Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Londoners or Parisians (or anyone who'll just be in the neighborhood)?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Londoners or Parisians (or anyone who'll just be in the neighborhood)?

My partner and I are going to Europe at the end of the year! We're going to London first for two days, then Paris for four days, then back to London for two more days. On one of those London jaunts, we'll also be taking a day trip to Edinburgh.

I'm not quite sure of all the dates, but I do know we'll be in Paris on New Year's Eve.

So... I was wondering of any good CS'ers might either be in the area or might have suggestions. We already have our hotels and transportation put together, so the main concern now is affordable food -- specifically restaurants whose portions will please fat Americans not looking to snack again in three hours, and whose prices won't drain our wallets. We also have a huge list of things to see that we need to narrow down.

Anybody got anything to suggest?
    Drive it like it's a county car.

Greggs is good for snacks on the go. For restaurants find a Carvery. Otherwise I think your best bet would be pub food.
    Last edited by rvdammit; 11-07-2015, 10:13 AM.
    ludo ergo sum

Comment

Off topic, but I like that Greggs shows what's being done with the proceeds from charging for plastic bags (The Welsh Carrier Bag link).
      You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Bugger - London's a bit distant for me, but it's a nice enough place to simply visit.

Wetherspoons pubs - a chain with names such as 'the ferret and firkin' etc - tend to have reasonable fare. Greggs is more food on the go from my experience - greasy, satisfying, but more walk out of the shop and scarf it down. What sort of budget do you expect to spend on food? I've often eaten at Macdonalds for breakfast with orange juice and porridge for a cheap start to the day, and relatively nutritious. Most greasy spoon cafes will do a proper Full English for a reasonable sum, but hygiene standards vary so look for the green label in the window somewhere (rated one through five).

I can heartily recommend a wander around the British Museum and Natural History Museum if you're feeling nerdy enough. The Yeoman Warder tour around the Tower of London is hilarious.

Rapscallion

Comment

Food stalls at Borough Market are also excellent, but once again fud on the 'oof.
          ludo ergo sum

Comment

My sister's been to Paris, found it very overrated FWIW. She really likes Ireland though.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

After what just happened in Paris...I'd be very careful
              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                After what just happened in Paris...I'd be very careful
                Terrorists can eat my shit. I'm going to Paris.

Comment

There's a cafe in Edinburgh called The Edinburgh Larder that does amazing breakfast. The Beehive down on Grassmarket is also awesome for lunches/dinners. Both are pretty reasonable in terms of city prices, with the proviso that anywhere in Edinburgh is going to be slightly more pricey than you'd get anywhere else. If you're over in New Town, I also recommend Henderson's (veggie restaurant) which is really nice, even for carnivores!

London...there's a cheap cafe called the Stockpot on Compton Street (Soho) that does 'student budget' food but is really nice - I love their omelettes. The Rock'n'Sole Plaice on Endell Street in Covent Garden does the best fish and chips. I second Borough Market for nommy food and also recommend Covent Garden, although some places round there can be expensive.

And, uh, a day trip to Edinburgh from London...how are you getting there? That's an awful short time in Edinburgh city!
                  I speak English, L33t, Sarcasm and basic Idiot.

Comment

Quoth Antisocial_Worker View Post
                    Terrorists can eat my shit. I'm going to Paris.
                    Good for you!

There is one thing that I typed out before Friday's events and then deleted it but I will post it this time. Do be careful in Paris. Not for terrorists but for pickpockets and petty crime. They will be out in droves on NYE, my other half was mugged for his wallet and has a fetching scar from whe he was hit on the head by a bottle. They like throwing things too.

Yeah, how are you getting from London to Edinburgh? It's not near but I guess you know that!

Comment

Quoth houdini View Post
                      And, uh, a day trip to Edinburgh from London...how are you getting there? That's an awful short time in Edinburgh city!
                      Quoth muppet101 View Post
                      Yeah, how are you getting from London to Edinburgh? It's not near but I guess you know that!
                      Train. I think it's about six hours, but it gives us time to stare out the window at the passing scenes. Another train back that night. I think we have something like eight or ten hours in the city before our train back.

Quoth muppet101 View Post
                      Do be careful in Paris. Not for terrorists but for pickpockets and petty crime. They will be out in droves on NYE, my other half was mugged for his wallet and has a fetching scar from whe he was hit on the head by a bottle. They like throwing things too.
                      Petty crime and pickpockets are actually something I'm very concerned about. Most of what I've found online says that pretty much the only way to keep your belongings safe is to practically store them up your ass, because if you're so foolish as to think an interior pocket of your coat will protect your wallet, you'll get back to the hotel at the end of the day to find it gone and Pierre wuz here shaved into your chest hair -- and you didn't notice a thing untoward while you were out and about that day.

Any tips for keeping one's wallet where it belongs?
                      Last edited by Antisocial_Worker; 11-16-2015, 12:49 AM.

Comment

Train. I think it's about six hours, but it gives us time to stare out the window at the passing scenes. Another train back that night. I think we have something like eight or ten hours in the city before our train back.

Petty crime and pickpockets are actually something I'm very concerned about. Most of what I've found online says that pretty much the only way to keep your belongings safe is to practically store them up your ass, because if you're so foolish as to think an interior pocket of your coat will protect your wallet, you'll get back to the hotel at the end of the day to find it gone and Pierre wuz here shaved into your chest hair -- and you didn't notice a thing untoward while you were out and about that day.

Interior pocket of a jacket that you kept zipped up at all times.

Or a metal keychain (not one of those short ones, but a long one. Attach it to your wallet/purse, and to the front belt loop of your trousers.

Another idea, which I used when going through london, was a laptop/messenger back to keep your valuables in, but the key is to have it horizontally from your shoulder across your body, with the bag and the direction the zipper is facing being towards your front, and your wallet/purse/moneyholder as far away from that side as possible. So that if they try and open the zipper, you'll notice as you'll see it. Pretty much anything that makes it more work for them to try and get your valuables, because a pickpocket is an opportunity thief so they aren't going to want to rummage around trying to find your valuables.

Also, advice especially for london, but possibly useful at Glasgow when going va the train with either of them, go to the bathroom on the train, so you don't find yourself short when you're at the station, because those guys charge for, quite literally taking the piss
                        Last edited by RayvenQ; 11-16-2015, 01:24 AM.
                        I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

If you can find a small bag with a strap that can find around your body, you can wear it under your shirt right next to your skin. I have one that my mom made that I use when I travel for keeping my passport, cards and boarding passes in so I can sleep on the plane without worrying someone will pinch my stuff.
                          The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

This link has the results when I searched "hidden wallet." Re-sellers sell wallets that go around your neck or your waist. They even make wallet bras. That would be perfect if you were a woman, or a man that likes to wear a bra. After all, the chances that a pick pocket will be noticed will be greatly increased if they have to reach down the front of your shirt or your pants.

Also, keep your purse zipped up or buttoned up and under your arm. The strap should be slung across your chest like a "Miss America" sash. Also, don't hang them on chairs or hooks. Keep your purse in contact with your body when in public.

-----

This is a bit off topic, but this story was too good not to tell.

A woman was walking her dog when a robber snatched her purse. The only thing in her purse was stuff her dog left behind.
                            This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

Working...
                            X