This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arizona Is Laughing At You

So I have been watching bad disaster movies.

Why?

.... They amuse me, greatly.

So there was one I was watching where I couldn't even get into the premise.

The movie? Meltdown: Days of Destruction.

Th premise? Oh hold to your computers... a company wants to test their asteroid moving bomb system when one of the scientist at the company says (basically) 'We don't know what this asteroid is made of if we test we can die!' people ignore him and do the test and oh no!!! the bomb broke the asteroid in to 3 pieces and the biggest is coming close to earth! Time for crazy!

bullshit science # 1 the chunk of asteroid doesn't hit earth but apparent passes close enough to push earth into a closer orbit. This means the earths temperatures are going to rise into deadly levels!! with the top temp being.... 150... um yes that's hot but not everyone is boiling to death bad more like... we have to live underground now... and on the water...

bullshit science #2 there is a scene where cars start exploding because the heat is so high its making the gas boil and the engine to backfire. they show the scientist dude holding a thermostat reading the temp outside and it reads...... 129.... fahrenheit if that F is to be believed. ummmmmmmmmm a bullshit. I looked this up online..... this is a Canadian movie but.... Movie directors do everyone a favor: STUDY ABOUT THE WORLD!!!!!!!! PLEASE!! Phoenix summers can hit 130 and trust me our cars aren't just blowing up all the time. Gasoline needs to be at 160 to boil as well. Also boats will not be blowing up on the water and planes wont be blowing up in the air.

bullshit science #3 everyone but the main characters and main bad guy looks like they where in a nuclear explosion. Ok Again ARIZONA!! these people are shown with hats or other head coverings... yes you can get bad sunburns but 3rd degree fire-esq burns... no Ive had a bad sunburns. even one almost 3rd degree once cause my sunblock wore of faster than expected and younger people where more important to sunblock than myself. look again Canada made this movie so bullshit character thing #1 is everyone is wearing layers and long sleeves and pants even when inside or at night but the burns your showing on their body are not possible with the amount of clothing covering. These are the kind of burns people get when they lay on the hot asphalt for like an hour at the hottest part of the day. not someone running around.

Also back to the clothing thing, this wearing long sleeved clothing is good in extreme conditions cause it can not only provide protection but you can get it damp to keep you cooler longer even when its hot. But you also put yourself at risk for heat stroke if you actually don't keep them damp at lest around their neck to keep their brain cool so you don;t die. But in order for that to work you have to remove some of that clothing at night or inside because your body is going to be excessively hot and you need to let it some of it be released. That is why in more accurate movies and TV shows people in extreme desert climates who may wear a lot outside will take off a vest or face scarf when they get inside. This why i'm almost a nudist. I've almost had heat stroke once, I was so dehydrated and hot that once I could rest and re-hydrate I removed my outer layer of shirts poured water on my body/neck area to drop my body temperature a bit only to put on my dry shirt again to feel less like my death was on the horizon.

You have characters passing out from heat and dehydration and you cant remove one of those long sleeve shirts when your in a tunnel you know is 40 degree cooler than the outside world? No bad Canada! No cookie for you.

and bullshit science #4 of horrible stupidness. Scientist guy says if the earth moves back into its orbit you will know cause it will be raining... ohhhhh boy.... ok someone needs a lesson in the water cycle ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWb4KlM2vts) all you need for rain is moisture in the air and a slight drop in temp, if its so hot you probably have more evaporation happening and lost of hydrogen yeah but you will still have rain. Venus has rain. it just doesn't rain water.

but the characters are funnily bad and it amuses me.
    Last edited by Sliceanddice; 11-08-2015, 12:14 PM.

there's also a 5th point. Any impact large enough to actually change Earth's orbit enough to make a difference in the average surface temperature would also be big enough to cause major damage. (the earth's orbit is not a perfect sphere- it varies by about 15 million kilometers anyway. If you take the actual habitable zone- where it would be impossible to live on earth- it would take the orbit being cut by about a third to out us in danger. ( indeed, there are estimates that we are actually within the habitable zone even IF there are runaway greenhouse gas emissions- just barely, but we are. it'd still be a lot hotter than at present, but not to the point that life would be impossible)

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
      I looked this up online..... this is a Canadian movie but.... Movie directors do everyone a favor: STUDY ABOUT THE WORLD!!!!!!!! PLEASE!! Phoenix summers can hit 130 and trust me our cars aren't just blowing up all the time.
      Just curious.....when has it gotten to be 130 degrees in Phoenix? As far as I know, the highest summer temp we've gotten was 122.

