't know you, it's creepy. Even my regulars--who have been my customers for over 10 years in some cases--don't use my name at all.
                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                X