This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a hypocrite!

So the other week I found an old horror movie on youtube from the early 70s--not quite public domain, but old. Someone commented

I have reported this video as copyright infringement. You did not make this movie and you should not benefit anything of distributing it to millions. I am sure the FBI agrees.

So I jogged over to that person's channel and what did I see? A metric ton of music videos she didn't make. I'm pretty sure she's not Madonna. Hypocrite.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

The answer seems clear to me. You should copy & paste her exact comment into the comments on her videos & then report them for copyright infringement. Give her a taste of her own medicine!
    "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
    --StanFlouride

Comment

I don't want to sink to her level.

Comment

Sure you do. Give her a chance to curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal.

Besides, where would YouTube be without copyright infringement? The site was*built* on people posting infringing videos and stealing/re-uploading others' original content.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I suddenly feel guilty. I watch a loooooot of youtube. I mean a lot. I burn 90 gigs of data a month.

Comment

I don't see anything wrong with posting movies and music videos to Youtube as long as you give proper credit to the creators. I've found a lot of great music that way that I never would have known about otherwise, and I usually buy the song then.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Music is a grey area (there are ways to download videos/audio from YouTube, so it's not foolproof anti-theft), but you're right in that I've heard songs that way that I then wanted to go purchase.

With movies so old there aren't readily available ways to see them otherwise, then Hubby and I find that more acceptable, within reason (proper credit, no monetization, etc.). Because otherwise we wouldn't be able to see it. But if it's something available via Netflix, Redbox, Amazon, etc., then we go the route that actually nets the intellectual property owner some money. Or find it at the public library if it's available there.
              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                Music is a grey area (there are ways to download videos/audio from YouTube, so it's not foolproof anti-theft), but you're right in that I've heard songs that way that I then wanted to go purchase.

With movies so old there aren't readily available ways to see them otherwise, then Hubby and I find that more acceptable, within reason (proper credit, no monetization, etc.). Because otherwise we wouldn't be able to see it. But if it's something available via Netflix, Redbox, Amazon, etc., then we go the route that actually nets the intellectual property owner some money. Or find it at the public library if it's available there.
                Yeah, I have Amazon Prime so I watch stuff there sometimes. I can listen to music there as well. I can't always tell with a 30 second soundbite if the song is something I want to buy, so with Prime I can hear the whole thing and then decide. It usually ends up with me buying the song, or sometimes the whole album.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Informative:

Some public library systems (eg: UK) pay the author copyright holder per borrowing. In those which do, it's only a fraction of a cent, but it can add up to a nice little sum. And it's a very welcome gesture - especially since public library systems are so often desperately short of funds.
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I've listened to music on Youtube plenty of times, some of it being big named artists and some of it being people who play sheet music on [whatever instrument]. Yes I have watched episodes of old shows before, but it's almost always been on the official channel.

Have I watched things that were posted on a normal channel? Yes, but then I've turned around and bought the DVD/CD/whatever -- but if it's one or two songs, I can find elsewhere to listen.
                    Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Working...
                    X