Comment

According to Wikipedia, the hottest air temperature (56.7 °C - 134 °F) was recorded in Death Valley, California, on 13 July 1913. The hottest ground temperature (93.9 °C - 201 °F) was also recorded in Death Valley on 15 July 1972.

It appears the hottest temperature ( 53 °C - 128 °F)) in Arizona was at Lake Havasu City on 29 June 1994.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

They don't even need to do any research beyond baking something. If 150 was enough to make cars explode, then wouldn't the 400 degrees it takes to cook a frozen pizza melt our skin off?
          The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

You reminded me of a made-for-tv movie from the 90's called Asteroid. It came out at the same time as Armageddon and Deep Impact, trying to capitalize on the asteroid fear. And my husband couldn't take it seriously while trying to watch it (as a pre-teen/teen) because people were wearing jackets while watching fireworks on the Fourth of July.

In Texas.

Hubby's from Texas. He says he can't remember the last time the temperatures got cool enough in July for jackets in the evening.
            "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
            - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth KellyHabersham View Post
              Just curious.....when has it gotten to be 130 degrees in Phoenix? As far as I know, the highest summer temp we've gotten was 122.
              Im basing that claim on living in the mesa area sitting on my nanas patio and the thermometer she has out there reading 130.

Quoth sstabeler View Post
              there's also a 5th point. Any impact large enough to actually change Earth's orbit enough to make a difference in the average surface temperature would also be big enough to cause major damage. (the earth's orbit is not a perfect sphere- it varies by about 15 million kilometers anyway. If you take the actual habitable zone- where it would be impossible to live on earth- it would take the orbit being cut by about a third to out us in danger. ( indeed, there are estimates that we are actually within the habitable zone even IF there are runaway greenhouse gas emissions- just barely, but we are. it'd still be a lot hotter than at present, but not to the point that life would be impossible)
              the asteroid didn't impact, it just grazed the atmosphere. The better plot would have been damage to the atmosphere instead of we must have changed orbit!!
              Last edited by Sliceanddice; 11-09-2015, 04:27 AM.

Comment

Going back into BS1, that would have had to have been one hell of a dense asteroid to the point of being comprised of a super dense material not on the periodic table of elements. Why? The Moon is FAR larger than any recorded asteroid this side of the belt and It's not having more than a tidal effect. The only way an asteroid is going to have any effect on Earth's orbit is if it's REALLY big (to the point of "small moon" big) and it hits the planet. And before people bring up "it was moving really fast so it could have pulled it", kinetic energy does not have a bearing on gravitational fields.

To summarize, BS1 is bull because gravitational mechanics do not work that way. Yee gads, I learned about the 4 fundamental forces in elementary school. How they butchered it so badly I'll never know.
                I AM the evil bastard!
                A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I can't comment on your Nana's patio, as I've never been there, other than to say that if you saw 130F on a thermometer there, either you read it wrong or the thermometer was miscalibrated or the thermometer as just defective.

Because the hottest day on record in the Valley of the Sun was June 26, 1990, when it topped out at 122F. I remember. I was there.

And just in case I was misremembering or it had topped that temperature since I've lived here in Florida, I double checked my information, and every reputable source on the net agrees with me.

Moving beyond that point, I agree with you that the movie is idiotic in its "science."

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                  Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                    I can't comment on your Nana's patio, as I've never been there, other than to say that if you saw 130F on a thermometer there, either you read it wrong or the thermometer was miscalibrated or the thermometer as just defective.
                    I'd be willing to hazard that it's defective. We just moved into a house we bought in the south, and I noticed a thermometer hanging outside the dining area windows. Every time I looked at it this summer, it's read a temperature that was definitely not the actual temperature outside. I'm pretty sure the one we have in the window here is busted.
                    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Working...
                    X